speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, several weeks ago I was messing around with some Krazy glue. That being said, I somehow managed to get some on my kitchen table about the size of a half dollar coin. Anyone here know of an easy way, as well as, inexpensive way to get it off? The table itself is really not worth that much, but my MOM did buy it for me several years ago. Every time I look at it, I think of my MOM whom passed away back in 2013. As such, it is of sentimental value to me. Any suggestions on how to get the Krazy glue off of the table? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-super-glue-wood-tables-35362.html

I think you can expect there to always be discoloration, but these methods should get it to all one level surface.
Thanks Kurt. Will look into this. Maybe this Spring(2017) I will sand the entire table and put some primer on it. Then, paint it to match my decor more. If it weren't for the sentimental value it holds, I would just ditch it! Being a single guy I just need a very small table and say (2) chairs. Appreciate the link.

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Try the acetone thing first and see how it comes out. Hint: Acetone = fingernail polish remover.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Your spouse do sniff it not adhere things, geezzz :D

Folks, several weeks ago I was messing around with some Krazy glue. That being said, I somehow managed to get some on my kitchen table about the size of a half dollar coin. Anyone here know of an easy way, as well as, inexpensive way to get it off? The table itself is really not worth that much, but my MOM did buy it for me several years ago. Every time I look at it, I think of my MOM whom passed away back in 2013. As such, it is of sentimental value to me. Any suggestions on how to get the Krazy glue off of the table? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks Kurt. Will look into this. Maybe this Spring(2017) I will sand the entire table and put some primer on it. Then, paint it to match my decor more. If it weren't for the sentimental value it holds, I would just ditch it! Being a single guy I just need a very small table and say (2) chairs. Appreciate the link.

Cheers,

Phil
What is the table made of and what kind of finish is on it?

The best way to remove Cyanoacrylate (Krazy Gue, Super Glue, etc) of any kind is with Acetone. Unfortunately for almost all finishes, the best way to remove them is with Acetone.

If the table is wood and was finished with a clear varnish, it's possible to use a razor blade to scrape some of the glue off, followed by sanding and polishing the area. Put two layers of masking tape on the area around the glue in the same shape and gently scrape without bending the blade until the blade scrapes the tape, remove one layer of tape and repeat. Be patient. Once you get to the second layer, wrap fine sandpaper around a small piece of wood that's flat, so you can gently sand the glue. 600 grit is about as coarse as I would use and it will leave the surface slightly white with fine grooves. Be paitient. Don't sand in a random pattern, just back & forth. You'll need to concentrate more on the center, so the outer edge will be higher. Be very patient. Use the blade to check for a small indentation (low spot) in the center by placing the edge across the glue, with the blade in a vertical position. You want to see a fine line of light from the other side. Once you see this, use the sandpaper to remove the sharp edge from the corners of the blade, to prevent scratching the finish. Remove the tape and scrape the glue with the blade again, watching for the glue to become flush with the original finish.

However, you may want to start by taking the corners off of the blade and gently scraping the glue- if the table has been waxed, it may pop off. If it does, you can use white ScotchBrite and paste wax to renew the top.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't use acetone on any kind of printed finish, like old laminate. I wiped some on the kitchen table when I was a kid and it took the pattern right off. That. Did. Not. Go. Well. For. Me.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Try the acetone thing first and see how it comes out. Hint: Acetone = fingernail polish remover.
Very good idea. Will give that a try first. Been reading up on that very suggestion. Thanks Ken!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What is the table made of and what kind of finish is on it?

The best way to remove Cyanoacrylate (Krazy Gue, Super Glue, etc) of any kind is with Acetone. Unfortunately for almost all finishes, the best way to remove them is with Acetone.

If the table is wood and was finished with a clear varnish, it's possible to use a razor blade to scrape some of the glue off, followed by sanding and polishing the area. Put two layers of masking tape on the area around the glue in the same shape and gently scrape without bending the blade until the blade scrapes the tape, remove one layer of tape and repeat. Be patient. Once you get to the second layer, wrap fine sandpaper around a small piece of wood that's flat, so you can gently sand the glue. 600 grit is about as coarse as I would use and it will leave the surface slightly white with fine grooves. Be paitient. Don't sand in a random pattern, just back & forth. You'll need to concentrate more on the center, so the outer edge will be higher. Be very patient. Use the blade to check for a small indentation (low spot) in the center by placing the edge across the glue, with the blade in a vertical position. You want to see a fine line of light from the other side. Once you see this, use the sandpaper to remove the sharp edge from the corners of the blade, to prevent scratching the finish. Remove the tape and scrape the glue with the blade again, watching for the glue to become flush with the original finish.

However, you may want to start by taking the corners off of the blade and gently scraping the glue- if the table has been waxed, it may pop off. If it does, you can use white ScotchBrite and paste wax to renew the top.
Not really sure what it is made of. Some kind of wood. Your suggestions echo Kurt's post. Ken mentioned trying finger nail polish remover. Plan to try just a very small amount and see what happens. other wise, I will get some acetone, sand paper, and etc. I am sure Lowes would have what I need. Thanks very much for the detailed directions. May have to look at this post several times before it is all said and done.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic

Cheers,

Phil
Try some nail polish remover, that should take care of it with minimal damage if any, can't remember what I use it on several times but results were positive...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Try some nail polish remover, that should take care of it with minimal damage if any, can't remember what I use it on several times but results were positive...
Yeah plan to do just that. Bit sleepy right now so will work on it tomorrow. Live real close to a Dollar Store. Will go buy some in the morning. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I failed to mention that I went a little crazy with the Krazy glue.....LOL!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: Never knew that stuff would glue so fast AND so strong. Holy smokes! They are NOT kidding when they claim that. I won't even go into how I got it all over my hands. That was quite an ordeal in and of itself. Lets just say next time I mess w/Krazy glue I will be much more careful......LOL!!!!! Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! It is most helpful.

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Folks, I failed to mention that I went a little crazy with the Krazy glue.....LOL!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: Never knew that stuff would glue so fast AND so strong. Holy smokes! They are NOT kidding when they claim that. I won't even go into how I got it all over my hands. That was quite an ordeal in and of itself. Lets just say next time I mess w/Krazy glue I will be much more careful......LOL!!!!! Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! It is most helpful.

Cheers,

Phil
LOL. Yeah, I usually wear gloves when I use CA glues! I have indeed glued my fingers together in the past, it's easy to do.

Yup, acetone is the go-to for CA removal.

I also wanted to mention a point here--Fingernail polish remover typically isn't pure acetone, it typically has other ingredients, solvents, additives, etc. I tend to look for pure acetone, but I honestly can't tell you if the other ingredients in nail polish remover are better or worse for removing materials or discoloring the base materials. Regardless, I wanted to make the point that Nail Polish Remover is not ONLY Acetone.

And, be careful with Acetone around plastics. For example, acetone will dissolve ABS!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
LOL. Yeah, I usually wear gloves when I use CA glues! I have indeed glued my fingers together in the past, it's easy to do.

Yup, acetone is the go-to for CA removal.

I also wanted to mention a point here--Fingernail polish remover typically isn't pure acetone, it typically has other ingredients, solvents, additives, etc. I tend to look for pure acetone, but I honestly can't tell you if the other ingredients in nail polish remover are better or worse for removing materials or discoloring the base materials. Regardless, I wanted to make the point that Nail Polish Remover is not ONLY Acetone.

And, be careful with Acetone around plastics. For example, acetone will dissolve ABS!
The actual spot/area that I got the Krazy glue on is really not that big. Going to cautiously try a little bit of finger nail polish remover and see what happens. If that does NOT do the trick, then I will go to Lowe's and get some acetone, sand paper, and etc. Honestly, I believe that the finger nail polish remover will suffice. At least, that is my hope. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The actual spot/area that I got the Krazy glue on is really not that big. Going to cautiously try a little bit of finger nail polish remover and see what happens. If that does NOT do the trick, then I will go to Lowe's and get some acetone, sand paper, and etc. Honestly, I believe that the finger nail polish remover will suffice. At least, that is my hope. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
If the polish remover doesn't do it (it likely will), then I doubt that pure acetone will do it either. Acetone is indeed the main ingredient in polish remover.

I was just making the point that saying "Nail Polish Remover is Acetone" isn't true. Nail polish remover is acetone and some other ingredients is true.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If the polish remover doesn't do it (it likely will), then I doubt that pure acetone will do it either. Acetone is indeed the main ingredient in polish remover.

I was just making the point that saying "Nail Polish Remover is Acetone" isn't true. Nail polish remover is acetone and some other ingredients is true.
Yeah that is why I am going to be very careful. Hopefully, it will not discolor the finish. If it does it dies. Once Spring arrives next year I will just sand it down and put a coat or two of primer on it. Then, paint it to match my decor more. Going to avoid that if possible though. Anyways, thanks once again for the tips/info. The same goes for everyone that has offered to help. YOU guys rock!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, the finger nail polish remover did not do the trick. In fact, it did absolutely nothing to the Krazy Glue. BTW, I used Super Glue, but have been referring to it as Krazy Glue. Not really sure if that makes any difference at all. At first, I applied only a little bit of the finger nail polish remover. Then, a bit more and so on but all to no avail. The good thing is though, there is no discoloration at all on my table.

Got some errands to run tomorrow so I will go by Lowe's and see what they have to say/advise. Will also get some razor blades and sand paper just in case. I doubt that Acetone is going to be of any help at this point. Of course, I could also be wrong. Any other suggestions? All are welcome. Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Folks, the finger nail polish remover did not do the trick. In fact, it did absolutely nothing to the Krazy Glue. BTW, I used Super Glue, but have been referring to it as Krazy Glue. Not really sure if that makes any difference at all. At first, I applied only a little bit of the finger nail polish remover. Then, a bit more and so on but all to no avail. The good thing is though, there is no discoloration at all on my table.

Got some errands to run tomorrow so I will go by Lowe's and see what they have to say/advise. Will also get some razor blades and sand paper just in case. I doubt that Acetone is going to be of any help at this point. Of course, I could also be wrong. Any other suggestions? All are welcome. Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Phil
Did you let it soak or just wipe it on with a rag. The nail polish "should" do it, but don't expect it to an instant fix.

But, yeah the hardware store may be able to help you.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Did you let it soak or just wipe it on with a rag. The nail polish "should" do it, but don't expect it to an instant fix.

But, yeah the hardware store may be able to help you.
No, I did not let it soak very long. Will try again and see what happens. Let it soak a bit. Guess, I was so concerned it was going to tarnish the finish somewhat. Very good idea. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No, I did not let it soak very long. Will try again and see what happens. Let it soak a bit. Guess, I was so concerned it was going to tarnish the finish somewhat. Very good idea. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah, I hate to tell you, but your finish is probably already toast. Hopefully it will be minimal, and an acetone soak isn't gonna do it any good either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis