Klipsch Surround Speaker Dilemma

S

Shmister

Audiophyte
I have had my Klipsch RB 61 Bookshelf speaker along with my RC 52 Center speaker for a while now and i love them. I'm finally looking at upgrading to 5.1 surround and maybe 7.1 in the near future. I am having issues on which surround speakers to buy for my setup. I was looking at either the RS 52 or RS 42. Is it worth the extra cash to go for the RS 52 even though the RS 42 is recomended for my system? The room in which the system is setup in is not the biggest so im afraid the RS 52 might be to over powering. Any opinions on which would be a better choice is appreciated. Thanks in advance. !

System Specs:
RB 61 Bookshelf
RC 52 Center
RW-12D Subwoofer
Pioneer VSX 60 Elite

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I would go with the 52's. They are a slightly more capable speaker. That being said I don't think I would pay much more for them then the 42's. A lot of newer movies are putting more and more into the rear channels so having speakers that can output could never hurt.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Have you gone and listened to them both or do you have the opportunity to listen and see if you can hear a difference? If you can go listen, I would recommend that. I've done that before with some audio equipment where the specs didn't show a large difference. Then I listened...and bought the one that sounded better to my ear based on music or sound I would listen to. It won't be easy to gauge how it sounds in your specific room, but it is a starting point.

I would tend to agree with Ares and go with the 52's. They have the larger drivers for the lower frequencies. While not always the best answer, it lends me towards the 52's.

S

Shmister

Audiophyte
Thanks Both of you. Ive also heard you can use bookshelf as a surround speaker. Would you recommend that or stick with one of the actual surrounds?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't believe in pouring money into the surrounds.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Thanks Both of you. Ive also heard you can use bookshelf as a surround speaker. Would you recommend that or stick with one of the actual surrounds?
In my previous room, I used bookshelf units as the surrounds. I didn't get ones dedicated to the job. I was quite happy with the result. The primary speakers are the front 3 - center, left & right. The surrounds are there to give you some additional sound for the full effect, but are not pushing the main effects. So it probably doesn't make sense to pour gobs of money into them like Isberian said.

S

Shmister

Audiophyte
Thanks Midwesthonky. I think i might buy some floorstanding speakers then and move my bookshelfs to surround duty. Thanks for the help

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis