Klipsch R-115SW Subwoofer Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
I love it when bass hits my chest in a music concert or in an action movie. Its tactile power just invites for more and you just can't get enough of it. Don't you agree?

A while ago, I was looking for a new subwoofer. I made a list of finalists and I'm going doing this overview on one of those subs: the Klipsch R-115SW Subwoofer.
R-115SW_-_Angle_635467164643196000_medium.jpg

Why this sub?, you may ask. Simply put, I've always been a Klipsch fan. This company has been around for almost 70 years and I have a great deal of respect for a company with such an admirable history. With so many years you can expect them to know a thing or two about sound quality and how to achieve it. They carry a wide variety of subs, but it was their R-115SW that got my attention. I was looking for a sub with a 12"-15" driver, a good amplifier section and wireless capability and the R-115SW was perfect for all my specific needs. Why? Read on!

This sub features a 15" spun-copper Cerametallic driver that is light and rigid at the same time - both good things to find in a subwoofer. Its has a front-firing slot port with proprietary internal geometry that, according to the company, minimizes port noise and provides cleaner sound. All this controlled by an all-digital amplifier pumping 400-watt of continuous power (800w Peak). For the greatest placement flexibility, add an optional Klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit for a simple wireless connection. And on top of that, it also has a power status indicator which means no more getting up from your seat to find out if it's on or off. To me, this is a another winner from Klipsch.

Check out the following features and specifications and let us know your impressions!

SOME FEATURES:
  • 15" spun-copper Cerametallic woofer.
  • All-digital amplifier delivers 800 watts of dynamic power.
  • Front-firing slot port with exclusive internal flare technology.
  • For a simple wireless connection, add an optional Klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit.
  • Gain, Lowpass, Phase, Auto Power
  • Made from durable MDF cabinet, the R-115SW is finished with a brushed black polymer veneer and satin painted MDF plinth.
  • Front-mounted LED power indicator that lets you know the power status of the system.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Frequency response: 18Hz-125Hz +/-3dB.
  • Maximum output: 122dB
  • Amplifier: All digital
  • Amplifier power (Constant/Peak: 400W / 800W
  • Drive components: 15" long-throw copper spun cerametallic, front-firing woofer.
  • Phase: Switchable 0-180 degrees.
  • Enclosure material: MDF
  • Enclosure type: Bass Reflex.
  • Inputs: L/R line-level/LFE RCA jacks, Wireless WA-2 Port.
  • Height: 21.5"
  • Width: 19.5"
  • Depth: 22.3"
  • Weight: 75.4 lbs.
  • Finish: Brushed Black Polymer Veneer.
Price: $899.00/each.

You can click on the thumbnail below to zoom in.
R-115SW_-_Angle_Grille_635467165331468000_medium.jpg R-115SW_-_Back_635467167553688000_medium.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I want this to be a good sub, I really do. A sub from a major speaker manufacturer that uses a 15"? OK, maybe there is some hope. Problem is the cabinet looks to be a bit small for a deep tuning point, but if it has good performance even from the mid 20 Hz range, that might still make this one a winner with a healthy street price discount. Klipsch has a mixed to meh record with respect to subs. Their RW12d was definitely a low budget win for them, and the Ultra THX subs do not look bad if quite a bit over-priced at MSRP (street prices are another matter). The Palladium sub looks like it could be decent if deleriously over-priced. And of course the pro stuff looks reasonably good for their application. However, many of their other home audio subs are pretty much non-starters for anyone who cares about performance. It would be nice to see Josh Ricci get some measurements on this one, but I know that is a longshot. If Klipsch has an actual performer on their hand, than a review by Ricci would boost sales. If it is all show but not a real performer, than of course a measurement heavy review would do nothing to help sales. I wouldn't recommend this or any other sub from a major speaker manufacturer without some measurements to give an idea of performance.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Klipsch probably makes the best department store retail subs. So if the advantages of buying from that avenue are appealing to you (buy it the same day, credit terms, easier return etc), it's a good choice.

However, 900 dollars can buy you an amazing ID sub that WILL out perform this sub in all respects. One caveat with the Klipsch measurements is that they are done corner loaded. With that in mind, and seeing how that port/box relation likely isn't large enough, it's a safe bet that this sub would not reach 20hz if properly CEA 2010 tested. For me at $900 that's a deal breaker- especially for a vented design.

The only drawback to the ID sub of the same price is that it will be a little bigger and a lot heavier. This is due to proper internal bracing found in ID subs. Department store subs have to balance a careful calculus in relation to size and weight so that stores will chose to carry them. They have to be as small and light as possible to be handled by in store warehousing, not take up too much shelf space, and an appealing size to enough customers to warrant carrying them.

Since most ID subs will offer free return policies, the only real disadvantage is waiting for delivery.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15se
There's no real reason I'd chose this Klipsch Sub over this PSA of the same price.

Last edited:
T

tedibear

Audiophyte
digital amplifier pumping 400-watt of continuous power (800w Peak). For the greatest placement flexibility, add an optional Klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit for a simple wireless connection. And on top of that, it also has a power status indicator which means no more getting up from your seat to find out if it's on or off. To me, this is a another winner from Klipsch.

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
However, 900 dollars can buy you...
This Klipsch sub is now $719, including shipping, on Amazon Prime. The pricing would seem to make this a solid competitor for subs in the $600 to $800 price range.

And this: The XV15SE is both sold out and discontinued and the V15, the lowest priced current PS Audio version, is $225 more than the Klipsch, plus shipping

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This Klipsch sub is now $719, including shipping, on Amazon Prime. The pricing would seem to make this a solid competitor for subs in the $600 to $800 price range.

And this: The XV15SE is both sold out and discontinued and the V15, the lowest priced current PS Audio version, is $225 more than the Klipsch, plus shipping
The Klipsch certainly is a good looking design. However, Emotiva has some new subs out that look to me to be a better buy. Soon, the Airmotiv S15 will be shipping and should be around the same price as the Klipsch. Even at the $719 price range, there are other offerings from the ID vendors that offer more for less. But, it does look like Klipsch is headed in the right direction. There certainly is no doubt about that.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Measurements for the R-115sw are here. This isn't at all bad for the current price. It performs nearly on the same level as the Hsu VTF2 mk5 set to 2 ports open.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Klipsch can be surprising. I'm still amazed at how good the RF-62II towers are, that I have in our HT system, especially at $600/pair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis