Kanto Yumi Powered Monitors.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Introduction

There was a time when 5.1 and 7.1 Speaker systems boasted THX certification, High wattage, and advanced speaker designs for consumers for relatively low prices. I'm not referring to your Home Theater market share, those still exist and the prices aren't low. No, I'm talking about computer speakers. Way back before Dolby True HD, and DTS Master Audio tracks were the norm, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 systems we run through a Computer sound card, and the market was buzzing with new systems boasting more wattage, technology, or both.

Jump 10 years or so from the heat of the speaker wars to the decline of the industry as a whole, and little remains of the past armada. There is a couple staples still present, but they need to be more then just computer speakers in order to gain any market share, which is why they double as home theater systems with built in decoders. The bulk of the market is either using high quality headphones or powered monitors, which is where we find ourselves today. I was coincidentally contacted by a good friend of mine about just such a type of speaker. He had a set of Kanto Yumi powered monitors that he wanted my feedback on. Currently, I am in a place to make noise as loud and late as I see fit, so I agreed to put them through their paces and compared them to my fond memories of my dearly departed Mackies. Note I didn't have the Mackies for a true A/B comparison, but I have enough acoustical memory to know the major differences off by heart.

Features and Specifications

Tweeter: 1 inch Silk Dome
Woofer: 5 inch Kevlar
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Sensitivity 2.83V (/1w/1m): 87 dB
Amplifier Type: Class A/B
Power Output: 30 WRMS per channel
Input Sensitivity: 350 mV
Total Harmonic Distortion: < 0.7 %
Crossover System: 2 way
Crossover Frequency: 2 kHz
Frequency Range: 20Hz - 20kHz
Frequency Response: 60Hz - 20kHz +/- 6 dB
Inputs: 2 x Optical, 1 x RCA L/R, 1 x 3.5mm mini-jack AUX, 1 x Bluetooth
Outputs: 1 x Subwoofer (RCA), 1 x USB Charge 5V 1 A
Speaker Terminals: L/R Binding Posts
Input Voltage: 110V 60Hz /220V 50Hz (Manually Switchable)
Standby Power Consumption: 0.5 W
Remote: Included
Dimensions (Each Speaker): W 6.9" x H 10.7" x D 8.1" (175 x 272 x 205mm)
Net weight (Active): 14.1 lbs (6.4 kg)
Net Weight (Passive): 9.3 lbs (4.2 kg)
Gross Weight: 26.7 lbs (12.1kg) (boxed pair)

Design and Features

I'm no stranger to powered monitors. For years I had a pair of Mackie MR5 powered monitors (first generation - True Bi-amped design) as my computer speakers after selling my Logitech Z-2200 2.1 system (Lots of power, lots of bass, not enough fidelity in the mid-high due to full range speakers). The Mackies were a power house for a 5 inch powered monitor. The woofer had it's own dedicated 55 watt amp (per speaker!) and the silk dome tweeter saw 30 watts each. 85 watts a side merely feet from your face (sometimes less) was nothing short of staggering. The design featured a rear slot port large enough and tuned properly to turn a small powered speaker into a system that never once made you feel like you wanted a subwoofer. Mind you, I used this system in a house with reasonably sized rooms, but it was not afraid to dig low or loud. The Kanto Yumi also features a rear port, but it's a 2 inch flared design. Personally I didn't hear any port noise, so I won't say the slot vs round is pro or con for either system. With only 30 watts a side, the Kanto is at a clear power disadvantage. Testing will tell if that becomes apparent in spirited playback.

When it comes to looks, the Mackies are in the back of the prom, with stink fumes coming off their backs. A flat back smoothed finish has no business being in the presence of hand crafted, real bamboo cabinets. Really, these are stunning speakers to behold. The bamboo seams and joints are flawless and you never once question the "real" moniker that goes with them. You pay a premium for the bamboo finish, but I will gladly say that you're getting your monies worth. Structure wise, I can't say how well built the Kanto is compared to the Mackie. I will say the Mackies are heavier, and have identical enclosures (you can buy 1, or 5 of the same speaker). I would assume the Mackie is a step ahead as far as internal structure and design, but that will be all speculation until I see insides (I'm not taking them apart, they're not mine). Adding to the cabinets, the drivers are also much more impressive looking. Now, I say "looking" as visuals are not a be all end all for a speaker. A pretty speaker that sounds like garbage has no place within my walls, but I will give credit where credit is due, the drivers (woofers) have a very nice kevlarly carbon fiber look to them, and the clean lines and flush (almost too flush) mounted drivers have a classy look. This is important, as these speakers don't have grills. Although bolts and screws can be done in a way that doesn't detract from a clean look, covering them up consistently and cleanly is easier and makes the package look more polished. The tweeter is a silk dome unit, and it looks the part. I will say that it's anti flush mounted, in the sense that it's actually pushed into the baffle by what I can only assume is 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. It's perfectly smooth and cleanly recessed, but I wonder what bearing that excessive amount of recession has on the sound. Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment that isn't connected to a blood supply, but maybe one day someone will take a mic to them. The Mackie tweeter looks identical, but It's probably not. The woofer is a treated paper cone, but the sound of it was out of this world so Kevlar or not, I preferred the Mackies lower half.

When it comes to features, the Mackies and the Yumi's have their own set of skills. Being a Studio Monitor, you don't really care that much about remote controls, Bluetooth, or USB ports. The goal is precise sound, and bullet proof reliability. The Yumi's on the other hand, are loaded with just about anything you could ask for in a powered speaker system. The list includes a USB port that charges when in stand by or powered on, a subwoofer out, 2 optical inputs, RCA and 3.5 mm inputs, and bluetooth 4.0. Now I don't have any Bluetooth 4.0 devices, but I was assured that the format transmits flawlessly and works just as well as an Optical on the Yumi's. The Remote control is amazingly handy, with shelving tone controls and reset (didn't really like any settings though), Input selection, Volume, Mute, Power, Play - Pause Forward Backward track jump. The Passive speaker (right) is wired with standard speaker wire, with 5 way binding posts which makes setup very flexible, assuming you don't need the right speaker to be the one with power and source wires. Maybe a switch to flip the left and right channel would be nice for those that have VERY demanding setup restrictions (Not me though, and you can't really fault them as no one is doing this either).

Being a powered 2 speaker system, I'm going to focus my review on what these were meant, or envisioned, to contribute to the lucky person to happens to turn them on. If that wasn't clear I meant not playing War of the Worlds or any Hollywood Block Buster, sub-terrainian bass and surround sound are not what I would use these for. Music play back is the name of the game, and how these speakers fair will be judged based on certain listening material and my mood. Oh... yeah.. everything is subjected to my mood. I will also connect up my Velodyne SPL-800 to see how having a dedicated subwoofer improves the mix, as Kanto sell 2 subwoofers of their own designed to help their powered monitors out. Please note that the Kanto subwoofers are in no way comparable to my Velodyne and the enhancements I experience will not be the same if you were to use a Kanto Unit.

Part 2 Below

SheepStar

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Music Evaluation - Near field

Arctic Monkeys - AM

I have enough genre's of music on my computer to stress any speaker system. From Norah Jones (Which I catch a lot of flack for liking) and Steely Dan, or low quality recordings from friends starting up bands, I can usually find any angle to listen from. I'm going to start off with some Arctic Monkeys - AM. As any of you SHOULD know, this album has some catchy tunes, and really good use of deep bass lines and slamming kicks which really make this album come to life. Track 1 "Do I wanna Know?" features a constant kick pedal with lots of bass overhang (synthetic bass ringing around the initial hit which is quite low down) and smooth flowing bass line complimented by guitar. I love this song, and I know it well, and I'll know if speakers are doing it an injustice. With the subwoofer turned off, the speakers have trouble with the bass line, and pretty much miss all the low tones ringing around the kick. The guitar is smooth and the vocals really punch through with some great clarity and airyness, which is slightly forward, but doesn't sound harsh. I'm not a huge fan of bright or treble forward speakers, but I could live with the tweeter in these. One thing that missing however is mid bass or vocal weight. You could say they lack warmth, but they still managed to reproduce some of the lower bass range well. I played around with test tones in WinISD, which showed the speakers have a hole in their response where above 50Hz into the 100Hz or so range. It's not massive, but it really makes you feel like you're missing a good bit of sound, and warm sound signatures are my preference. The story is similar as you work through tracks on AM. "R U Mine?" has some large kick hits with excessive amounts of bass added for slam, all missing without a subwoofer. Not a fault really, a 5 inch woofer can only do so much. I will say the Mackies had less trouble with the low end on this album, and really could make you not require a subwoofer for enjoyable playback, however they would not come close to the Yumi coupled with the Velodyne. Once the subwoofer was turned on, everything evened out. Cross over around 100Hz, the subwoofer filled in the missing 60-100Hz hole and gave the weight and slam the songs needed. Turning things up even higher just made it more fun. The tweeter really shines through on these speakers, never getting lost or drown out. I played around with toeing to see how things would fair with on and off axis response, and I think my preference is a mild toe in, versus a straight shot on axis. It helped broaden the soundstage and helped the tweeter disappear which I felt it couldn't do that well when on axis. When it comes to this album, I really liked the sound with the subwoofer in the mix. It wasn't bad without it, but the lack of bass really showed when the volume levels rose.

The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

Lets calm things down a bit and spin a couple tracks from The Avett Brothers. I really like the clean presentation of this band. The vocals are clean and the harmonies are rich, with a good mix of instruments that give off a large, warm sound that is pleasing at any time of the day. The title track "I and Love and You" starts of with soft piano and smooth male vocals. The piano is clear, and delicate, with the vocals sounding full and powerful with beautiful harmonies. Without the subwoofer engaged, the Yumi's have little trouble with most of the low end, with male vocals and bass lines well represented, even at high volume levels. With a mild toe in, the tweeters still really push the heart of the vocal range with clear and precise treble and a nice airy note to cymbals. It's a damn sweet sounding tweeter, if a bit overpowering at times. "January Wedding" starts with a guitar/banjo intro with each speaker getting one or the other (guitar left, banjo right). The vocals kick in shortly after with a very mild, almost muted response. The airyness to the whole packaged is fantastic, and the steel string guitar is crystal clear. The bass and drums come in around the 1:10 mark, and fill in the sound spectrum nicely. The Yumi's again produce a nice complete image that isn't lacking in any regard. The bass is not quite as effortless as it would be with the Mackies, they would have a bit more forward low end, and a warmth to them that really makes this song sound perfect. Switching the Velodyne back on, things then liven up. The First track doens't really make use of a subwoofer for the first bit, but once the bass kicks in there is a nice foundation for the whole presentation. The yumi's blend well with the Velodyne, everything sounds like it's coming from the speakers on the desk. The lower piano notes and bass seamlessly blend into a perfect image with the tweeter and woofer really shinning, this is a perfect performance for a perfect song. Checking "January Wedding" again, the subwoofer adds a bit of meat to the guitar, as the lower E string has some presence in that weak spot of the Yumi's. It's not a drastic fix, but it really makes the guitar sound like it's being played right front of you. Once 1:10 rolls around, the bass line and drums are alive, with proper weight and this ease of sound that just blends perfectly with the Yumi's. If you couldn't deduce it yet, the Subwoofer really helps this system out, and really REALLY brings it to a whole other level.

Sprybry - Legion of Evil

Ok, this track isn't quite fair for the Yumi's. It's an electronic track, with some very deep bass and hard synthetic kick beats. It's a mellow track as far as electronic music goes, but it is still way more then you should ask of a 5 inch woofer. It starts out with some very low quiet bass waves subtley playing with a violin playing a frantic, almost fearful sound. Soon airy synthesizers kick in and bring with it a lean kick drum and ride cymbal. The synths are smooth and airly, casting a wide and deep image in front of me. Some synth sounding horns (possibly just synths, sound similar to a french horn) lead in to the real bass drum sound with a full bass signal. The synths also drop down into a much more heavy bass range and the build up leading to a type of "drop" starts with everything progressing in volume and range. The Yumi's do quite well, they seem to have a better time with lower bass then mid bass (below 60hz) and do the kick drum and synths proper justice, while still presenting a nice clean mid and airy wide treble presentation. Treble is still forward, and notching it back even 1 step with the tone controls kills the width and airyness that is the tweeters best quality. No point skipping through the whole 1 hour plus set, so I restarted the track and flipped on the subwoofer. Ah, there it is. The deep rumbling at the intro is present and real. The initial kick drum is much more defined and tight, with a nice upper slam that grabs your attention and starts the steady count. As synths sweep in and dance around, the blend of the upper mid attack of the kick and the lower reinforcement of the subwoofer balance perfectly. When the real kick comes in the weight is substantial, and the lower synths now take on a whole new depth. The pairing is perfect, if this was wine and cheese I'd be drunk and fat as I wouldn't be able to put the plate or bottle down. Once the main beat starts, the subwoofer really shows just how much was missing. The synth is deep and clean, the weight and emotion of the track is solid and stable, giving a perfect platform for the woofer and tweeter to dance and entertain me up top. Please sir, I want some more.

Part 3 Below

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Music Evaluation - Far Field

Most of the time, these speakers are going to be placed on a desk, with yourself planted within a few feet of the baffle. But with the plethora of inputs and a remote control, Kanto is clearly making a statement that these are designed to be more then desktop beauties, they want people to replace inferior TV speakers and boom boxes with proper, pretty speakers. The setup is a 17x13 room with the listing position a couch just behind the center line, just in front of the 3/4 mark from the rear wall. It's not a great spot for low end, but my Energy C-1's can muster up lower range into the 50s and a bit below from the same speaker location. First thing I noticed was the remote and it's directional nature, it's IR so you'll need a fairly straight shot for it to register on the front left speaker (the active one). Once my aim was adjusted the music was started via my iPhone 4 using the same 3mm to L/R RCA wire as the computer. I didn't bother with optical or Bluetooth as they are not something I can setup easily for testing (and no Bluetooth 4 means possible signal quality issues). Also, RCA and 3mm are the most basic hook ups anyone can use, and if they sound fine, the other connections won't sound any worse.

Sprybry - Legion of Evil

I'm beginning where we left off, using Sprybry - Legion of Evil as it's the one that will test the low end fill of the speakers in my largish room. When I started up the track I noticed the tweeters had calmed down. The space between obviously helped the point source blend more and the forward presentation reduced to a nice level. They were still airy showing all the same quality's of the previous setup, but so did the mid with that dip in output just above 60Hz. As the song played, I gradually increased the volume. We're no where near reference levels when the woofers decided that the bass had become too much and let out a hollow very soft bottoming sound. We're probably sitting around 85dB or so, loud enough you couldn't talk over it easily, but not NEAR what a proper movie theater or dynamic passage of a film would require for proper listening. This is okay though, as most people wouldn't go past this range with their own homes, and you can add a subwoofer to help the low end. One thing I noticed is that the speakers do not have a high pass control to cut the bass when the subwoofer is connected. If the woofers are going to bottom out, and you can connect a subwoofer and keep the volume on the rise, they should really have the woofers hand off the low end. When I had the subwoofer playing I couldn't hear the very faint distress of the Yumi, and the last thing you want is to break something. Speaking of subwoofers, with the Velodyne engaged (and in a slightly non idea spot) the sound was full again and blended well. The near field setup was much better as far as depth and maximum SPL as the subwoofer was right below me, but it took a hollow sounding low and and filled it right out while providing slam and depth.

Arctic Monkeys - AM

While searching for the album on my phone (which wasn't there for some reason - probably booted when U2 raped it the last time I connected it to iTunes) I noticed something slightly annoying my friend mentioned about the speakers. After 10 minutes with no remote input, they shut off the light and disable the external control on the speaker. You have to hit the power button to wake them back up. For a living room system, it should be ready to adjust all the time. If you need to turn some music down quickly you'll need to wake them up before you can even spin the knob on the front of the speaker. Slightly annoying, and something I would remove in the future, as it's not like it's in power saving mode, it's still playing at whatever volume you had it set to.

Once I got that sorted out, I focused on the music. The Yumi's definitely left a big hole in the low end without the Velodyne engaged. The tweeter and midrange really shined though, with a large image and great tone. Flipping on the subwoofer enhanced the missing low end (again, not the best spot for it) and brought the system to the level it needed to sound as good as it looks (fantastic, if you weren't aware). The only limitation it has is overall volume, the woofers just can't keep up and the repeated slams from the tracks causing distortion and bottoming that was not pleasant. With only 30 watts and small drivers there is only so much you can ask for, and that is simply more volume, more time, and more of what these are producing. Didn't matter which track, they all sounded dynamic and huge, never letting you feel like you had a desktop system setup as a 2 channel music rig, that is until you asked for really high volume levels that speakers of this size and power range shouldn't have any business playing.

The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

Switching back to the Avett Brothers (and having to re-add the album to my phone as well), the Yumi's will now get a slightly easier task, one that should be more within their range of abilities in such a large room. All I have to say about this album playing through these speakers, is "Perfect". Huge sound stage, perfect dispersed treble and reasonably stout bass considering everything. With the subwoofer off the woofers didn't embarrass themselves, and let the midrange and treble dazzle you with an adequate foundation. With the subwoofer on, the last missing bits of punch and depth filled out with ease, and it didn't matter what was going on, it was superb. The lack of super low hits allowed me to increase the volume a bit higher then before, and finally into my music sweet spot level (the loudness I prefer). Phenomenal performance from some great speakers, just shows you how much a good song can transform a speaker system. It's unfortunate they don't have more sophisticated limiters to help with what they can't handle. A high pass filter would really save a lot of headache and worry for those that like music and movies that present more dynamic and demanding low end. I'd also like to see some indicated volume level on the display on the front. You never know how far up the line you've gone, and knowing a number would be nice for setting and forgetting the speakers in the future. I moved the subwoofer to it's preferred spot and replayed the Avett brothers tracks with that location, and the lowest notes filled out and fattened up a bit, but the relatively close proximity is a little too tactile for some music. Either way, the enhancement and addition was noticeable and preferable to nothing, but this album didn't posses the same challenges as the Arctic Monkeys album or the Sprybry set.

Part 4 below

SheepStar

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Conclusion and Thoughts

I've had these for the better part of a month, and today was the day I did all the critical listening and wrote the notes for my findings. When I first set them up I was disappointed with the lack of mid bass. I loved the treble and sound stage, but wished it was a bit less forward. Adding the subwoofer transformed the near field setup into a real system, and didn't leave me wanting much (although if you were to buy that whole system new, it would be almost $2000 dollars ($1400 for the subwoofer - street price was $400 when I bought it used). You can save some bucks by opting out of the Bamboo finish, but you do get what you pay for with that option box ticked. The Yumi is second in line from the top YU5 speakers which boast 40 Watts per channel (and class D amplification) as well as larger 5.25inch drivers. Stated response is 50Hz instead of 60Hz, but I found the Yumi produced 50Hz tones very well in the near field setup. The YU5 is $50 dollars more Canadian, and starts tipping into the serious studio monitor area. My old Mackeis were $220 each, but required a separate source system (M Audio Omni I/O with Delta 66 Sound card). The whole package set me back around $700 at the time but it was much more stout and flexible.

Comparing the Kanto's and the Mackies, it's clear where the money has gone on both. The Mackies are a no fuss, no frill monitor, with dead accurate treble - a perfect tweeter that disappears and plays faithful to the source. The woofer has clean midrange and enough low end to handle almost any genre of music. Each speaker has more power then both channels of the Kanto (each woofer almost matches the whole set) and that kind of power definitely makes it's presence known. You could crank those to stupidly high levels with no strain or complaint. Featuring RCA, TRS and XLR inputs it's not going to be setup in anyone's living room, it has 1 purpose and that's tied into a Mixer, Studio, or dedicated music computer. Kanto took the money and made 8/10s of the MR5 speaker that anyone can setup, enjoy, and share. The treble is super airy, and the midrange direct and clean. Bass was not as stout or impressive but a simple and convenient subwoofer port answers that question, albeit for an addition expense. With a plethora of connections, good build quality, and pleasantly impressive playback, it's hard not to recommend an audition to anyone in the market for a powered speaker system. It'll blow away any computer speaker system of conventional design.

Pro/Con List

Pro

-Beautiful Bamboo Cabinets.
-Airy, wide treble sound stage.
-Clean midrange.
-Any connection you could possibly want.
-Remote control
-Bluetooth 4.0.
-Subwoofer port.
-USB port charges even when in standby.
-Switchable 110/220V.
-Reasonable value.
-Well made.
-Speakers use real binding posts so larger (12ga wire) wires and longer runs are possible.

Con

-Midbass slightly lacking.
-Won't crank to 11 without risk of woofer bottoming.
-Subwoofer port does not bypass internal woofer, no way to set a hand off frequency.
-Bamboo finish is a premium price.
-No displayed volume level.
-Remote is IR so requires direct path to speaker.
-Speakers go into sleep mode after 10 or so minutes, requiring a "wake up" before controls can be resumed.
-Would like to see a L/R flipping switch for those that have restrictive setups.

Ratings

Features: 5/5
Appearance: 5/5 (4/5 for non Bamboo finishes)
Design: 4/5
Tweeter performance: 4/5
Woofer Perfomance: 4/5
Value: 4/5

Pictures are below.

DSC_7292 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7293 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7294 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7296 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_7300 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

And for reference, the Mackie MR5s
DSC_4178 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

SheepStar

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'd just like to say, the character limit is really lame.

Sheepstar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Review amended as the USB port is Purely for Charging, does not playback or have controls. Shame, that would be another feature to add.

SheepStar

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Those speakers were on woot a few days ago for $199... I though about posting them here but by the time I got to my computer I had forgot what I was doing and just ended up looking at porn...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Those speakers were on woot a few days ago for $199... I though about posting them here but by the time I got to my computer I had forgot what I was doing and just ended up looking at porn...
That fappens to all of us.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis