JL Audio E-Sub e110 and e112 Subwoofers Review

M

Majico Garcia

Audiophyte
Hello Joshua.

What was it about the E Series that actually impressed you more than the Fathom series?

Is there more output?

Is the esub more musical?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm really questioning why they do this .... it seems very strange to me, I'm sure they could use damping too....

Ref Jim's review here where he opened up the sub to see no damping inside: www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/73616-jl-audio-e112-subwoofer-review.html
This us the answer I got from Barry @ JL Audio as to why there's no dampiimg inside:
The concept of "damping material" is
a) relatively useless at low frequencies
b) really useless if there are no cabinet resonances

Even if the cabinet were to vibrate, that signal would be so far down in dB relative to the actual output that it wouldn't make any difference.

The JL subs have long throw drivers. The way the cabinets are constructed we are mainly concerned with the air pressure in front of the driver.

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Erin. The JL's are nice subs. I'm a big sub kinda guy and I usually come away underwhelmed with the small sealed units but these have more balls than most.
Hey Joshua,

Sorry to resurrect an old review, but it was very helpful.

I have 2 e110s on order right now for my 17’x17’x 8’ (2300 cu ft) room where we listen to music and watch movies (60% music,40% movies). In this size room do you feel that the JLs will deliver the fullness and punch I’m looking for? I will be calibrating the room with the help of DIRAC through my Monolith HTP-1.

im also entertaining the idea of attempting to blend these e110s with my existing James Loudspeaker EBU1200 12” sub to help lend a bit of low end support to movies. I would value your opinion on using these subs together and if you feel this will only harm the performance of the JL subs.

thank you in advance!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey Joshua,

Sorry to resurrect an old review, but it was very helpful.

I have 2 e110s on order right now for my 17’x17’x 8’ (2300 cu ft) room where we listen to music and watch movies (60% music,40% movies). In this size room do you feel that the JLs will deliver the fullness and punch I’m looking for? I will be calibrating the room with the help of DIRAC through my Monolith HTP-1.

im also entertaining the idea of attempting to blend these e110s with my existing James Loudspeaker EBU1200 12” sub to help lend a bit of low end support to movies. I would value your opinion on using these subs together and if you feel this will only harm the performance of the JL subs.

thank you in advance!
Josh hasn't posted here since 2016. Don't be too hopeful for a reply.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis