Kappa Perfect Build

J

James9934

Audiophyte
Hey all,

I am building a single Kappa Perfect sub and I have a few questions.

What gauge wire did you use?
How did you seal the last baffle? Was the opening for the sub big enough to get your caulking gun in there?

I bought a cheap HVLP sprayer to use with my compressor. 35cfm at 175 psi. I know i have plenty of horse power for the gun but i dont know what paint and primer to use. Does that paint need thinning? clear coats? What do you recommend? I want to paint it black.

Anything you guys that completed it would have done differently?

I have all the parts cut and the internal port and brace is complete. I want to run the speaker wires and paint the port before I continue on with assembly.

Thanks in advance,
James

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
if you read through the build thread I did it explains most of the details about the entire construction process, Use 10 or 12 gauge wire, even though it may be a little overkill its such a short distance you might as well just put something overkill in there. It never hurt anything to overspec parts.

If your cuts are good and the panels fit good just gluiing the joint should seal it off but you can still get inside and put some silicone or caulking afterwards if you put it on your finger first. There's really no need though if your joints are good.

I painted mine a semi gloss black which is more like a satin, using some american accents paint from lowes. I'm certain there is better paints out there but this stuff adhered well and looks pretty good, I didnt thin it at all when I sprayed it. You could just give it a try without thinning in your gun and see how it sprays first. I primed it once, then sanded lightly, primed again, then sanded lightly then applied a coat of black then used steel wool, then sprayed a final coat of black. I didnt put a clear coat, but it depends on what type of finish your looking for. If you want a piano black finish then its a whole different story. A painstaking story. But theres plenty of info online elsewhere about how to do that.

J

James9934

Audiophyte
You said you had to drill out the terminals, was there a larger size available?

On ebay all the drivers available have a dual voice coil. If I remember correctly, the original design didnt call for that. Are there any performance gains? Drawbacks?

What tip diameter did you use on your gun? Mine came with a 1.4 tip. Also, was your paint oil or water based?

Thanks,
James

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai

On ebay all the drivers available have a dual voice coil. If I remember correctly, the original design didnt call for that. Are there any performance gains? Drawbacks?

What tip diameter did you use on your gun? Mine came with a 1.4 tip. Also, was your paint oil or water based?

Thanks,
James
You can get the SVC versions from:

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=812&aff=45847

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7817_Infinity+Kappa+Perfect+12+VQ.html

WARNING: These sites have good customer service despite the random web reports that they do not. I have dealt with them. The only real problem is their online inventory may not be accurate. As such, if you order/pay and the item is not in stock, you may be waiting quite a while for your product to NOT arrive. In any case, they will refund you if YOU call them and notify them of what happened. It seems to be a highly automated system and YOU have to follow up in the event of a problem. If you want to be sure the product is available, you must call them up and have them check/verify their stock, which they will do upon request. Only after verification of the item being in stock should you make your order.

-Chris

J

James9934

Audiophyte
Does a dual voice coil on that sub change the T/S parameters?

Thanks for those 2 links.

James

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall

Thanks,
James
I dont think that the binding posts I used came with larger holes in their soldering terminals, It was no big deal to drill them out to fit the 12 gauge, You could probably have put quick connect ends on the cable and fit it over but I prefer to solder all of my connections.

I dont know what kind of tip is on the gun, This was the first time i ever used the HVLP sprayer, the paint is water base.

Dual voice coil will give you a bit more flexibilty with wiring them together for different impedance's which is good for car audio sets and those with multiple drivers but personally i would stick to the 12vq.

As far as sonic electronix goes i ordered all three of my drivers from them and had no problems but their return/repair policy kinda sucks becuase they expect you to pay shipping both ways. Not an option for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis