KEF speakers: any thoughts

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Hey folks. As some may know (and some may not), i've been on the hunt for about the past 2 1/2 months with the idea of picking up some new main speakers. I've posted questions concerning Onix Rockets, Axiom's, etc and have gotten a lot of great feedback. I'm taking my time as I want this to be the last set I buy for a while (having already gone through Paradigm Monitor 5's and my current B&W 601's in less than a year).

I'm currently running B&W DM 601's, but would like to move up to floorstanders. Nothing wrong with my B&W's...totally dig the sound. I just want some floorstanders. From looking around, it seems like I get more bang for my buck by going with another maker as opposed to the B&W 6-- series floorstanders @ $1000/$1400 a pair. So, I'm looking at other manufacturers.

Anyway, I noticed that Accessories4less is now carrying KEF speakers. I've read limited things about them (most very favorable) and can't seem to find any near me to audition (however, I believe Accessories has a decent return policy if I wanna try 'em), so I turn to you. Has anyone heard these speakers, specifically the Q series, and more specifically, the Q5's. The fit and finish look solid, the specs look solid (I particularly like the 91db sensitivity rating as compared to my B&W's 88db...I don't have a separate amp, just a receiver) and overall, they seem on the up and up. So, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about them...sound characteristics. I read somewhere that they were very akin to B&W's, that is, great clarity with a bit of emphasis on the mid-range. Don't know if that's true or not. Anyone heard them? Any one impressed/disappointed? Just curious. Thanks.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
corysmith01 said:
Hey folks. As some may know (and some may not), i've been on the hunt for about the past 2 1/2 months with the idea of picking up some new main speakers. I've posted questions concerning Onix Rockets, Axiom's, etc and have gotten a lot of great feedback. I'm taking my time as I want this to be the last set I buy for a while (having already gone through Paradigm Monitor 5's and my current B&W 601's in less than a year).

I'm currently running B&W DM 601's, but would like to move up to floorstanders. Nothing wrong with my B&W's...totally dig the sound. I just want some floorstanders. From looking around, it seems like I get more bang for my buck by going with another maker as opposed to the B&W 6-- series floorstanders @ $1000/$1400 a pair. So, I'm looking at other manufacturers.

Anyway, I noticed that Accessories4less is now carrying KEF speakers. I've read limited things about them (most very favorable) and can't seem to find any near me to audition (however, I believe Accessories has a decent return policy if I wanna try 'em), so I turn to you. Has anyone heard these speakers, specifically the Q series, and more specifically, the Q5's. The fit and finish look solid, the specs look solid (I particularly like the 91db sensitivity rating as compared to my B&W's 88db...I don't have a separate amp, just a receiver) and overall, they seem on the up and up. So, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about them...sound characteristics. I read somewhere that they were very akin to B&W's, that is, great clarity with a bit of emphasis on the mid-range. Don't know if that's true or not. Anyone heard them? Any one impressed/disappointed? Just curious. Thanks.

KEFs are very good speakers. What is the impedance though?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
8 ohms. I downloaded the pdf of the line and checked it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
corysmith01 said:
8 ohms. I downloaded the pdf of the line and checked it.

OK. I asked as some of their line is a solid 4 ohms, or less. 8 Ohms is a good load for amps. Have you listened to it? How is this better for you than what you have? If you like its sound that much better, it is a no brainer.

I would not recommend changing just because of the 3 dB better sensitivity. There will be others with even better sensitivity ;)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I wouldn't change for that either. That's just a bonus. I put in the original post that I'm interested in moving to floorstanding...mostly for some more "oomph" when I listen to 2-channel direct (no sub). Also, I have a rather large room so floorstander would fill it up a bit better. Again, not unhappy with the B&W's...just want to move to floorstanders.

nav

nav

Audioholic
I use a pair of KEF Q5s for my front speakers (sometimes I think I'm the only person outside of the UK who owns KEF speakers :p). I have yet to listen to any B&W speakers, so I couldn't compare them directly. Depending on what you listen to, they may be good enough to work as full range but they aren't speakers that can be used as full range for everything. Their bottom end isn't as powerful as their midrange and loses accuracy the lower you go. I have not listened to the Q7s or Q11s, but you may want to see if you can find somewhere to listen to them and compare them with the Q5 and, of course, all of them with your B&Ws.

I do find it interesting that KEF is allowing their speakers to be sold online. Although they are reconditioned. I would say it's because their new iQ line is coming out, but Accessories4Less is also carrying the Reference and XQ lines...

I

Iago

Audiophyte
I know about a dozen people who swear by KEF. Almost all of them use NAD power. I have always thought they sounded great. Very balanced between highs and mids and not heavy in the bass. I don't like a thumpy bass myself, and if you don't listen to a great deal of "dance beat" sorts of music, the lack of low end boom should not bother you. And like you, I think they are an exceptional speaker for the money. About the only complaint I can think might apply is that they are fairly directional. I enjoy a two speaker sound that presents a wider stage. But that's personal taste.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
I haven't heard any of the recent KEF offerings but I always thought the older designs sounded better then their comparable B&W counterparts. The KEFs tended to have slightly less low-end then the B&W equivelent but this is one of the reasons I think I liked the KEFs better...they were not boomy and muddy like poorly placed B&Ws can be. I'd love to have a pair of the old 107s or 105.3s from the reference line. I've been trying to get a friend of mine to sell me his 107s that he has in storage for 2 years...he won't give them up. Ultimate Electronics which does business under a few different store names around the country did carry KEF here in the Dallas area (until the stores closed).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've always liked KEF too, and I though it was interesting when I noticed earlier this week that they were carrying them. A friend of mine has older towers and they sounded great. Very musical speakers, but I found the Qs to be relatively sensitive to room placement.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Lincoln said:
I haven't heard any of the recent KEF offerings but I always thought the older designs sounded better then their comparable B&W counterparts. The KEFs tended to have slightly less low-end then the B&W equivelent but this is one of the reasons I think I liked the KEFs better...they were not boomy and muddy like poorly placed B&Ws can be. I'd love to have a pair of the old 107s or 105.3s from the reference line. I've been trying to get a friend of mine to sell me his 107s that he has in storage for 2 years...he won't give them up. Ultimate Electronics which does business under a few different store names around the country did carry KEF here in the Dallas area (until the stores closed).
I have not heard any of the new KEFs either, though I do remember a time when I was looking for a new receiver, and one of the audio shops I visited had some KEF speakers hooked up and I was so impressed, I starting to think that maybe I should be buying new speakers instead (or also). As I did not have money for all that I wanted, I did not purchase anything at that time. I later on ended up with Heybrook speakers, which were replaced by Carver speakers, which were replaced by Aurum Cantus speakers. Of course, this trip down memory lane does not help answer the question of the original post.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis