Klipsch center channel speaker selection

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I'm slowly building my HT experience pay check by pay check. I have a pair of Klipsch RF-7's for the fronts and a Denon AVR-3311 and so far I'm running in 2.0 mode. I just ordered a BIC PL-200 sub which is on the way. My mix is probably a 70/30 ratio between movies/music. The room is 25x35 and Audyssey says viewing/listening position is 17' away.

I have been looking for a center channel to match and the recommeded Klipsch RC-7 is discontinued and proving hard to find even used from people who are either tired of them or upgrading. My research on here has shown that the center channel needs to be matched to the fronts and there is talk of timbre matching which I know nothing about.

Any suggestions on a current center channel speaker that is still carried in stores or online? Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered a BIC PL-200 sub which is on the way.
I still cannot believe that PL200 is only $279.:D

It has been such a pleasant surprise for me in my family room!

When I first saw the PL200 box, one of the corners looked banged up (handle hole on side box). I was a little nervous opening up the PL200. But it was in perfect condition.

One thing about the PL200 is that the owner's manual is 100% garbage.

The crossover that says "OUT" actually means the PL200's internal sub crossover is BYPASSED.

"IN" means the internal crossover is active.

So I would turn the crossover to the "OUT" and let the 3311 do all the crossover, which I set to 80Hz, Small speakers.

Be sure to level match that subwoofer. Recommended is the usual 75dBC for all channel levels. If you like it a little hot, set it to 78dBC or 79dBC or 80dBC like I do.:D

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
this is just my opinion: others here will disagree (but some here feel the same). i have never had matching center and main speakers and i have never felt it detracted from the sound of my system. the point is, don't feel locked in to any specific center - if it sounds good to you, it's good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a size limit (H/W/D) on the center speaker?

Vertical or horizontal placement?

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Is there a size limit (H/W/D) on the center speaker?

Vertical or horizontal placement?
Sorry, yes. It would have to be horizontal placement. My shelves are adjustable as i just had to adjust them in order to fit my Denon AVR-3311 on the bottom shelf. (dang thing was so heavy it was bending the other one!)

I think that big a$$ Klipsch RC-64II (36"Wx8"Hx13"D) would fit but from what I've read that is really a match for the RF-7 II's and I'm not familiar with all of the crossover spec's and details of those vs. my older stock RF-7's with no Dean G crossover mods and if it would match well or not.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think any of those RC42, RC52, or RC62 centers will do just fine.

I think it all comes down to logistics (size, placement).

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
SOme of the comments I've read say that the RF-7's as fronts will drown out those other RC42,52,62 series as they are not big enough to keep up in the mix of things. I don't have any dealers down here where I can go and listen to them or try them out at home first. I guess I'd have to learn the more in-depth settings availabale on the AVR in order to get them balanced.

The decent dealers here have Kef, Paradigm and Infinity but are way over priced compared to what I can find and ship here myself. For instance: their Denon AVR-3311 was $2000 compared to the total of about $800 I paid to buy it from Amazon and pay shipping and import duties on it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
SOme of the comments I've read say that the RF-7's as fronts will drown out those other RC42,52,62 series as they are not big enough to keep up in the mix of things. I don't have any dealers down here where I can go and listen to them or try them out at home first. I guess I'd have to learn the more in-depth settings availabale on the AVR in order to get them balanced.

The decent dealers here have Kef, Paradigm and Infinity but are way over priced compared to what I can find and ship here myself. For instance: their Denon AVR-3311 was $2000 compared to the total of about $800 I paid to buy it from Amazon and pay shipping and import duties on it.
No, the RF7 will drown out the RC speakers if the RF7 channel level is higher than the RC.

The RC center speaker will drown out the RF7 speakers if the RC channel level is MUCH higer than the RF7.

I would set the front right and left (each RF7) level to 75dBC (on the SPL digital meter, slow response, C-weight) from listening distance.

I would then set the center channel level to 77dBC or 78dBC.

I would set the subwoofer level to 78dBC or 79dBC.

Then you are good to go.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I think any of those RC42, RC52, or RC62 centers will do just fine.

I think it all comes down to logistics (size, placement).
I have the first series RC-62 for center and Cornwalls on each side and a pair

of RS3-II on wall same distance behind the sofa with angled down and in line with fronts. Two Klipsch Synerge Sub 12" 300/650 Bash in small room with 55" LCD/LED inbetween the Corns about a 18" distance from each end of flatt screen to Corns in each corner towed in aiming at center of sofa. 5.2 does Ok
took some tweaking with SPL meters to balance the old with the new for HD Blurays TV is 7' front front of sofa 55" looks huge in room:D wall to wall Speakers and Flatt screen. Sub are in opposire ends in the corners f/R and Rear/L side.
shakes the dishes on wife kitchen walls :D

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
look on audiogon or klipsch's Garage Sale forum. You will find the matching center channel.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
look on audiogon or klipsch's Garage Sale forum. You will find the matching center channel.
Thanks. I've been looking on both of those sites for a couple of weeks now and can't find a black RC-7. Tried to pull the trigger on a cherry one but when I checked it was gone.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I've been looking on both of those sites for a couple of weeks now and can't find a black RC-7. Tried to pull the trigger on a cherry one but when I checked it was gone.
Welcome to the club. two years ago a B stock RC-62 ist design, was about $365.00 plus frieght, unopened box no warranty .( I have one) There were several C7 centers used for sale I would get up to the new RC62 price and get out bid. My friend has the C7 and 4 KLF-20 for his surrounds. I Really liked the bigger horn in the C7. I wanted a center for my Cornwalls so I purchased the RC-62. It was Not a bad pick. It took some tweaking with the SPL meter but I am Happy now. Small room let me get away with it and RS3-II rears.
Louis

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks! I found a black ash RC-64II to match my RF-7's in the Garage Sale section on the Klipsch forum. Sent payment and hopefully it should be here next week! If my BIC PL-200 sub arrives at the same time I'll be moving up to a 3.1 system. Woo Hoo!

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Thanks! I found a black ash RC-64II to match my RF-7's in the Garage Sale section on the Klipsch forum. Sent payment and hopefully it should be here next week! If my BIC PL-200 sub arrives at the same time I'll be moving up to a 3.1 system. Woo Hoo!
Great Buy...they ROCK... I have the RC-62 in small room so Happy.but ... I wanted the 64. Too expensive new and I am spending all my extra $$ on having my R2R restored or I would have purchased it a few days ago. Post up when you get it hooked up. Enjoy, as good used one's are hard to find.

Louis

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks. I figured I'd go with the 64 because my listening position is 17' away. I may need help in dialing it all in once I get it installed so I'll be back on bugging you guys for help again shortly!

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I figured I'd go with the 64 because my listening position is 17' away. I may need help in dialing it all in once I get it installed so I'll be back on bugging you guys for help again shortly!
After you run Audessey or what ever.I used a SPL meter and tweak on the HD AVR's Eq Adavnced Set Up untill I got it tunded for ME and My room. I read posts where members say those horns "Shrill" or TOO Bright" and LMAO....... tune the Eq.:)I have my smaller 62 inbetween (55" flat screen ) two Klipsch Cornwalls on a 12 foot wall, sofa back7 feet and rear RS3-II on the wall pointing down at the sofa 7 feet back of the sofa and In line with Corns. and two subs 5.2 in this small room ROCKS. Small room made my mix of old and new sound way better then what you see on paper.Enjoy the 64 wish I had one.
Louis

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
17 feet? Why so far away?
It's a large family room (25'x35') and the 73" DLP TV is at one end and my sofa/recliners are at the opposite end.

After running the Audyssey it said LF was 17' away and RF was 17.5' away. I could sit closer on the bean bags up front but that's where the kids love it and I don't like sitting too close to a screen that large for HT viewing.

For 2.0 music I'm either walking around or putzing about fixing something at the kitchen/bar counter about 12' away off to the side.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
After you run Audessey or what ever.I used a SPL meter and tweak on the HD AVR's Eq Adavnced Set Up untill I got it tunded for ME and My room. I read posts where members say those horns "Shrill" or TOO Bright" and LMAO....... tune the Eq.:)I have my smaller 62 inbetween (55" flat screen ) two Klipsch Cornwalls on a 12 foot wall, sofa back7 feet and rear RS3-II on the wall pointing down at the sofa 7 feet back of the sofa and In line with Corns. and two subs 5.2 in this small room ROCKS. Small room made my mix of old and new sound way better then what you see on paper.Enjoy the 64 wish I had one.
Louis
Yeah thanks, I can see I'm going to have to look at finding me an SPL meter to get everything dialled in properly. My ears are costing me a lot lately!

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Yeah thanks, I can see I'm going to have to look at finding me an SPL meter to get everything dialled in properly. My ears are costing me a lot lately!
Radio Shack has one with a dial,old school for less then 50 bucks. Works great, I was suprised at the levels I was use too. There is a hearing test on one the sites I go to and used it on my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers for my PC when the tones got about where my hearing stopped (18 mhz I think) the last few I did not hear...the meter moved....:( my speakers worked :) just not me.......at 88/105 peak DB special effects) I can hear what I see on Bluray now. :) 5.2 small room.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis