M

musicholic

Enthusiast
Hi,
Unfortunately I had to downsize my budget from th emartin logans (the wife).
I'm looking at the following configuration:
KEFIQ9 (mains)
KE IQ2C (Center)
KEF IQ3 (rears)
KEFPSW2500 (sub)
Denon 2807 (receiver).

Questions;
1) Would you pay $2400 for these speaker system and $900 for the receiver? Or is there something better for the same price range?
2) Brandnamez.com is offering approx 10% - 15% these prices - has anyone shopped there? Is it a reputable site?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
musicholic said:
Hi,
Unfortunately I had to downsize my budget from th emartin logans (the wife).
I'm looking at the following configuration:
KEFIQ9 (mains)
KE IQ2C (Center)
KEF IQ3 (rears)
KEFPSW2500 (sub)
Denon 2807 (receiver).

Questions;
1) Would you pay $2400 for these speaker system and $900 for the receiver? Or is there something better for the same price range?
2) Brandnamez.com is offering approx 10% - 15% these prices - has anyone shopped there? Is it a reputable site?
The KEFPSW2500 sub lacks in the lower frequency range (33 Hz). And if your room is of some good size, the 10" driver could be overwhelmed.

KEF speakers enjoy a very good reputation.

The Denon 2807 has version 1.1 HDMI. Before investing that much in an a/v, I would wait for version 1.3 HDMI (required version for DD TrueHD and DTS-HD if you plan on getting a BD DVD player when it gets equipped with a version 1.3 HDMI). In the meantime, get a basic but quality a/v which you could then resale on eBay. And by that time, a/v's equipped with HDMI 1.3 may also incorporate codecs DD TrueHD and DTS-HD. And there's bound to be recording mediums capable to reproduce lossless audio. We may be months away from the availability of these new a/v's.

Last edited:
B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Buy the speakers and ditch the sub. You can do better (and for less $$$) as people here will tell you. Let me know what you think of them when, or if, you buy them.

T

treetownal

Audioholic Intern
I'd recommend going with KEF's larger Q series center channel and a different brand of sub.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker options

In the price range of the Kef's, check out Paradigm, PSB, and Klipsch reference at local dealers. Since you are willing to order online, you should also consider Axiom Audio, Ascend, and Onix Rocket speakers.
A 12" sub from SVS or HSU would be a good option for your application.

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
treetownal said:
I'd recommend going with KEF's larger Q series center channel and a different brand of sub.
I had the same issue when I was buying mine. I went with the smaller center because its' timbre was a better match (go figure).
jcPanny said:
In the price range of the Kef's, check out Paradigm, PSB, and Klipsch reference at local dealers. Since you are willing to order online, you should also consider Axiom Audio, Ascend, and Onix Rocket speakers.
A 12" sub from SVS or HSU would be a good option for your application.
Agreed, but only if you can hear them first.
Analysis paralysis is a killer, good luck.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
If it were me I would step down to the IQ7s and save $150 per speaker for the front. Apply that to getting the iQ6C center channel (far superior center). You may also want to look at switching to the iQ8DS for the rear channels. Much better surround speaker for movies. Dump the PSW2500 in favor of a better offering from someone like HSU, SVS or AV123. For the same retail price point as the PSW2500 you can get a a UFW10 from AV123. May be worth a look.

M

musicholic

Enthusiast
thanks, that's very helpful.
Okay, so I think I'm going with the KEF 1Q 9 as my mains.
since the group dissed the subs and the centers, any particular model the group would like to suggest for those?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
musicholic said:
thanks, that's very helpful.
Okay, so I think I'm going with the KEF 1Q 9 as my mains.
since the group dissed the subs and the centers, any particular model the group would like to suggest for those?
One of those will be proud to accompany your Kef iQ9 Fronts:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box.cfm

If your Fronts are in wood veneer, you can select a sub with similar material. And I would take time to e-mail SVS, provide details of your setup including dimensions of your room. They are very good in suggesting appropriate choices.

Last edited:
B

Blundaar

Audioholic
I wouldnt say dissed. There are just some really good subs out there for less $$$. As far as the center channel, you are mistaken as that topic is diss-free. Stick with the KEF, but check out the iQ6c as well if you can. Either center will prove to be a happy marrige.:)

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
Definitly not going to diss the KEF center channels. I just feel the iQ6c is worth the money for the upgrade. However KEFs subs could use some love. I've got a PSW2500 and 3500 in my showroom right now. While they both are nice subs, I've heard better subs for the money.

S

sivadselim

Audioholic
musicholic said:
since the group dissed ...........the centers, any particular model the group would like to suggest for those?
No one "dissed" their center channel speakers; they simply suggested you get a larger one than the IQ2c to match the IQ9s you plan to run in front.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Quote: Unfortunately I had to downsize my budget from th emartin logans (the wife).
I'd get the Martin Logans and a new wife...;)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis