Just trying to work with what I have... Need some help

X

xesvuli420

Audiophyte
I am trying to get a decent setup, with what I have, and I could really use some help. Here is what I have been using...

TV
XVT3D650SV
65' Vizio 3D LED TV

Receiver
SU-g75

Speakers
Don't know the model, but they are Pro Studio.
The 2 tower speakers are 150 RMS 300 PK
The 2 speakers on the left tower speaker are the small 1+2 in my layout
and the one on the right most tower speaker is not in use as of right now.

Ok let me begin with my layout...

Ok here's the deal, for a long time I have used this setup, but I know i haven't been taking advantage of the tower speakers because on the receiver some of my outputs have never worked, so I have had to do some rigging just to get them all to work. like tie both tower speakers together in 1 "rear" output. I know I know, not ideal, but I got sound, and have had it this way for many years.

Well now its time to get a more efficient receiver, and hopefully finally be able to enjoy my speakers.

I want to take advantage of the bass I know the towers can supply, as well as have the "voice" come thru the small speakers. whether I can set it up that way with optimal audio or not, idc. The small speakers are by your head, so I want to be able to hear what is being said from them, and have the rumble/effects from the towers. If I am forced to only use mono, or simple stereo to accomplish this, thats fine. I would love to have a ideal setup, but the more I try and do it right, the more frustrating it is.

So anyways, I went to walmart, and bought this...
Walmart.com: RCA 1000W Home Theater with Receiver: Home Audio & Theater

Hoping that I could just use my speakers, (maybe with the exception of the new bass tube/sub woofer that came with it) and upgrade just the receiver. I even bought one of those Optical cords hoping it would be even better.

Now this new receiver has 3 ways you can hook it up. Analog, Optical, or HDMI. Well Analog is a thing of the past, so lets not do this one. If I wanted HDMI, I would have to move all my connections from the TV to the receiver, and use its remote to switch between inputs(seems like a lot of moving around to do the same thing) And finally Optical. I thought this would be my most efficient choice.

So I hook the tower speakers (separately) into their own input for "rear", Hooked the small speakers into "front", and left the sub for the sub woofer. I didn't hook up the new sub yet as I wanted to get a good sound before I added some oomph. I plugged in the optical cord, and set the receiver for optical, and couldn't hear anything. I was worried something was wrong until I increased the volume. Then I quickly realized that it WAS working, just not any good at all. Here are some other issues with this setup.

Problem 1. Zero bass at all out of my towers!!!
Problem 2. I actually had to turn the thing up to MAX to get a comfortable listening level. this was by NO means loud!!!
Problem 3. Using the "Optical" cord, the receiver would have to be adjusted separately than the TV. My TV has a VARIABLE OUTPUT setting for Analog, but nothing like that for Digital(smart move Vizio) meaning this would be an extreme headache. Either turn OFF TV audio, and just adjust receivers audio, or use 2 remotes every time I adjust the volume.

I played around with the "settings", and I either got really crappy sound, muffled static, only the 2 small speakers working, or all of the above! Never got anything worth keeping.

So I decided to try the Analog Output like I was using on the old receiver. Same thing! Had to turn it to MAX just to hear it, and still crappy sound. So I unhooked it, and decided to return it since I was better off before I hooked it up, and guess what... Now the only outputs that work on my old receiver are the "front"s... So I hooked up the "small" speakers, and called it a night.

Ill admit, I am an extreme noob with all the technicalities of home stereo, but I figured I would be able to figure it out. I mean come on... I got better sound out of my old obsolete equipment.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but either way I need your guys help. Please talk to me in layman's, or at least explain what you reply, but please help me out!

Thanks for your time!
-Shane

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Shane!

I haven't been able to find much information on that RCA unit to verify my suspicions, so I'll state them as such and not as facts.

I believe that the lack of bass is due to the receiver being designed to send all frequencies below some cutoff (and based on images of the speakers, it might be around 200Hz) to the bass module. If that's the case, then no low frequencies will be sent to the front, center, or rear speaker outputs...and there probably isn't any setting in the receiver to modify that.

As for the sound level, your speakers are significantly larger than the ones that came with the receiver. It simply wasn't designed to drive them. I'm not that surprised that it can't push them very loud.

If you get your system set up correctly, you might find that you like it better without the TV speakers on. From the picture of your speakers, it looks like you have one that can be used as a center channel. If you do end up liking it better without the TV speakers on, then the fixed output of the optical cable wouldn't be a problem.

I'm glad that you were able to return that RCA to Walmart. For about the same money, you can get a much more capable receiver (without speakers, because you already have those) such as this Denon AVR-1312 from Amazon for $180. That is just one example of a receiver that I found quickly in the same price range - there are others. That Denon would almost surely blow away the capabilities of the RCA.

As a note, from your diagram, it seems that the towers should be connected as the front speakers instead of the rear speakers. In a normal system, you'd have your larger speakers up front because most of the sound comes from the front. There is relatively little sound that comes from the rear surround speakers.

X

xesvuli420

Audiophyte
have to post 4 times to get past the stupid post count thing, please scroll down...

X

xesvuli420

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum, Shane!
Thank you very much!

I haven't been able to find much information on that RCA unit to verify my suspicions, so I'll state them as such and not as facts.

I believe that the lack of bass is due to the receiver being designed to send all frequencies below some cutoff (and based on images of the speakers, it might be around 200Hz) to the bass module. If that's the case, then no low frequencies will be sent to the front, center, or rear speaker outputs...and there probably isn't any setting in the receiver to modify that.
Your right as far as the receiver not having a setting to control the cut off, I'm not sure if thats the case, but I know it was horrible audio.

As for the sound level, your speakers are significantly larger than the ones that came with the receiver. It simply wasn't designed to drive them. I'm not that surprised that it can't push them very loud.

If you get your system set up correctly, you might find that you like it better without the TV speakers on. From the picture of your speakers, it looks like you have one that can be used as a center channel. If you do end up liking it better without the TV speakers on, then the fixed output of the optical cable wouldn't be a problem.
I just assumed 1000 watt receiver would be plenty, or at least enough to hear it. I don't think I would like that still, as I would rather use just my satellite remote. Maybe I could program the satellite remote to operate the receiver, but UNLESS THERE'S A BIG NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN SOUND QUALITY, THEN i MAY JUST STICK WITH THE ANALOG OUTPUTS.

I'm glad that you were able to return that RCA to Walmart. For about the same money, you can get a much more capable receiver (without speakers, because you already have those) such as this Denon AVR-1312 from Amazon for $180. That is just one example of a receiver that I found quickly in the same price range - there are others. That Denon would almost surely blow away the capabilities of the RCA.
When you say almost surely, are you 100% confident that it would do what I'm looking for? The reason I ask is because I am lucky I bought from walmart because I could take it back. If I get one online, I'm stuck with it.

As a note, from your diagram, it seems that the towers should be connected as the front speakers instead of the rear speakers. In a normal system, you'd have your larger speakers up front because most of the sound comes from the front. There is relatively little sound that comes from the rear surround speakers.
Yea I was talking to the guy at walmart, and he said to always hook bigger speakers to "front". I will definitely try this!

Thank you so VERY much for your post, I really appreciate all the help!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you very much!
Happy to help if I can! :)

When you say almost surely, are you 100% confident that it would do what I'm looking for? The reason I ask is because I am lucky I bought from walmart because I could take it back. If I get one online, I'm stuck with it.
Ahhh, my typical wishy-washy language. :D I'm completely confident that the Denon is a better receiver than that RCA. Completely. Will it make you happy? No one can say except you, and you'd have to try it out first. I understand the reluctance to buy online. Do you have a Best Buy near you? If so, they carry several brands of receivers including Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, and many others. You can ask if there is a restocking fee - I never had to deal with one, but it's been several years since I returned anything there. I thought that Denon 1312 had room calibration, but it doesn't. I'm a huge fan of that feature, so I'd look for one that has it.

Ok got a question...
My receiver now has the word amplified on it... Is there a difference between amplified, and a regular receiver?
All receivers are amplified. They combine the capabilities of an amplifier, preamplifier, and (typically) a radio tuner into one unit.

I'd pass on that unit for that price. Receiver capabilities improve year after year, and that one is old enough that $200 is too much for it, IMO. Not obnoxiously overpriced, mind you, but more than I'd pay. The HDMI inputs are a pre-3D version (which might not matter to you), and it doesn't decode the newer audio codecs that are on blu-rays (e.g. DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis