klipsch rs-42 vs. rs-52 and the rb-51

S

scottyg

Junior Audioholic
I am struggling making a decision on which surrounds to buy for my system rs-42 or the rs-52. I have a yamaha rx-v2600 which has the yapo. I will eventually be moving into 7.1 channels but have to settle for 5.1 right now. Here are the specs of my reciever and the surrounds I am thinking of using. I have the rb-61 as fronts and the rc-52 as the center. Should I use the bookshelf rb-51 for a more directional rear ???? and if I go with the rs-52 will they be overpowering ?? if that is even possible, the only reason I ask is because the 52's are in the next class speaker package as rears....please help!!

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200003&CTID=5000300

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rs-42.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rs-52.aspx

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If your room size/configuration can accommodate the RS-52s, then by all means use them. When you're ready to add/upgrade the last 2 speakers, put floorstanders up front and move the RB-61s to rear duty.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
scottyg said:
I am struggling making a decision on which surrounds to buy for my system rs-42 or the rs-52. I have a yamaha rx-v2600 which has the yapo. I will eventually be moving into 7.1 channels but have to settle for 5.1 right now. Here are the specs of my reciever and the surrounds I am thinking of using. I have the rb-61 as fronts and the rc-52 as the center. Should I use the bookshelf rb-51 for a more directional rear ???? and if I go with the rs-52 will they be overpowering ?? if that is even possible, the only reason I ask is because the 52's are in the next class speaker package as rears....please help!!
Given a big enough budget & a big enough room, it's hard to argue with AVRat. However...... I don't think I'll ever put floorstanding speakers up on the wall mounts that currently hold my RB-61's. Unless your room is pretty large, I'd go with the RS-42's, and put the difference in price towards a second sub (or towards food & shelter, etc.)

S

scottyg

Junior Audioholic
thanks for your responses.......my room is 18x16, my setup is like a widescreen tv due to light and other factors.....do you think my room is large enough to use the rs-52's where the sound would not overlap ?? or better off with the rs-42's ?? This is the first mid level system I have put together and was wondering if you think the rb-61's would make good rears and why ? Would there be any advantage to using floorstanding speakers instead of just investing in a second sub ?
greatly appreciated !!

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Looking over the RS-42s specs again, they should work just fine for you. I just prefer not to mix so many different size drivers. If you prefer a bookshelf/stereo-sub setup instead of floorstanders, that is great. I prefer that configuration BTW! You could start with one then add the second sub later.

Again I don’t know what your room layout is like, specifically listening position in relation to speaker locations. You could use either the RB-51/61s for the rears or even the RS-42/52s if you have space behind the listening position. One issue with the 51s is that they are rear-ported so they need a little space behind them.

W

WarrenWolff

Audiophyte
Front Speakers

Greetings,

I am NOT good at navigating this site.

I have a room 16 x 21. I must wall-mount the new 46 TV on one of the 16 foot walls. I probably cannot include rear speakers at the present time.
I know Klipsch is a good move.

Not fond of the small speakers marketed by some. Thinking of RS-42's or RB-51/61. Wife wants it to sound "good".

Advice please.

W.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Greetings,

I am NOT good at navigating this site.

I have a room 16 x 21. I must wall-mount the new 46 TV on one of the 16 foot walls. I probably cannot include rear speakers at the present time.
I know Klipsch is a good move.

Not fond of the small speakers marketed by some. Thinking of RS-42's or RB-51/61. Wife wants it to sound "good".

Advice please.

W.
I would go demo some Klipsch speakers if you get a chance. They are horn-loaded speakers. Some people either love horns or hate them. I personally would recommend listening to Klipsch vs Polks vs Deftechs, etc. All of these speakers come in similar sizes as well. And you may also want to consider internet direct speakers from companies like SVS, Axiom, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis