KEF Reference Meta & Perlisten comparison

Q

quattro_98

Enthusiast
Does anyone have experience with how the Perlistens (S or R series) compare with the KEF Reference Meta line? I am thinking about mixing and matching these in a living room surround setup (not a dedicated room) to meet the install limitations.

I am most interested in tonality/timbre. Both are very linear and should sound similar. The differences in dispersion are easy to find. I want to see what those who have heard/measured both think about them. Maximum output isn't important to us.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Does anyone have experience with how the Perlistens (S or R series) compare with the KEF Reference Meta line? I am thinking about mixing and matching these in a living room surround setup (not a dedicated room) to meet the install limitations.

I am most interested in tonality/timbre. Both are very linear and should sound similar. The differences in dispersion are easy to find. I want to see what those who have heard/measured both think about them. Maximum output isn't important to us.
Why do you want to mix & match?

Q

quattro_98

Enthusiast
Mostly due to installation limitations & the models offered in the lineup.

Perlisten offers on-wall models for surrounds and enclosed ceiling speakers. If I want to stay with KEF, I can wall mount an R8 Meta easily or use the R2/R6 Meta as a surround. KEF has nice in-ceiling speakers, but all are open back, so sound leakage is a concern.

We're in a high rise condo with concrete ceilings/floors. The interior has a suspended drywall ceiling which allows for in-ceiling speakers and recessed lights. In-walls won't work where I need to put them, so I need surface mount speakers. I don't want floor/stand mounts for the surrounds.

FWIW, in our last place, we had a surround setup that we enjoyed with speakers from multiple lines to make it work in the space. There I had concrete ceilings, so needed surface mount speakers for Atmos. I used Focal Domes. They aren't great, but did the trick with a very high crossover. I used Revel in-walls for surrounds and they complemented the LCR fine. At that time, I had Aerial Acoustics 7B & CC3B for LCR (now KEF Reference Meta 3 & 2).

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Have you considered Triad OnWall Speakers?

They are fantastic sounding speakers, and Triad will paint them for free to match your wall color.

Triad Datasheet

Q

quattro_98

Enthusiast
Thanks. I’m not interested in Triad for this project since I’m looking for high linearity and low distortion. I do like the versatility of their line.

Q

quattro_98

Enthusiast
It’s definitely an option. Dynamat also has some soft retrofit boxes. They won’t be the right volume or have the sound isolation of a rigid enclosure.

We do have existing in ceiling speakers throughout our place from the prior owners which are open backed, but I am cautious about taking a chance with the main system. Once a neighbor is sensitized it could be an ongoing problem. I want to avoid that situation.

What about using generic Foam Back-Box Enclosures?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

Perhaps @shadyJ will chime in?

Q

quattro_98

Enthusiast
I've heard Perlisten speakers (S7t) once, but don't have a lot of experience with them. I am mostly looking for some input on whether they are in the same family tonally. Opinions vary, but I have no problems mixing neutral speakers when the environment is different (front vs surround vs height). Staying in the same family is ok too, but for a variety of reasons, I prefer the KEF Reference Meta over Perlisten for LCR. Maybe @shadyJ has experience with both?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've heard Perlisten speakers (S7t) once, but don't have a lot of experience with them. I am mostly looking for some input on whether they are in the same family tonally. Opinions vary, but I have no problems mixing neutral speakers when the environment is different (front vs surround vs height). Staying in the same family is ok too, but for a variety of reasons, I prefer the KEF Reference Meta over Perlisten for LCR. Maybe @shadyJ has experience with both?
I have heard both but not in a way that I would try to compare them. The only way to do that is to do an AB comparison, and I doubt many people have done that between these specific speakers. That being said, while I would not mix these speakers in a front stage, I would guess that you can use either as surrounds and would not notice the difference in that capacity.

Q

quattro_98

Enthusiast
Thank you. I'm in a large market, but Perlisten isn't easy to find. Ideally, I'd bring a pair of bookshelves or monitors home to compare and then go for it. I will do some more checking. Since I'm mostly looking at surrounds and heights, demoing those is even harder. I suspect they will be fine since all are quite linear.

I have heard both but not in a way that I would try to compare them. The only way to do that is to do an AB comparison, and I doubt many people have done that between these specific speakers. That being said, while I would not mix these speakers in a front stage, I would guess that you can use either as surrounds and would not notice the difference in that capacity.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I’m not interested in Triad for this project since I’m looking for high linearity and low distortion. I do like the versatility of their line.
Let me know if I can help you with KEF.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis