Klipsch KL-650 Vs Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to build a 7.1 theater in a large living room (25x20x12) and I'm looking for large bookshelf sized speakers I can suspend from the ceiling. I can't use floor standers due to space limitations but I can mount anything bookshelf sized from the ceiling.

For the bass I will use eight 18" I.B. subwoofers mounted in a manifold that goes to the attic. So there will be no lack of bass.

So far I've found good reviews on the Klipsch KL-650 and the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65. I just want something that will sound good but I get the feeling these speakers will sound quite different from eachother.

I've never heard either one of them so which would you recommend? Or would you recommend something else?

I will use a Denon 4311CI for the receiver. 140 WPC

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go for the Klipsch between those two, especially since your room is large. The Klipsch measures extremely well. Then again, it is a lot more expensive, at least at MSRP. It is quite a bit more sensitive as well, measured at 92 dB by S&V. S&V also measured the Studio 65s, which were shown to have an 85 dB sensitivity. For the same juice, the Klipschs will get more than twice as loud as the Deftechs.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Out of the two choices, the Klipsch' are better suited to your application for the reason Shady outlined. They are the more sensitive speaker, but not within a bull's roar of what Klipsch claim (97dB/2.83V/1m). A 5dB delta is significant and equates to almost triple the power... I can't stomach that. For the price you'll be paying for the Klipsch KL-650's, I'd look seriously at something else.

My recommendation is the JTR Noesis 228HT's ($1300 each). More details and pics here: Noesis 228HT (Update 3-5-2013) - JTR Speakers Inc. This post shows the JTR's in a HT setting: HT of the Month: Rawlinsway Theater - AVS Forum.

These are genuine high performance speakers built around pro-derived components including a high quality BMS compression driver and custom 8" Eminence woofers. There are no professional reviews (that I'm aware of), but plenty of very positive impressions from experienced listeners on various audio forums. Like any speaker, they may not be for everyone, so I'd encourage you to listen to them. If you jump on the official JTR speaker thread on AVS and give your location, many JTR owners will be only to glad to welcome you over for a demo.

JTR build to order and also manufacture professional speakers, so at your request Jeff (owner/designer/builder) could instal fly points on the 228HT's for ease of suspending them from the ceiling.

Gotta run... good luck! :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would also get the Klipsch KL-650 THX Ultra2 speakers. FR is +/-1dB on Audioholics & Home Theater Magazine.

There are some great deals/pricing on these speakers too. Send me a PM if you want to know more.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis