KEF or Polk - In-ceiling speakers comparison

S

Steve Saussier

Audiophyte
Hi,

Without a doubt KEF is superior to Polk, but if I compare specific in-ceiling model of Polk to KEF, would any specific KEF would still be better?

I intend to buy in ceiling speakers for my whole house. There would be around 14 around the house. Some would have better audio requirement (Living Room, Gym room and my office) (around 3 pairs), while others would just be used for normal audio.

For the good pairs (3), I am oscillating between either Polk (80F/X-LS) or some KEF in-ceiling ones. For the normal listening (other 4 pairs), I can go a bit cheaper.

Do you guys have any suggestion?

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why in ceiling is my only question as when talking quality I don't think in ceiling.....just easier to install or something?

S

Steve Saussier

Audiophyte
I'm hoping to have in ceiling to have around the house as it would be seamless and wouldn't create clutter.

I'm also hoping to have L/R and center in wall speakers in my living room.

Well, that's my dilemma.

What's your suggestion?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm hoping to have in ceiling to have around the house as it would be seamless and wouldn't create clutter.

Well, that's my dilemma.

What's your suggestion?
Not to trade supposed lack of clutter for good audio quality would be my suggestion and not even consider ceiling speakers but that's me :) You might look into a combination of pre-pro or avr with a multi-ch distribution amp to handle both surround duties of a main room and have the multi-ch distribution amp handle all the ceiling speakers through the house You might even consider a 70v setup.

S

Steve Saussier

Audiophyte
Thanks, do you have some company speakers in mind?

L

lewb

Audioholic Intern

Well, that's my dilemma.

What's your suggestion?

Many will try and talk you out of in ceiling and in wall speakers. I did my living room with a 7.1 all in the wall or in ceiling. I wanted like you, no clutter and a clean look. I have no where near the quality of kef speakers (BIC America acoustic tech). My living room has a 10' ceiling. The left and right are in wall 3 ways and the center is an 8 inch two way above the tv 3 feet out centered. I will tell you having the center above the TV works well. The rest of the my whole house audio was done with 2 speakers in kitchen, single dual channel single speaker in bath rooms and bed rooms. I did build boxes to keep all the speakers from the insulation in the ceiling and boxes for the in wall so the sound would not transfer as much in the large cavity. If you want to paint the screens I just got the paint for the walls and reduced it a lot so it is pretty much like water. Using a foam brush dab until the paint comes out of the small holes, kind of time consuming but the end product looked really good,

W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
I would love a pair of nice towers in my living room but my wife likes our hidden behind the shear curtains Bose cubes.
Ceiling speakers might be the answer so I'm definitely interested in this thread.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis