Just received AKG K812 Pro headphones, for Hong Kong end user...

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Hi all,

Purchased a pair of new AKG K812 Pro's, and I'm a little irked.

These were purchased off the bay. Description says photos are of the actual item. Serial number label on the box is different from the one I received. Also, the top of the box has a Tom Lee International Acton warranty sticker with a bunch of Chinese symbols. Also says "warranty only applicable in Hong Kong or Macau" This sticker is not on the box in the photos on the listing. Listing said "Made in Slovakia", ones I received are made in Austria, which I'm fine with but all of this is kind of setting off alarms.

I'm in the US and worried that if I have any problems here I will have no warranty with Harman, (though I may not have had one either way being that I did not pay full MSRP).

I can post photos of everything, they look legit, but I just want to get a more experienced opinion.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me be the first to alleviate any and all of your concerns and worries about warranty for these and It's quite simple - you don't have one.
To save few shakells what Your bought a) Grey market product b) Product sold in different country.
Pick either of these reasons to be sufficient for Harman , like most any self-respecting vendor, does NOT provide warranty for products purchased outside authorized resellers in your own country.

btw: I love my AKG K712 Pros cans

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks, and I thought that may be the case.

I know this may be a question that can only be answered with 'How would I know', but do you think there are any potential issues here, in terms of do you think it's possible these could be fake? Would you use them? Would you think it's better to send them back as 'not as described' since the photos and description do not match?

Given the serial number on the box, ending in 003xxx, it would seem to be an earlier model, which would represent a made in Austria model, and I'm actually happy that it would be an Austria model over Slovakia, even though there should be no build quality difference. Just not happy that it is not a USA warrantied product.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You could contact the manufacturer and ask if the serial number is real and most likely if they are real they can tell if the warranty will work or not.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My pair has made in austria labeled on cans themselves
like these:

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Thanks again and as always BSA.

I guess it's just from a batch that initially went to HK.

I got a bit worried when I saw stickers with Chinese lettering on it. Tom Lee is a large music wholesaler in HK and they have their own one year warranty and that is what the sticker is for.

I still probably won't have a warranty directly through AKG but as long as I know they are not counterfeit I'm a happy camper

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just noticed that you have quite a few headphones! I also have ordered Fostex TH-X00 PH and waiting them to arrive later this month. Beyerdynamic DT-990 is one headphone I have wanted to buy, but will see if I want them after I receive my Fostex. AKG K701 is another pair I have been looking at. What is your favourite headphone so far?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis