Klipsch Quintet $250

Y

yaziron

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I was just at Best Buy browsing and right now Klipsch has the Quintet series at 50% off or $250 - brand new. Apparently they do that from time to time, but not that often. I have always loved Klipsch, but I am worried they may be too small for my room. My room is about 16' from wall to back of couch and about 12' in the other direction.. I don't know what constitues a "big" space "requiring" towers. Do you think these Klipschs would work in my room, mostly movie watching, but would like to enjoy some good music too? I could mount them up higher on the wall if the wife would let me or maybe use stands all the way around. I do have in ceiling speakers in the rear from when the person built the house. I have a Pioneer VSX-523 AVR to power them with.

One problem, no sub with the Quintets and so I want to pair them with a cheaper sub due to my small budget.

Thanks all.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would skip those quintets. Not a great value at even half the price. They might be ok for computer speakers if your desktop is short on space. In your budget I would just get a couple of bookshelf speakers or tower speakers. If you have a Fry's near you, the Infinity Primus p363 goes on sale sometimes for as little as $100 each, that will blow away those Quintet speakers. The Pioneer SP tower speaker can also go on sale for $77 each, it will kill those Klipsch satellites as well.

If you don't have a Fry's near you, one speaker which looks like a terrific value would be this kit from Madisound. It is using high quality drivers and would be very easy to assemble, all you need is some glue and a screwdriver. It would probably take less than an hour to put together, since the cabinet is already assembled for you. It would knock out any little satellite speaker. Next to that, I would go with either some Cambridge S30s or some of these new HVL-1 speakers which look pretty good.

Y

yaziron

Enthusiast
Thanks shady, that's why I thought I would ask since I am never too sure on the bookshelfs. Plus, buying just a pair of towers saves me some money to put towards a sub. I am kind of a do-it-yourselfer anyway, so I will definitely have to check out the kit from Madisound.

I don't have a Fry's but Best Buy has the Pioneer SP-FS52 for $125 each, which I could get both of those for the price of one of the kits. Are they worth that? I don't know much about Pioneer speakers.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
You can get Best Buy to price match so make sure before purchasing you look around online for a sale. Tiger Direct often has them on sale. They are definitely solid speakers and perform well above their price point.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Remember that the Madisound kit price is per pair of speakers. As for towers vs bookshelf speakers, once you have a subwoofer, tower speakers don't have much of an advantage over bookshelf speakers as long as the bookshelf speakers extend to 80 Hz in bass. The main advantage of tower speakers over bookshelf speakers is deeper bass, but since the subwoofer is going to be covering that range off bass anyway, that advantage is negated.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
You can always try, I got them to price match, but for me it was an authorized Pioneer dealer Tiger Direct.

No problem on the 6 ohm front, your receiver will work fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis