Klipsch, Energy, or Polk. HELP!

M

malibumike

Audioholic Intern
I'm hoping anyone can help me decide between these speaker packages. My main question is what will give me the best quality sound at low-medium volumes, for both Music & Movies? Can anyone provide their opinion on any of the choices below:

Klipsch Quintet w/sub.

Klipsch Quintet SL w/sub.

Energy Take 5 Classic.

Polk Monitor series speakers, 2 floor standing, 2 bookshelf, CS2 Center, w/sub.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I'm hoping anyone can help me decide between these speaker packages. My main question is what will give me the best quality sound at low-medium volumes, for both Music & Movies? Can anyone provide their opinion on any of the choices below:

Klipsch Quintet w/sub.

Energy Take 5 Classic.

You can start with all the specs/plots, etc. but honestly in the end run you will have to go listen to them and see what ones you want to own.
I have Klipsch Ref. Series all around, like them a lot, but now want to upgrade to a more expensive speaker, and that entails listening in the end run that is the only way you will know.

Set your budget in sight, like say $3K max. then go and listen to some of them, because in the end it is all in how you like the Sound Quality SQ of them. The rubber will meet the road per say when you listen to them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

Klipsch Quintet w/sub.

Energy Take 5 Classic.

None from your list - however, I would take the Polk over those other
speakers, that would sound better in a big walk in closet. You need
to audition.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'd definitely go with the polk from the ones on your list. The CS2 is a very nice center for the money, I used to own it and the CS1, to me the CS2 was a big improvement. The monitor series is a great entry level speaker.

M

malibumike

Audioholic Intern
wow, i have never seen the Infinity TSS-800 CHR 5.1. I will have to research them. Thanks!

M

malibumike

Audioholic Intern
Can anyone comment on the Nanostat Prestige 5.0 that's on sale at newegg for 299! I really like these, and have heard they have a similar sound to bose, but they are actually quality built. I'm definitely going to a store to listen to these tomorrow. I realize I will probably need to buy a 400+ dollar sub, but i think it's a steal of a deal? I appreciate all the replies, and after some thought i'm leaning more towards a compact system.

H

herragge

Audiophyte
:D
That deal with newegg.com Infinity P153BK @ $50 with promo code would be great deal too. Buy 5 of them and a woofer and you're set. Hurry these will go quick.
Thanks for the headsup, pretty good deal!

M

malibumike

Audioholic Intern
Listened to the mirage prestige yesterday, was not that impressed..So, while I still decide on speakers, I went ahead and purchased a new receiver. Pioneer vsx 1021-k for 299 off newegg (sale ends tonight). Hopefully it's a nice bump up from my RCA STAV-4090.

I've pretty much decided on the Energy RC-Micro or Take 5 Classic. Which would you choose between the two? Which is better? It Makes me nervous not hearing them first, and there's no place I can test them. I really want to buy nice metal stands for F/L, and Surrounds as well. Then buy a pair off of sats off ebay to complete the 7.1. What do you guys/gals think about that setup?

N

nioveratus

Audioholic Intern
I have not heard any of the energy systems but from the reviews of owners it seems that the classic has a fuller sound.......

M

malibumike

Audioholic Intern
Hey, I appreciate everyones response, and trying to help me out. thanks! Today I actually went to best buy, was just going to buy a set of speaker stands for my other system....well, I walked out with a set of klipsch quintets. they were an open box, and I checked them out before buying...brand new (i think they opened the box, looked at them and returned it. Got them for 60% off the best buy price! I have heard them before, and loved them, but thought the price was a little much. Especially considering I would have to spend another 200 to buy two more satellites to complete the 7.1.

Have been playin around with them for awhile now, I'm stunned by the clarity of these over my previous cheap bookshelves. I do have a couple questions though, and maybe you guys can help:

1) Having the pioneer vsx 1021 k, it looks like I can add four more speakers. Two front high, and to surround back. Now, when I play music, or movies will all speakers be used? Is there specific DSP modes I should select to use all speakers?

2) I set the crossover on my receiver to 150hz...the quintets i believe go down to 120, but i only have the options for 50,80,100,150,200. Is that an ok setting? Also, Do I need to set the sub to the same Frequency as the receiver?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Instead of looking at adding more speakers at this point- I would focus your budget on a quality sub. I don't LOVE the quintet stuff, but I am a bit of a Klipsch 'fanboy' and I think they're a decent value and they certainly get the job done. Except the sub. Its truly awful. Its loud and boomy and while you might like it, you're really missing out. I would definitely be spending money there before more effect speakers.

M

malibumike

Audioholic Intern
Instead of looking at adding more speakers at this point- I would focus your budget on a quality sub. I don't LOVE the quintet stuff, but I am a bit of a Klipsch 'fanboy' and I think they're a decent value and they certainly get the job done. Except the sub. Its truly awful. Its loud and boomy and while you might like it, you're really missing out. I would definitely be spending money there before more effect speakers.

I agree, good point, and because I got such a great deal on the speaker set, i'm planning on buying a sub and the 4 satellites soon. What sub do you recommend that will work well with the quintets?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis