KEF 12b vs Definitive technology DN10

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
Hello friends this is my first post here on this forum.
I did a search before and found nothing directly comparing KEF 12b and Definitive technology DN10

I will use 90% for music as its secondary system in my small office.

Today I have a pair of Definitive technology D7 amplified by a Loxjie A30.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're slightly different subs, Kef being sealed and DN10 using passive radiators (so more a ported design) and priced differently.... why these two particular subs?

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
Eles são subs ligeiramente diferentes, Kef sendo selado e DN10 usando radiadores passivos (portanto, um design mais portado) e com preços diferentes.... por que esses dois subs em particular?
[/CITAR]
Here in Brazil we don't have the most famous brands like Rel, SVS, rythmik.
We only have Kef, Polk, Deftech and Cambrige Audio available.
After much research these were the only subwoofers that go below 30hz. It has the Pol XT12 that says it goes down to 24hz

both the 12b and the DN10 can be found here in Brazil for $911 dollars

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
After much research these were the only subwoofers that go below 30hz. It has the Pol XT12 that says it goes down to 24hz

I meant Polk XT12 above. @lovinthehd

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

KEF is hardly unknown.

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
Yes, @caioferrari has just given us some info on the situation in Brazil.....he got a 12b....but I'd like to see 3rd party testing of all of these (including the XT12).
Which one would give me more low bass in near field listen at low volume?
1 x 12 inches (kef 12b) or 3x 10 inches (DN10)?

I ask because on a daily basis I listen at low volume in my office.

The build quality of the DN10 seems to me to be better than the KEF 12b (Photos from the internet)

I even bought the 12b but canceled it. I found two topics about noise at high volumes and that the 12b turns off if the volume is low.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
(using google translate i get this) Which one would give me more near field bass for low volume listening? 1 x 12 inches (kef 12b) or 3 x 10 inches (DN10)? I ask because I listen daily at low volume in my office. The build quality of the DN10 seems better to me than the KEF 12b (Photos from the internet) I even bought the 12b, but I canceled it. I found two threads about noise at high volumes and that the 12b turns off if the volume is low.
More bass would be more about increasing volume, level matched they should just be that, level matched. Sometimes at low levels it's preferable to have some sort of loudness contour to help due the way we hear particular frequencies. Auto-on circuits can be an issue with sub amps, not just Kef (but some subs offer an always on mode instead).

ps How did you determine build quality via pictures? What did you note particularly?

pps seems you addressed the translation thing about same time....and guess same program :)

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
Mais graves seriam mais para aumentar o volume, nível correspondente, eles deveriam ser apenas isso, nível correspondente. Às vezes, em níveis baixos, é preferível ter algum tipo de contorno de intensidade para ajudar devido à maneira como ouvimos frequências específicas. Os circuitos de ativação automática podem ser um problema com subamplificadores, não apenas com Kef (mas alguns subs oferecem um modo sempre ligado).

ps Como você determinou a qualidade de construção por meio de fotos? O que você notou particularmente?

pps parece que você abordou a questão da tradução na mesma época ... e adivinhe o mesmo programa:)
Thank you for your attention, I'm glad you took the time to translate to answer me.

As for the construction, the kef 12 driver looks very simple, low-quality. The DN10 circuits seem to me to be much more elaborate and state-of-the-art technology.

Excuse the simplicity, I'm just a good equipment enthusiast.

In my living room I have a pair of Revel M16 and a pair of Baubos towers (Transmission line from a Brazilian speaker design), powered by a Cambrige Audio CXA61

Baubo: https://audiokit.com.br/caixas-acusticas/baubo-luxo-uma-versao-bem-especial.html

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
More bass would be more about increasing volume, level matched they should just be that, level matched. Sometimes at low levels it's preferable to have some sort of loudness contour to help due the way we hear particular frequencies. Auto-on circuits can be an issue with sub amps, not just Kef (but some subs offer an always on mode instead).

ps How did you determine build quality via pictures? What did you note particularly?

pps seems you addressed the translation thing about same time....and guess same program :)
In this link we have photos of the construction of the KEF 12b

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for your attention, I'm glad you took the time to translate to answer me.

As for the construction, the kef 12 driver looks very simple, low-quality. The DN10 circuits seem to me to be much more elaborate and state-of-the-art technology.

Excuse the simplicity, I'm just a good equipment enthusiast.

In my living room I have a pair of Revel M16 and a pair of Baubos towers (Transmission line from a Brazilian speaker design), powered by a Cambrige Audio CXA61

Baubo: https://audiokit.com.br/caixas-acusticas/baubo-luxo-uma-versao-bem-especial.html
I'd rather see specifications/measurements than pictures (and did see the one you posted and didn't get much with a brief search for the DN10 and circuits wouldn't have a lot to do with the driver, perhaps the amp. We are spoiled here in the US with sub choices, both consumer and diy. I do assemble my own subs for the last several (5 diys). That CA integrated amp lacks bass management for a sub/speaker setup, which wouldn't be my preference for integrating a sub. For your purposes either sub may do fine in any case, not likely any significant difference for your use.

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
I'd rather see specifications/measurements than pictures (and did see the one you posted and didn't get much with a brief search for the DN10 and circuits wouldn't have a lot to do with the driver, perhaps the amp. We are spoiled here in the US with sub choices, both consumer and diy. I do assemble my own subs for the last several (5 diys). That CA integrated amp lacks bass management for a sub/speaker setup, which wouldn't be my preference for integrating a sub. For your purposes either sub may do fine in any case, not likely any significant difference for your use.
Thank you for your time and your considerations.
To give you more context, I'm currently using the Loxjie A30 + subwoofer pioneer sw-8mk2 and I like them a lot, but I miss the lower frequencies that I can hear with my Philips SHP-9500 headphones.

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for your time and your considerations.
To give you more context, I'm currently using the Loxjie A30 + subwoofer pioneer sw-8mk2 and I like them a lot, but I miss the lower frequencies that I can hear with my Philips SHP-9500 headphones.

Thanks.
That Pioneer can't really be called a sub IMO. More a bass module. To me a sub needs solid response to 20 Hz. Room will also be part of the equation with a sub. What are room dimensions?

B

bsampaiosilva

Audiophyte
That Pioneer can't really be called a sub IMO. More a bass module. To me a sub needs solid response to 20 Hz. Room will also be part of the equation with a sub. What are room dimensions?
3,20x2,60 meters

C

caioferrari

Audioholic Intern
Which one would give me more low bass in near field listen at low volume?
1 x 12 inches (kef 12b) or 3x 10 inches (DN10)?

I ask because on a daily basis I listen at low volume in my office.

The build quality of the DN10 seems to me to be better than the KEF 12b (Photos from the internet)

I even bought the 12b but canceled it. I found two topics about noise at high volumes and that the 12b turns off if the volume is low.
I'd never evaluate a speaker quality from pictures.
KEF is a serious maker that doesn't make sh*** products but, as a profit based company, will not spend money with a robust construction just to look better on the pictures.

Between DN10 and the 12b, you'll need to find some measurements.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One other note, the DN10 isn't three 10" drivers....it's one powered 10" driver and two passive radiators (used in lieu of vents).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis