Klipsch "The Sixes"

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Aside from buying height speakers for the bedroom. I am seriously giving The Sixes from Klipsch consideration to replace a set of Elac B6's in my 2.1 system.

Is anybody else buying or bought a set yet?

The-Sixes-Hero-2.jpg

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
So, got home late from work and decided to fire up the Eagles Live 1977 in HD from the Capital Centre on the admittedly very low cost system consisting of an HP Server with a high end Creative Gold PCI sound card, Marantz SR5003 (awesome AVR I bought new 8 years ago) a brand new pair of Elac B6's and an AV123 MFW15 I rebuilt from spare parts all going through a good Rat Shack mixer I bought over a decade ago.

I have been breaking in the Elac's as a replacment to a pair of AV123 XL-S bookshelfs that actually sound pretty good, the Elac's after breaking in image better and have better upper end but paired with that beefy MFW15 is rocking the basement but good, I didn't expect much from this setup.

Still want to get "The Sixes".... :)

H

hmurchison

Enthusiast
I'm going to buy them probably late this year and like you, iv'e been looking for reviews. I have the R-15PM which I like ..I just want more oomph that you get from larger drivers and cabinet and the look of these are stunning.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
Why "The Sixes"? I don't see the allure - $800 for a pair of RP-160M/RB-61ii speaker equivalents with a likely Class T switching amp rated at 1% THD seems a bit outlandish. You could have a lot more versatile system with far better spec's, including a discrete device analog Class AB output amp for less with the aforementioned speakers and, say, an Onkyo TX-8160 stereo receiver with more digital connectivity. That way, if the BT or WiFi develops a fault, you won't have to send one of your speakers in for service! And... most folks have an earlier stereo receiver or AVR that they could press into service while their receiver was being serviced. BTW, I've had their basic 50 Wpc entry level TX-8020 stereo receiver, with <.08% THD and no digital inputs, for three years driving KB-15's, R-15M's, RB-81ii's, and even a pair of '77-vintage Heresy's - first in my office and later in my bonus room, with no problems.

I will admit, however, that "The Sixes" do look nice!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Why "The Sixes"? I don't see the allure - $800 for a pair of RP-160M/RB-61ii speaker equivalents with a likely Class T switching amp rated at 1% THD seems a bit outlandish. You could have a lot more versatile system with far better spec's, including a discrete device analog Class AB output amp for less with the aforementioned speakers and, say, an Onkyo TX-8160 stereo receiver with more digital connectivity. That way, if the BT or WiFi develops a fault, you won't have to send one of your speakers in for service! And... most folks have an earlier stereo receiver or AVR that they could press into service while their receiver was being serviced. BTW, I've had their basic 50 Wpc entry level TX-8020 stereo receiver, with <.08% THD and no digital inputs, for three years driving KB-15's, R-15M's, RB-81ii's, and even a pair of '77-vintage Heresy's - first in my office and later in my bonus room, with no problems.

I will admit, however, that "The Sixes" do look nice!
So you're guessing on the amplifier specs and yes it could be easier and cheaper to do it like you said. For me, having been buying systems since the 70's I'm looking for something different. I like the look of these speakers, I like that they have built in amplification and for my purposes this isn't a purchase of need, it's a purchase of want, well like most stereo equipment is.

The Sixes speak to me, they're beautiful, not vinyl, actual veneer, yes the RP-160M's with a good amp would likely be just as good and I almost bought a set but again, the Sixes are what I decided on, the sub connection for my 2.1 system is a nice addition, since my 2ch amp lacked one now the sub will blend in nicely with The Sixes.

Sometimes it's not about the money... plus veneer

Last edited:
J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
No guessing on amp spec's for The Sixes - I refer you to Klipsch's spec sheet! Power = 100W (X2) @ < 1% THD; freq resp = 40 Hz - 20 kHz @ -3 dB; Max SPL @ 1 m (2 channels) = 105 dB. Weight of the right speaker, the one with all of the electronics, is 1.74 lb heavier than than the left. That - and the wide range of AC power input of 110V - 240V AC tells me that the power supply is, like the power amplifiers, switching mode. I'll restate that they are neat looking - with the grille cloth covers on - and their little risers - they look kind of like little Heresy's (You could buy one Heresy new for a few $ more, too!).

Oh - that <$150 Onkyo stereo receiver is 2.1 ready - it has a L+R sub-woofer output. There is no need to rationalize further - you have the 'wants' - they are difficult to fight. My most recent such fight landed me a new model, the Emotiva A-100 BasX, 50 Wpc amp to replace my year-old earlier model, the a-100 mini-X... because the newest model has a headphone jack! Oddly, 12/68, when I got my AR Amplifier - it didn't have a headphone jack - so I made it one externally. Of course, then I was a poor college student - about to enter the USN - and now I am retired. As you said, now - money isn't everything. I hope you enjoy 'The Sixes'! Let me know if that cute gal, or more useful at my age, that big chair she is sitting in on the ad copy for The Sixes comes with them...

John

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
JRT3,

I was referring to your comment " with a likely Class T switching amp rated at 1% THD seems a bit outlandish" which to me sounded like guessing. I appreciate you posting the actual specs, I should have gone back and looked myself. They do indeed look like Heresy's with the grills on, and I'll also add I would love to buy the new Forte III or any of those models, they're all beautiful and sound incredible.

I find the advertising funny for The Sixes, I love the furnishings and the overall look but a turntable on the same surface and the selfies, oy vey.

I believe in how something looks as well in how it performs and The Sixes from what I have heard from the very few who have talked about them is they sound fantastic plus they awesome looking. Specs wise, the frequency response on The Sixes is better than the RP-160M's, enough to where I believe you can hear better bass response via The Sixes.

Are they worth $799.00, won't know until they show up. I have no use for any receiver in this mix. I have a spare Marantz SR5009 I could dedicate but I want less clutter in my 2.1 system, not more, which is another reason I should have mentioned.

I was toying with a pair of RP-160M's using a pair of Marantz THX MA500's which I really would love to do... dammit now I'm re-thinking this whole thing.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
When AVS tested their little brothers, they beat on them hard specifically to test the amp/speaker pairing and found them to be fairly unflappable. I doubt Klipsch did a worse job with the more expensive model.

Be sure to share your impressions when they arrive. Hopefully their performance will match their good looks and convenience.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
When AVS tested their little brothers, they beat on them hard specifically to test the amp/speaker pairing and found them to be fairly unflappable. I doubt Klipsch did a worse job with the more expensive model.

Be sure to share your impressions when they arrive. Hopefully their performance will match their good looks and convenience.
We'll see! :)

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I wanted a 'simple' stereo in my home office to replace my aging Philips CD-960 CDP and FA-50 integrated amp, both of which suffered fatal failures within days of each other (My AR Amp died years before. I still have the AR XA turntable, but lost my vinyl collection.). I 'tried' to recycle/repurpose old Yamaha Surround Sound AVRs & DVD players, along with earlier bookshelf surround speakers - and even a 10" Sony sub. The AVRs had problems - the DVD player ran wild and ruined several CD's - I finally decided it was time to buy new... I put a $500 limit for CDP, stereo receiver, and a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. I wasn't too far off: CDP Onkyo C-7030 ($169); 50 Wpc stereo receiver Onkyo TX-8020 ($159); and two NHT SuperOne 2.1's ($210/pr) - but enjoyed that system for a few months before adding a JBL SUB550P sub - then trying various Klipsch small bookshelf speakers ending in a pair of RB-81ii's - and that first Emotiva amp. My 'bonus' room is littered with older stereo/HT 'relics'.

I wanted a pair of Heresys since first hearing them forty-five years ago. When I became re-interested, they were $1,700/pr - now they are $2,000/pr. After selling my model collection last fall, I could afford one Heresy - or a nice 1977-vintage pair - and more 'goodies'. I elected to buy the vintage Heresys - wow - then the new Emo amp - for it's headphone capability. So, I have a CDP driving an Emotiva amp - which feeds a pair of Heresys - sounds fantastic - without a sub-woofer. I wasted a lot of time and money getting 'here' - but I love my simple stereo. If The Sixes does what you want, you'll come out a lot better than you likely would otherwise by mixing & matching. The best of luck to you - and let us know how you like 'The Sixes'!

Edited(added): As much as I like my RB-81ii's, I've often wished I had bought the next size LF driver smaller (6.5" vs 8") RB-61ii's as they are a bit smaller and lighter, with only 1 Hz lower bottom end and 2 dB higher SPL @ 1W. Both are front-ported, unlike the RP-160M, which makes placement on a bookshelf possible. The RB-61ii has the same drivers as the RP-160M, the same crossover frequency, the same bi-wire capability, frequency response, power capability, etc - yet differ in SPL by 1 dB (The RP-160M is higher!). The RP-160M is slightly larger (The foot!) and heavier (Again, the foot!). I have no 'need' for a pair of RB-61ii's... but, while they are still available from Amazon and Klipsch for $330/pair shipped - i 'want' a pair! It's an illness...

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't mind any generation Heresy, Forte etc... some day! I'm hoping The Sixes have the added punch over the 160's because lets face it, my decision is more based on the looks and reduced clutter.

My basement is littered with old equipment, some old quad Marantz gear I want to re-use, so in my need to de-clutter I'm adding to the fray, call it insanity. :)

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I found my '77-vintage Heresys on Craig's List, ~45 mi from here. I asked him to save them - he did - and I found his $375 price quite a deal - and, unusual for me, I didn't quibble and couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I nearly missed the elephants in the room, actually, his garage... a pair of Klipschorns! They were nice - and $2k/pair - fair price as they are $12k/pair now. But, as Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations...". Besides, my wife's Jeep Wrangler Unlimited was near it's limit with two quilt covered Heresys. Getting them home wasn't the only problem... there is the $2k... that would have been my grand kids (... and wife's!) Christmas moola. Keep your eyes open for Forte - or Heresys - on C.L.!

John

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
John,

I cancelled my order on The Sixes, going to do more research and check Craigslist. I never seem to get lucky in the stereo department but there is always a first!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Well son of a B, I found a pair, not going to say from where but here is the ad.

A fine pair of Klipsch speakers. . .. . ...I rocked these things for over twenty five years and they are fully inspected, repaired, and present to kick your ass.

Klipsch KLiP circuitry installed to cut/roll off higher frequency output (-10 dB @ full power) to more closely match the original Pre-1985 Heresy product and accommodate digitally produced sound in a more harnessed manner. Developed by the engineering department at Klipsch, this modification produced results that were noticeably improved, and these speakers sound excellent.

Fresh set of high frequency horn diaphragm drivers
12" woofer drivers re-coned
Consecutive Serial Numbers
Manufacturer Sales Literature and Owners Manual
Original cartons and packaging

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
John,

How bright are the Heresy's, this guy had this pair modified to be more like pre-1985 as described in the ad I quoted. Also, they only dig down to 63hz?? Am I being a bass snob by wishing they went lower? I will have them using a subwoofer but had hoped they might dig a bit deeper.

He wants $525.00 for the pair.

Last edited:
J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like a deal! Remember, the Heresys are very position sensitive, behaving best tilted up slightly and in a corner. Don't be afraid to move them in/out, too. They have a great bottom end - it just doesn't go deep - my RB-81ii's, with their 8" LF driver, goes deeper. The Heresy's 12" LF driver is in a smallish sealed enclosure ('acoustic suspension'), and it's SPL is set by the LF driver, the midrange and tweeter horns being tapped down on an autotransformer on the crossover to match the LF driver's SPL. The bass doesn't 'boommmm...' like a typical bass reflex system - it 'thuds'! You can always restore them - check out the Klipsch forums - friendly folks.

Take some kind of test CD with you and listen to them first. Also - look at them, with and without the grilles. They should look like they've been cared for - which they probably have, since he has the literature and boxes. Congratulations!

John

PS I still have my JBL acoustic suspension subwoofer in my office... and I still don't think my Heresys need it.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like a deal! Remember, the Heresys are very position sensitive, behaving best tilted up slightly and in a corner. Don't be afraid to move them in/out, too. They have a great bottom end - it just doesn't go deep - my RB-81ii's, with their 8" LF driver, goes deeper. The Heresy's 12" LF driver is in a smallish sealed enclosure ('acoustic suspension'), and it's SPL is set by the LF driver, the midrange and tweeter horns being tapped down on an autotransformer on the crossover to match the LF driver's SPL. The bass doesn't 'boommmm...' like a typical bass reflex system - it 'thuds'! You can always restore them - check out the Klipsch forums - friendly folks.

Take some kind of test CD with you and listen to them first. Also - look at them, with and without the grilles. They should look like they've been cared for - which they probably have, since he has the literature and boxes. Congratulations!

John

PS I still have my JBL acoustic suspension subwoofer in my office... and I still don't think my Heresys need it.
Here he states "Klipsch KLiP circuitry installed to cut/roll off higher frequency output (-10 dB @ full power) to more closely match the original Pre-1985 Heresy product and accommodate digitally produced sound in a more harnessed manner. Developed by the engineering department at Klipsch, this modification produced results that were noticeably improved, and these speakers sound excellent."

The Heresy I's were noted for being brighter than the II's, he had his modified to be more like the I's using the Klipsch KLiP circuitry but doesn't state which one.

I left him a voicemail so we'll see if he responds.

I'll test them sans sub to see how they do, I have plenty of test discs to bring with me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis