Klipsch Heresy III or HII

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I have read the new HIII are better sounding then the HII and they need several days of playing for break in. Any HIII owners that have HII? Is there a big difference in bass etc???

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Caveat: I've heard a lot of heritage, but never HII & HIII side by side.

Per fellow Klipschies who share the disease, the HIII are the best of the Heresy line. Higher sensitivity (+3db over previous versions), better drivers all around, and better crossover networks. Since you're not a heritage virgin (you have Cornwalls w/ Crites mods, correct?), I think you would appreciate the improvements made with the HIII. Those same Klipschies typically rate the HII as the worst iteration. All of them will be limited with extension, there's only so much you can do with that sensitivity in that small-ish box.

Klipsch offers a HII to HIII conversion kit, so if you already have HII's (edit: I see you do), you can make them into HIII's relatively inexpensively. Bob Crites may have some tricks up his sleeve for your HII as well. He's got tons of experience with the old Heritage models, and happens to be a pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:
LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Caveat: I've heard a lot of heritage, but never HII & HIII side by side.

Per fellow Klipschies who share the disease, the HIII are the best of the Heresy line. Higher sensitivity (+3db over previous versions), better drivers all around, and better crossover networks. Since you're not a heritage virgin (you have Cornwalls w/ Crites mods, correct?), I think you would appreciate the improvements made with the HIII. Those same Klipschies typically rate the HII as the worst iteration.

Klipsch offers a HII to HIII conversion kit, so if you already have HII's, you can make them into HIII's relatively inexpensively. But if you're considering a purchase of either, I'd recommend just going straight to the HIII.
Yes I have Crites C/O in the Cornwalls. I was going to do some mods(recap etc) on the HII 1989 as they have never been opened up. Thanks I will look into the HII to HIII converison kit.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
FWIW- I'm a big fan of the more modern Klipsch stuff but have owned/heard a good bit of the vintage gear. I PERSONALLY found the HII to be a bit lacking and from what I've read the HIII seems to be a significant upgrade. I have not actually auditioned the HIII but sometimes consistent reviews speak for themselves. I'm not sure that extension specifically will be significant. As you know, placement and room play a decent role in the overall response of those speakers.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
FWIW- I'm a big fan of the more modern Klipsch stuff but have owned/heard a good bit of the vintage gear. I PERSONALLY found the HII to be a bit lacking and from what I've read the HIII seems to be a significant upgrade. I have not actually auditioned the HIII but sometimes consistent reviews speak for themselves. I'm not sure that extension specifically will be significant. As you know, placement and room play a decent role in the overall response of those speakers.
Yes I have them in the corners of the room towed in aiming them at the center of the bed about 10 feet apart and the sub is next to the right HII. I have them on stands lifting them up 24 inches so the mids are off the floor because of the bed height. It hurt the bass some so I added the sub.:) much better. 20 plus years old now and figured it was time to recap C/O ot look at Crites woofers and tweeters or the HII to HIII kit. They don't sound bad to me, it's my Cornwalls for 30 plus years have spoiled me. maybe someone with both will post up before I spend my money.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis