Klipsch "The Sixes"

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
All IMO and pardon the generalities svp...

Heresies are inherently limited. They don't dig deep, and they require floor placement in order to dig as deep as they do, which forces the sound stage to present from down at your knees. If you raise them up on stands for improved imaging they require further taming of the highs in order to avoid a strident tonal balance. Heresies w/ subs have the potential to kick major butt but require some dialing in.

Go listen to the Heresies, but keep an eye on the used market to see what else is out there. Forte II are my faves among their old monkey coffin style models, with honorable mention to first generation CF-4.

And good luck. A Klipsch hunt requires some luck and patience.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
All IMO and pardon the generalities svp...

Heresies are inherently limited. They don't dig deep, and they require floor placement in order to dig as deep as they do, which forces the sound stage to present from down at your knees. If you raise them up on stands for improved imaging they require further taming of the highs in order to avoid a strident tonal balance. Heresies w/ subs have the potential to kick major butt but require some dialing in.

Go listen to the Heresies, but keep an eye on the used market to see what else is out there. Forte II are my faves among their old monkey coffin style models, with honorable mention to first generation CF-4.

And good luck. A Klipsch hunt requires some luck and patience.
I just spoke to the owner, he is a smoker and admitted they would need to be cleaned. I spoke to my wife who says hell to the no, she was on board until I just told her about the smoke. I believe I can clean them sufficiently to remove the smoke smell but the smoke also adheres to the speakers and can affect their durability.

I'm not sure now, going to keep looking but have an appointment to see these and listen to them Sat.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

How industrious are you? Are you willing to glue and screw together a kit? For similar prices to used Klipsch in minty condition you could build a pair of Fusion 12 Tempests from diysoundgroup.com. I did, and they compare favorably with Heresies in every possible way. The kits will set you back ~$900 give or take, and they're idiot-proof enough for the likes of me, very novice friendly.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
How industrious are you? Are you willing to glue and screw together a kit? For similar prices to used Klipsch in minty condition you could build a pair of Fusion 12 Tempests from diysoundgroup.com. I did, and they compare favorably with Heresies in every possible way. The kits will set you back ~$900 give or take, and they're idiot-proof enough for the likes of me, very novice friendly.
If I had the free time, yeah would love to put together a pair. Time is something I don't have a lot of sadly, too many family things going on.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
With my asthma and allergies, I, too, would avoid speakers from a smoker. I'd thank him for his honesty! Watch C.L. and evil-bay - more will surface. Also, sniff the grillcloth and woofer surround for evidence of damp storage (mold).

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
With my asthma and allergies, I, too, would avoid speakers from a smoker. I'd thank him for his honesty! Watch C.L. and evil-bay - more will surface. Also, sniff the grillcloth and woofer surround for evidence of damp storage (mold).
Ex-military guy was honest right from the start and when I told him it couldn't be done due to the smoke instead of being triggered he said no problem and we had a long conversation and solved world issues without any beer. :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
There are several ways of responding. :D
They asked me that question some time around November. I haven't stopped my industriousness since. First with the main speakers, then the sub, and recently a pair of bookshelf speakers, and I am eyeing the 8" little brothers to my main speakers. Then I was asked about DIY amplifiers. I've had to give audio stuff away to free up cu. ft of space. And I am strictly 2 channel. I can't even imagine if I was a movie head.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I checked in on this thread because my boss's neighbor heard about the speakers I built, the stereo gear I have acquired, and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his Klipsch Quartet speakers for $150 or in trade for some welding work he needs on his boat. I've only heard one pair of Klipsch speakers a few months ago and I was not impressed. But I am sure they were their lower tier models.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Quartets are actually pretty decent as far as classic Klipsch go, part of the 'extended Heritage' line from the early 90's. Not as good as Tempests, but better than any Klipsch you'll find at Best Buy (IMO and all that). $150? That's exactly the sort of deal the OP should be looking out for.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Quartets are actually pretty decent as far as classic Klipsch go, part of the 'extended Heritage' line from the early 90's. Not as good as Tempests, but better than any Klipsch you'll find at Best Buy (IMO and all that). $150? That's exactly the sort of deal the OP should be looking out for.
That's what he said. He had them in an apartment back in the 90's before they bought their home. He hasn't had a music system since. They're just. . .there. I was thinking about getting them to gift them to someone else I know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis