JVC's new 180Hz LCD Technology

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
JVC unveiled a new LCD panel at CEATEC offering 180Hz panel operation frequency, an improvement over current 120Hz models. JVC said that it's new technology uses a proprietary algorithm enabling the panel to predict, produce and insert two additional frames of images every second in a standard 60 fps video stream, which compared to 120 Hz systems produces smoother, higher resolutions according to JVC.

JVC also debuted a 42" LCD TV with a reported contrast measure of 100,000:1 this was achieved using LED backlight technology in combination with it's own "Area Control LCD Driver." LED backlight sources are placed under the LCD panel, where the driver controls the luminance in each of 128 areas of the panel's surface, luminance levels are adjusted after analyzing the distribution of the video input signal. The backlight system uses 1,151 RGB LEDs in total.

This implementation allows power usgae to be cut back by about 50% compared to Cold Cathode Fluorescent (CCFL) back-lit models available today. This LED technology has the added benefit of broadening the color reproduction range to 116% of the NSTC specification. The new TV has an unimpressive 32" size screen and sports 1,024x768 progressive resolution. JVC was mum on wether the panel would be made availabe to the US market, we'll have to wait and see.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I thought that I'd read that 120Hz didn't produce that big of an improvement over 60Hz. Makes me wonder just how much of an "improvement" 180Hz is.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
So the new JVC will be interpolating two new frames for every original rather than just one with 120 Hz. Sounds all well and good but I too wonder if it will really matter.

Well here's the thing. 120Hz is VERY useful with respect to translating frame rates. 180Hz is, in my opinion (and I will give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt before saying too much) not nearly as helpful. Here's why:

120Hz / 2 = 60p frames per second (4x 30fps video)
120Hz / 5 = 24p frames per second (judder-free film without need for pulldown)

180Hz / 3 = 60p frames per second (6x 30fps video)
180Hz / 7.5 = Oops... doesn't make for equal frame duplication for film and we again have to deal with pull-down frame interpolation.

This seems to me to be a case of "more is better" marketing when in fact it is not. I hope this doesn't become a trend where consumers think 180 is better than 120 - when in my opinion it is not.

D

Derelict

Audioholic Intern
Well here's the thing. 120Hz is VERY useful with respect to translating frame rates. 180Hz is, in my opinion (and I will give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt before saying too much) not nearly as helpful. Here's why:

120Hz / 2 = 60p frames per second (4x 30fps video)
120Hz / 5 = 24p frames per second (judder-free film without need for pulldown)

180Hz / 3 = 60p frames per second (6x 30fps video)
180Hz / 7.5 = Oops... doesn't make for equal frame duplication for film and we again have to deal with pull-down frame interpolation.

This seems to me to be a case of "more is better" marketing when in fact it is not. I hope this doesn't become a trend where consumers think 180 is better than 120 - when in my opinion it is not.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis