JBL Synthesis S4700 Floorstanding Speaker Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We've heard the JBL Synthesis Project Everest speakers in person and they certainly are impressive. If the JBL Synthesis S4700 speakers sound anywhere near as good, consumers may look at that $20k price tag as a value considering they are getting some measure of the performance of the other two, higher priced, speakers. Releasing more budget (comparatively speaking) speakers makes a lot of sense in the current economy. We expect a lot of interest in these speakers and hope to get a chance to demo them ourselves soon.

Discuss "JBL Synthesis S4700 Floorstanding Speaker Preview" here. Read the article.

B

bobbysdad

Audiophyte
$20K is just outrageous.
How much do they really cost to make, then how much is added by profit making by the distributors.
Even at $10K a pair they would still be just too dear for what they are.
Just another pair of overpriced speaker boxes. They're just not worth it.
There's much better around for the price, and I'm a JBL owner and collector.
For that sort of money you could get a pair of ALTEC LANSING 1503 Multicells with double throats and 4x 288 drivers PLUS the appropriate boxes with 4x 515 15" speaks to go with it and still have $10K of change to get some home renovations done to fit it all in or buy some nice Valve/Tube amps to power the whole thing. (The Radford amps comes to mind if you can find them.)
Maybe some JBL "Slots" (077/2405) on top if you can still hear that high!
Don't buy them, and get prices back down to the real world.....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I actually had a chance to hear these speakers last CEDIA. I had no idea they were $20k/pair. I didn't walk away impressed, especially now seeing the price. These are IMO certainly not the best horn speakers I've heard from JBL, though they were the most costly.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I am in general skeptical to these kinds of speakers that put a lot of emphasis on output level and that uses horns like this.... It just doesn't sound natural.... A piano doesn't really sound genuinely like a piano...

If I buy $20K speakers I don't want the piano to sound like a clarinet :eek:

IF you want something that easily plays loud, perhaps JBL is for you, if you want something that makes you believe that you listen to music and that you may have David Helfgott playing in front of you.... you should probably look elsewhere.... Yeah, this I'm stating clear as a polar night without ever listened to the speakers :D

You can look at anechoic response of another speaker from same manufacturer....
Not very linear if you ask me?
(JBL Synthesis 1400 Array BG loudspeaker)

As reviewed and measured in Stereophile...

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
You've gotta wonder about the use of a 2" Ti diaphragm in a 20K speaker. I'd imagine the damped breakup is right in the audible range.

They shoulda gone Be like the DD66000.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You've gotta wonder about the use of a 2" Ti diaphragm in a 20K speaker. I'd imagine the damped breakup is right in the audible range.

They shoulda gone Be like the DD66000.
The tweeter is so sharp you can melt mylar with this thing...

J

jose santiago

Audiophyte
about JBL

not one of you hear any and i means any JBL i hear it and is the best of the best of the best.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Regarding the price, speakers in general from Revels Salons, B&W's 801, KEF's Blades almost every high end speaker prices are outrageous but does it really cost that much to make the speakers and how much of that price pays for the marketing, engineering and distribution not to mention benefits and salaries for those that work at these places.. It all flows downhill to the consumer pretty much like a gallon of milk or gas. You want, You need, You Pay.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding the price, speakers in general from Revels Salons, B&W's 801, KEF's Blades almost every high end speaker prices are outrageous but does it really cost that much to make the speakers and how much of that price pays for the marketing, engineering and distribution not to mention benefits and salaries for those that work at these places.. It all flows downhill to the consumer pretty much like a gallon of milk or gas. You want, You need, You Pay.
We all know markup is huge. For example, the KEF 207/2 is $20K MSRP, but some dealers pay only $9000 for a pair of satin finish (50% off plus 10% incentive).

The biggest cost has to be those beautiful crafted non-resonant ultra-rigid piano high-gloss cabinets. For B&W, Diamond tweeters will also set you back $3000/pr.

But I think those mighty cabinets are the primary cost. Then all the markup.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
We all know markup is huge. For example, the KEF 207/2 is $20K MSRP, but some dealers pay only $9000 for a pair of satin finish (50% off plus 10% incentive).

The biggest cost has to be those beautiful crafted non-resonant ultra-rigid piano high-gloss cabinets. For B&W, Diamond tweeters will also set you back $3000/pr.

But I think those mighty cabinets are the primary cost. Then all the markup.
You have to have markup like in everything manufactured these days to pay for the benefits and salaries of those working not to mention to pay the bonuses of the "heads of the company". Talk about markup how about the markup in drugs given to patients at a hospital. I just got my hospital bill for surgery on my knee ( Feb 1st) and got a $318.00 for "a" "self administered drug".. Interesting.

the markups and over hype in audio is driving most products "out of bounds" for the plain old normal person...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You have to have markup like in everything manufactured these days to pay for the benefits and salaries of those working not to mention to pay the bonuses of the "heads of the company". Talk about markup how about the markup in drugs given to patients at a hospital. I just got my hospital bill for surgery on my knee ( Feb 1st) and got a $318.00 for "a" "self administered drug".. Interesting.

the markups and over hype in audio is driving most products "out of bounds" for the plain old normal person...
Oh, yeah, I get to see every single drug price that we charge in my areas. It's crazy when one drug can be charged $50,000+. :eek:

When I see those drugs, I hand deliver them myself and let the nurses know how much the drugs cost so they can be extra careful. :D

Depressing, I know.

At least with speakers, we can negotiate the prices. Well, I guess everything can pretty much negotiated - speakers & drugs.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Oh, yeah, I get to see every single drug price that we charge in my areas. It's crazy when one drug can be charged $50,000+. :eek:

When I see those drugs, I hand deliver them myself and let the nurses know how much the drugs cost so they can be extra careful. :D

Depressing, I know.

At least with speakers, we can negotiate the prices. Well, I guess everything can pretty much negotiated - speakers & drugs.
Ah...so you are a drug dealer! That explains how you have so many expensive speakers! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis