KEF - R Series Dual 5-1/4" Center Channel....

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
On sale at Best Buy, normally 1300.00 on clearance for 854.00.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Or, they didn't sell well and BB is dumping them. Or, KEF may be discontinuing this model. Or,.....
I found this:
British speaker manufacturer KEF has updated its R-series loudspeakers with a new Meta line featuring seven models, including three floor-standing speaker options, bookshelf speakers, two center speaker options, and up-firing surround speakers.

But even if discounted seems like a good deal. Its definitely has to be better then my current center channel!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I found this:
British speaker manufacturer KEF has updated its R-series loudspeakers with a new Meta line featuring seven models, including three floor-standing speaker options, bookshelf speakers, two center speaker options, and up-firing surround speakers.

But even if discounted seems like a good deal. Its definitely has to be better then my current center channel!
Newer isn't always better anyhow....and that new Meta center is going to be 1400 for a long time.

Centers are the source of most headaches in any system, so if you like this one...hang on for dear life.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I found this:

At some point, every model will be superceded- if the old model is discounted, the price:performance is usually good enough that spending the additional money is hard to justify.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just too bad there aren't more choices in this area, hard to imagine spending that much money for 5.25" drivers (or the coax or limited spl functions that typically come with those).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just too bad there aren't more choices in this area, hard to imagine spending that much money for 5.25" drivers (or the coax or limited spl functions that typically come with those).
What is your evidence that a coaxial driver necessarily limits spl? It does not. A greater choice in coaxial center speakers, is exactly what is required for this application. That is why I designed a coaxial center for my reference system. It does not limit the spl. of the system.

Coaxial drive units are inherently more costly to manufacture though. That is really the only significant downside I know of.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is your evidence that a coaxial driver necessarily limits spl? It does not. A greater choice in coaxial center speakers, is exactly what is required for this application. That is why I designed a coaxial center for my reference system. It does not limit the spl. of the system.

Coaxial drive units are inherently more costly to manufacture though. That is really the only significant downside I know of.
I've seen many comments about limited spl with the Kef coax drivers. Just not robust.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've seen many comments about limited spl with the Kef coax drivers. Just not robust.
When Erin tested that unit, he got 106 db. out of it before it showed early dynamic compression.

My SEAS coaxial drivers are built under license form KEF and I have never exceeded their capabilities, although my drivers are these 7" coaxial drivers, and 200 watt rated.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
I have to say this KEF R2c center channel, is an amazing sounding speaker! I've had the volume up to reference or 0 and this baby just sings with no issues I know the spl with the Kef coax drivers has been somewhat of a concern, but I've not had that issue. Granted I'm only pushing 135 continuous wattage from my Outlaw 7000X.

Now I'm really wanting the KEF R7 towers, that are currently on sale as well. But I've got to draw the line somewhere before my wife checks me into AA aka Audioholics Anonymous It just keeps rolling around in my head, if I don't act now I probably won't get that good of a price later on down the road for new speakers. But I'm sure the Meta R7 models will eventually come down in price.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis