Klipsch RF 35 demo tonight

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I finally have a set of RF 35 over night to demo. First off, I've had some trouble deciding what to set the speaker size too. I really think it sounds good at large with double bass on (bass to sub below 80hz). I have an Onkyo tx-sr602 with 85 watts/ch, is it going to struggle with midrange and bass because I have the speakers set to large. (Note: I don't listen to music beyond 75-80db)

First impressions, guitar strings vibrate creating music instead of a a speaker produccing sounds. I can close my eyes and really feel the instrument and the musicians intentions in comparision to the RF 15.

Piano is much more vibrant and real, again it's like sitting 15 feet from a piano in comparision to the RF 15.

Bass, obviously has a massive difference (extension to 37hz in comparision to 46hz from the 15).

I really enjoy stereo from digital source, but I think that 2.0 instead of 2.1 might become a preference if I end up with a these speakers.

Any comments are welcome. What should I do about the speaker size and crossover settings.

And finally, the million dollar question. The digital EQ in the onkyo is currently set to OFF, I think that means flat. The auto setting, adjusted by the microphone automatic option, is terriblely high and missing bass too. I can adjust the EQ manually, but I am having trouble getting it right. I'd like to hear about some specific options for tuning that EQ.

Right now I feel the bass is a little strong and the midrange could use a little tighter sound.

Thanks in advance

Dan

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
I don't know exactly how to answer your other questions but If I were you try setting the crossover setting to 60Hz rather than 80 that way you will not be able to "locate" the bass.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
droeses58 said:
I don't know exactly how to answer your other questions but If I were you try setting the crossover setting to 60Hz rather than 80 that way you will not be able to "locate" the bass.
.....or, leave it at 80, and have two like-subs up front, and who cares if there's a little localization to the front when it's balanced all the way across?....is this mic on?....huh?.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
droeses58 said:
Two subs? are you nuts?:D
.....ooooooh, if you only knew, Droeses....them voices get rougher every day.....

.....you bet, Droeses, two up front, let your ears guide you how far to have them split....I prefer front-firing for the cleanest oscillations possible....two subs are too loud?....know weigh....the gains knobs on the amps pushing my subs range from say 7:30 to about 5:00....I currently have them up to 9:00....I go to 9:30 sometimes for thunder-down-under, haha....then again, the gain on the active EQ, is all the way up considering the signal/noise of the unit being over 100 db, and that adds some gain to the amp....not a lot, though....two cover your situation like three, compared to one, and your current sub will last a lot longer less volumed....

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
i don't feel that the bass is more localized and I didn't mean to give that impression. The whole sound, including the bass, seems to have more range and the soundstage is much larger and encompassing.

Right now the suub is in the corner and it's hard to localize. I'm sure two subs would rock all the more...on that topic, my amp only has one sub preout, can I split that to two subs or hook the two subs together in series?

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Right now the suub is in the corner and it's hard to localize. I'm sure two subs would rock all the more...on that topic, my amp only has one sub preout, can I split that to two subs or hook the two subs together in series?[/QUOTE]

Yes. split to the two subs "Y" splitter

Spider, you may also condider buying a Radio Shack spl meter and a test disk this way you could measure all frequencies to try and get as "flat" as possible.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis