sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Hello Members, I know more than enough about this subject , however through the years I have noticed a gradual decline in quality with more than a few brands so I am looking to get any opinions and or experiences from those that may have recently worked with a particular cabinet company/brand.
I would like to know if any one has installed a new kitchen and/or had one installed? , what features in the cabinet did you address and basically seek out to include in your design? What was your brand and what did you like/dislike about it? This type of work has really left a lot to be desired and it has become harder to sell a specific brand to a customer when they continually listen to the sales people at the box stores. I have used American Woodmark on the lower to mid price point and Omega Dynasty on the Middle of the road to higher end. I know we are an audio first forum but I went Steam Route to see if I could generate any responses, Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and consideration, sawz.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't meet any of the requested criteria for posters but yet I have something to contribute on this as well as many other topics. I ordered a set of kitchen cabinets at HD with the intention of driving the price up. The higher I went in price the nicer the cabinets got. No surprise, right? Going to ply over particle board was step one and getting glass faces was step two. Then of course the counter had steps in price and of course the higher I went in price the better I liked the options. It's got to be tough when people want Cadillac cabinets at Yugo prices.

Budgets destroy quality. I think you're screwed.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I think you are right but at present time peeps are still looking to get the best bang for the buck so to speak and in the area of cabinetry that divide is probably too great. I will still go the route of best available at said price points depending on the customer but even then it will never mean that one will get the "quality" to equate to the price, hence the thread . I feel it is a just service to customers and myself to hear/read as much input on different brands as possible from consumers and installers. I have read many subjective reviews on line but I thought I would try a little closer to home.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hello Members, I know more than enough about this subject , however through the years I have noticed a gradual decline in quality with more than a few brands so I am looking to get any opinions and or experiences from those that may have recently worked with a particular cabinet company/brand.
I would like to know if any one has installed a new kitchen and/or had one installed? ,
Funny you should ask. My parents just renovated their kitchen and had all new cabinets put in.

what features in the cabinet did you address and basically seek out to include in your design?
I don't know all the specifics, but their friend who is a professional carpenter recommended the company based on his past dealings with them. They're based in NC IIRC so they were ordered from there after a custom design plan had been worked out to best make use of the limited space.

What was your brand and what did you like/dislike about it?
They got Ultracraft cabinets. The cabinets are nice and they have an "aged" look to them. I'm not crazy about the way they look, but build quality-wise they seem pretty good and solid.

This type of work has really left a lot to be desired and it has become harder to sell a specific brand to a customer when they continually listen to the sales people at the box stores.
I've had plenty of big box store cabinets, having lived in apartments and rentals for a few years now and I always wander around HD and Lowes when the opportunity presents itself and, to my untrained eyes, these things seem much much better.

I could probably provide more information for specific questions than I can relay to the rents.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Thank You Fuzz exactly the thoughts I like to hear, sawz.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think you are right but at present time peeps are still looking to get the best bang for the buck so to speak and in the area of cabinetry that divide is probably too great. I will still go the route of best available at said price points depending on the customer but even then it will never mean that one will get the "quality" to equate to the price, hence the thread . I feel it is a just service to customers and myself to hear/read as much input on different brands as possible from consumers and installers. I have read many subjective reviews on line but I thought I would try a little closer to home.
During a temporary layoff from AT&T I'd help a buddy of mine hang doors, lay trim and do the kitchen cabinets in small, new developments.
If you're doing the install yourself, it's nice to get the euro style with french clete and base cabs with adjustable legs.
I can't remember brands (it's been a few years), that, and I haven't spoken to him in a few years; or I'd ask him for some recommendations.
After typing this, I realize I didn't offer much help.:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
During a temporary layoff from AT&T I'd help a buddy of mine hang doors, lay trim and do the kitchen cabinets in small, new developments.
If you're doing the install yourself, it's nice to get the euro style with french clete and base cabs with adjustable legs.
I can't remember brands (it's been a few years), that, and I haven't spoken to him in a few years; or I'd ask him for some recommendations.
After typing this, I realize I didn't offer much help.:D
A rambling post that doesn't actually say anything? Alex how did you get Rick's password? :eek: :p

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I use a local cabinet guy..full custom cabinets for semi custom prices- buy local :)
Cheers, Mac

E

English210

Audioholic
Interesting thread, since a remodel is in our future.

The old ones, installed when the house was built in '91, are just 'builders grade' junk. For giggles, we got a quote from HD on Kitchen Maids(I think?), not loaded, maybe, but pretty much as we'd want, and they were north of $9K! Ridiculous, if you ask me. I would much rather buy cabinets than to trouble two of my friends who know this stuff (one owned a kitchen renovation company and built cabinets), plus sweat equity is important to me - I can do the labor, so why not? - but for that kind of money? 11 cabinets total, 6 base, 4 wall, and a double-oven.

To be slightly more on topic, features that are important to us are the fit/finish/integration into the room, and the best use of limited wall space, followed by the soft-close features. Configuration is something we'll figure out as we go along, so easily add-able, and not over-priced accessories is a plus.

Any help?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Cabinets are not overly complicated to build. Given the retail cost (and $9k is insane) you could build a full wood working shop! I am in the process of building all new cabinets for my house. I just finished the guest bath, and will return to cabinetry in a few months once other house projects are completed. Plywood can be found in just about any species, so pick your favorite grain and go! A 4x8 sheet of oak is $50, plus the real wood planks needed for the doors, stain and finish, and you've got a top of the line cabinet for $100. Soft close hinges can run you about $30-$50 per door, but I agree, are totally worth it.

All you really need to do this is access to a table saw, a hammer, finish nails and a tap to push the nail head about 1/8" below the surface to fill with putty. And putty can now be found in a variety of colors so that once stained, is barely noticeable. The kick plate at the bottom can be made out of plywood (if you can hide the seam) or by biscuit jointing real wood planks together (if you can't get properly sized planks). I chose the latter as I had never used a biscuit jointer before, and found it very effective and easy to do.

The counter top can be anything you want. I am choosing to go the tile route, so I'll be mounting a 3/4" piece of mdf, laying mortar, and then cement fiber board, more mortar, and then the tile on top. The dual layers of mortar is standard tile practice, as it thermally decouples the tiles, so that you have minimal chance of cracking the grout over time.

Go forth and DIY!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Local kitchen places can generally beat the HD or Lowes pricing. They usually build them or know local guys or small company who does.

Another option you can get luck with is look on craigslist for previously used cabinets that will work. You would be surprised how many folks gut a perfectly good kitchen because the wife does not like the color. I have even come across cabinets that were at a home show as a display and the I was able to get those super cheap and then add a few matching new ones to fill out the needs if the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would like to know if any one has installed a new kitchen and/or had one installed? , what features in the cabinet did you address and basically seek out to include in your design? What was your brand and what did you like/dislike about it? This type of work has really left a lot to be desired and it has become harder to sell a specific brand to a customer when they continually listen to the sales people at the box stores. I have used American Woodmark on the lower to mid price point and Omega Dynasty on the Middle of the road to higher end. I know we are an audio first forum but I went Steam Route to see if I could generate any responses, Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and consideration, sawz.
We did a kitchen remodel 2006. We used Crystal cabinets of Princeton MN. Out daughter was the architect.

My golden rules for kitchens.

Double ovens are essential.

Have a powerful vent that vents to the outside.

Use drawers for pots, pans, and larger items, not cupboards.

You can't have too many power outlets, and have multiple circuits. Tripping breakers is a real pain.

The counter tops are maple, and made by a guy who left the legal profession for the life of the artisan.

The fridge is subzero, dishwasher is Kitchen Aid and the hood is Ventahood from Texas.

The ovens shown are Bosch, but they were junk and I quickly swamped the out for GE Monogram, which are superb. The cook top is Bosch and is fine.

Plentiful drawer space is essential.

We all just love this kitchen. It makes cooking a joy and it has been well used. As you design a kitchen you need to be very conscious of work flow.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis