J

jboogie

Junior Audioholic
I have WinISD and BoxPro, and I have spent many hours playing around with designs. The problem is I am very new to this and don't know a good design when I am looking at it. So, I am asking for your help.

Here are the specific's:

12" Kappa Perfect dVQ
300 WRMS Bash Plate amp

I would like to know if the smallish power would be adequate for a sealed enclosure, or would a ported design be better suited for this amp.

Secondly, I listen mostly to music, but love the rumble of HT, so a best of both worlds compromise is what I am looking for. Can someone please help me with a SIMPLE box design that will sound good?

* I am planning on using the sub as an end table for my sofa, and based on what I have read, it will be a front firing design. (Not a necessity, but I have read that it is better for the life of the driver if it is front firing.)

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
have you purchased or own the amp already? if not, there are other cheap options out there. hold tight, our resident DIY experts will help you out.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
300WRMS is not enough for one of these drivers. You will need something along the lines of a Behringer EP1500 minimum for 1. EP2500 if you plan on have 2.

SheepStar

annunaki

annunaki

Actually, the Bash amplifier will work fine, however you may get some clipping induced distortion at higher volumes and/or with dynamic/transient peaks. A bigger amplifier with more headroom would be recommended, but if you already have one it will work fine within its limits.

As for the enclosure design, I would do the Mid-Q insert with an enclosure volume of approximately 3.5 cu.ft.-3.75 cu.ft. (net volume) You can tune the enclosure to around 20hz and will work unbelievably well for music or movies. You will need to design a port with about 40 sq. inches of area (which will be quite long) and that tends to be the hardest part.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, the Bash amplifier will work fine, however you may get some clipping induced distortion at higher volumes and/or with dynamic/transient peaks. A bigger amplifier with more headroom would be recommended, but if you already have one it will work fine within its limits.
Last time I checked, that is a textbook example if it NOT working fine. WmAx was running a lot of power, and these drivers just lapped it up.

SheepStar

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Last time I checked, that is a textbook example if it NOT working fine. WmAx was running a lot of power, and these drivers just lapped it up.

SheepStar
One really can't use me as a reference. I tend to go absurd with power amplifiers these days. My computer stereo has 2 x 20A dedicated lines and over 2000 RMS of power for the sound system on it. My new main speakers, a 4 way active stereo, will have over 4000 RMS. My old stereo mains only have a pitiful 700+ watts RMS. :(

-Chris

annunaki

annunaki

SheepStar

The driver will work perfectly fine on 300 watts rms up until the amplifiers limit of clean output. They are not power hungry speakers by any means. More power means more dynamic capability and headroom. I would definitely recommend a larger amplifier, but the 300 watter will work.

Some of the TC Sounds woofers are power mad drivers.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
Illka's test was done using a 300 watt amplifier and the results are respectable.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/978-diy-infinity-kappa-perfect-12-a.html

If the sub was ported correctly it wouldn't have as much distortion below 30 Hz and would be more efficient than the sealed sub tested in the link.

If your space requirements allow I would build a ported variant. I hope to be able to make a ported system work for me when the time comes, however, the box size tends to be pretty large (at least large in my book).

Have you done a search for kappa perfect 12. There are several good box recommendations from WmAx and TLS Guy in a few different threads.

Good luck.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Illka's test was done using a 300 watt amplifier and the results are respectable.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/978-diy-infinity-kappa-perfect-12-a.html

If the sub was ported correctly it wouldn't have as much distortion below 30 Hz and would be more efficient than the sealed sub tested in the link.

If your space requirements allow I would build a ported variant. I hope to be able to make a ported system work for me when the time comes, however, the box size tends to be pretty large (at least large in my book).

Have you done a search for kappa perfect 12. There are several good box recommendations from WmAx and TLS Guy in a few different threads.

Good luck.
I tried looking up the specs of the amp used in that test. As far as I could tell, it is not even meant for 4 ohms bridged use. It would not surprise me at all if that amp did not even deliver 300 watts in those tests. The distortion profiles suggest to me the amp was not producing much power. The further tests by Illka using EQ on that amp, made it clip like mad.

I easily obtain low distortion 30Hz at 119db with 2x 10" ported Perfects for my computer sound system using a Behringer EP2500.

-Chris

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
One really can't use me as a reference. I tend to go absurd with power amplifiers these days. My computer stereo has 2 x 20A dedicated lines and over 2000 RMS of power for the sound system on it. My new main speakers, a 4 way active stereo, will have over 4000 RMS. My old stereo mains only have a pitiful 700+ watts RMS. :(

-Chris
You told me they took way more power then the measly 300 RMS. I was going to use 300RMS and you said get more! Stupid Robot, must be using Vista.

SheepStar

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
You told me they took way more power then the measly 300 RMS. I was going to use 300RMS and you said get more! Stupid Robot, must be using Vista.

SheepStar
Well, you can use 300WRMS. You will never use the driver to it's capability, and your amp will clip 1st. But you CAN use 300WRMS.

-Chris

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
WmAx,

You must do something serious on that computer of yours to require such power and SPL.

People see my Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers from BB and most think those are high end.:rolleyes:

I can only imagine your system:eek:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
WmAx,

You must do something serious on that computer of yours to require such power and SPL.

People see my Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers from BB and most think those are high end.:rolleyes:

I can only imagine your system:eek:
I'll PM you with details.

-Chris

J

jboogie

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone!

Sorry for the late response. I have had a pretty big family emergency, so I have been away for awhile.

So, to get more specific. If I design a box tuned to 20Hz in WinISD, does that allow for a slot port? How else would I get a port that long? Also, how much bracing is NECESSARY. I have looked at the plan for another Perfect 12, and that is way over my head! (I am sure you all know the one I am talking about.)

How do you know if you should use dampening agent? And do you need to account for this in WinISD? (How)

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis