King Kong Extended Edition

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I don't want to start a flame war about how great or terrible a movie this was. I just want to know if anybody besides myself is going to pick this up today?

What's been the press about the extra material? I think I heard that only 14-15 minutes of extra material were added. Is that true?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know. I was originally going to hold off on the purchase of the original until this version came out...but I caved. Let us know if the dts (and the extra footage) is worth it. Thanks.

Edit: This extended version is only dd. There was talk of a dts version...but apparently not.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
DTS would be the only reason I would consider it. Sure doesnt need to be longer!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Half the movie is great. The other half was blah; I liked the original better.

I agree, it certainly doesn't need to be longer, but I didn't pick up the original version because I wanted to get this one :) Not picking it up on release day, but probably will when the holiday sales roll around. I wouldn't call it a must have.

Here is a previous thread we had about the theatrical release:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21053&highlight=king+kong

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I saw it today when I picked up Forbidden Planet, I believe it's 38 minutes of deleted scenes, I think the movie is way toooo long anyway. And even though its 3 discs the asking price is way too much for my taste. I'll wait till it comes down.

BTW, I can't believe people are already setting up chairs at CC and BB for the new PS:p COME ON!!

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
stratman said:
I believe it's 38 minutes of deleted scenes...
The way I understand it, those deleted scenes are still deleted, just "bonus material" on the third disc. I think they only re-incorporated 13 minutes of new footage into the film itself. Which is far less than any of the LOTR films saw in their extended editions.

I'm not buying the film again for only thirteen minutes of new footage. I don't think I'll be buying the film again until I get it in HD. And then only after the format war is decided.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
They probably hacked those 38 minutes because they realized the film was way too long....so now they have to make more money by "re-selling" that extra film that got left in the editing room floor:D It's nuts!!

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
That's not all. The new extended edition doesn't come in DTS after all. Only DD 5.1

But unlike most of the posters here, I liked the film so I picked it up. However if they ever offer a DTS version, then this will be one of the few titles I own that make it to the coveted TRIPLE DIP category.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
NO DTS?!, way too long (the island scene was looong), and it costs 30.00 bucks.....I'll wait. The movie isn't horrible, but it doesn't have the charm of the original, much better than the other remake(s) (1976, I believe with Faye Dunaway?).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis