klipsch vs jbl bookshelf / receiver compatibility

Z

Zero*Ego

Audiophyte
right now i'm looking at two pairs of bookshelfs to replace existing surrounds.
A.) klipsch kb-15 2way 85w rms, 62hz-23khz freq. res., 94db sensitivity $100.
B.) jbl es20 3way 60w rms, 60hz-40khz freq. res., 86db sensitivity $130.
the jbl's have a bit better freq. response, but the klipsch have greater sensitivity and more wattage. NOW, my receiver is 100w per channel, so if i go with the klipsch which is 80w rms is my receiver going to do them justice? I've wanted to try klipsch for a good while and for $100 i think the kb-15's would be the cheapest taste i could find, if i like then maybe replace the rest of my setup eventually. thanks for any/all help.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
62 vs 60 hz you probably won't even be able to tell the difference, especially for surrounds. Wattage is irrelevant, but sensitivity is a factor because it will require a lot less power to drive them. What really matters more than any of that is, do you like the way they sound? If not, it doesn't matter what specs it has if you aren't happy with them, and those specs don't tell you how they sound. What are your other speakers, because I'd try to stick with something closer to what you have up front.

Last edited:
Z

Zero*Ego

Audiophyte
i have an older setup, all kenwood. VR-806 receiver and JL-996 main floors, crs-156 center and surrounds. nothing special, but they've always done the job for me. Problem i have is i might be able to listen to the klipsch at best buy, if they are set up. but the jbl's i found on amazon so chances are i won't have any way to hear either.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am going to say the two will sound quite different, but it is less critical to match your surrounds to the rest. Getting "closer" to the speakers you have will still be a benefit to you because something that sounds a lot different will be distracting. My guess is the JBLs will fit the bill better, as the Klipsch are horn speakers and likely much higher sensitivity than your current ones as well.

I'd STRONGLY suggest you consider the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR in your price range also. Should be just under $100 at Best Buy and they are a solid speaker.

A bigger upgrade would be to move what you have now to surround duty and upgrade the front 3.

Z

Zero*Ego

Audiophyte
actually that pioneer is on the list, and a polk as well. the klipsch n jbl were just the "top two". completely understand the matching the sound i already have. and the klipsch would definitely be the biggest gamble in that catagory. thanks for the help/suggestions.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
right now i'm looking at two pairs of bookshelfs to replace existing surrounds.
A.) klipsch kb-15 2way 85w rms, 62hz-23khz freq. res., 94db sensitivity $100.
B.) jbl es20 3way 60w rms, 60hz-40khz freq. res., 86db sensitivity $130.
he jbl's have a bit better freq. response, but the klipsch have greater sensitivity and more wattage.
Klipsch tends to stretch their sensitivity - they will be lucky to hit around 90/91 db
The JBL speakers will not easily faint.

They will both sound different - I also recommend the Pioneer speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zero*Ego

Audiophyte
Sorry to necro my initial post but i took your guys advice and went with the Pioneer BS22 (also picked up the C22 center) and COULD NOT BE HAPPIER, these really are great speakers for the price ($80 for bs22, $68 for c22). I'll be adding a pair of the FS52's later this year. Thanks very much for the advice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis