JBL Studio SUB 550P Subwoofer Preview

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The JBL Studio SUB 550P is a reasonably compact subwoofer featuring a 10" polyplas woofer driven by a 300W RMS (500W peak) amplifier in a sealed enclosure. Normally priced at $600, but currently available on JBL's website for $480, the SUB 550P has a claimed frequency response of 27Hz-150Hz. As always, there's no shortage of competition, so inquiring minds want to know: how does JBL's little sealed sub stack up? Read on to see my initial impressions.

Executive Overview
Ahh, another day, another black box to look at. In the case of the SUB 550P, it's at least a rather small and easily hidden black box (17.5" W x ~15" H x ~15" D), and some effort was made in the styling department so that it won't look out of place next to JBL's rather distinctive Studio 5 series. Like so many other little black boxes, the SUB 550P isn't likely to win JBL any awards from Elle Decor, but it shouldn't have any major problems blending in to your average home theater either.

Aesthetics aside, the question everyone wants to know is how much performance could JBL squeeze out of such a small enclosure? Being a sealed subwoofer, the main determinate of output capability is the driver, in this case a 10" model which at least has the appearance of being capable of the long throws necessary to deliver respectable deep bass performance. One other item on the spec sheet that caught my eye was the weight of the subwoofer; at 50 pounds, the SUB 550P is nearly twice the weight of the similarly priced SVS SB1000. While not a perfect indicator of quality, that extra weight suggests a robust driver that can back up its relatively aggressive look.

Presuming JBL didn't just line the cabinet with lead to boost the weight, they could have a nice little performer here. A 10" driver backed by a 300W amplifier isn't going to fill a huge room with deep bass, but it should be enough for most tastes in a smaller space, particularly with a bit of boundary gain (i.e. corner loading) to boost output and room gain to lift up the low end a notch or two. Speaking of the low end, JBL claims extension down to 27Hz with the SUB 550P, though a keen eye might note that no tolerance is given. However, with a little digging (I happened to glance at the EU product page), I can confirm that 27Hz is the rated -3dB point. Consequently, while the JBL does appear to give up a little extension relative to the aforementioned SVS SB1000, assuming JBL isn't pulling any tricks (i.e. trying to estimate in room extension), the performance of the SUB 550P overall could be very competitive with SVS' entry level sealed sub.

Summary
Overall JBL appears to have a fairly capable little subwoofer with their SUB 550P. The looks aren't anything to brag about, but shouldn't have any problems blending into a room. More importantly, the performance potential here looks to be competitive with a similarly priced and sized offering from SVS. At the sale price of $480 direct from JBL, the SUB 550P could be worth a serious look for folks who want solid low end in a smaller space.

So what do you guys think? Anybody own one? Should Josh put this on his list of subs to torture test?

JBL SUB 550P NG.jpgJBL SUB 550P.jpg

Quick Specs
Enclosure Type: Sealed (forward-firing)
Finish: Black
Frequency Response: 27Hz-150Hz
Amplifier Power (Peak): 500W
Amplifier Power (RMS): 300W
Low-Frequency Transducer: 10" (250mm) PolyPlas cone, cast basket

K

katgrl

Audiophyte
Nice. This smaller sized, heavy-weight may just push other builders into more reasonably priced subs. JLB has a long history of leading the mid-price guys down that path.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Looks pretty good. I'm all for audioholics getting every subwoofer they can into Ricci's hands for testing. I'd be more interested in seeing reviews of higher performance units, but it's definitely great to see budget offerings tested as well.

R

ruzveh

Audiophyte
Extra weight might be better

I think the extra weight is to keep the subwoofer in its position rather then moving like a robot here and there while functioning

T

Talus

Audiophyte
Ok gang.
I've been in this wonderful world of audio since 1973.
Subs did not exist in that era.
This little sub, JBL 550P is quite the amazement for such a small package.
I own two other subs, and by far this is my favorite.
Sealed enclosure is tight reguarding bass.
Many (and I've heard quite a few in high end audio stores) are overrated and priced crazy rediculous prices.
Been buying JBL speakers since 1977.
Made in California....those days are sadly gone...but, they still put out a fine product.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok gang.
I've been in this wonderful world of audio since 1973.
Subs did not exist in that era.
This little sub, JBL 550P is quite the amazement for such a small package.
I own two other subs, and by far this is my favorite.
Sealed enclosure is tight reguarding bass.
Many (and I've heard quite a few in high end audio stores) are overrated and priced crazy rediculous prices.
Been buying JBL speakers since 1977.
Made in California....those days are sadly gone...but, they still put out a fine product.
Right now is a good time to get a matching one for only $189! Only one thing better than a good sub. 2 good subs!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Still on sale for $189 in 2023. I'm thinking of buying one, but I live in a Condo and my Infinity tower speakers already go down to 38 plus or minus 3 db. Not sure if it's worth the hassle but at this price it is tempting. Sorry for replying to an old thread.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Still on sale for $189 in 2023. I'm thinking of buying one, but I live in a Condo and my Infinity tower speakers already go down to 38 plus or minus 3 db. Not sure if it's worth the hassle but at this price it is tempting. Sorry for replying to an old thread.
Why would you like your sound to go effectively go down below 38 Hz? IMO, for movies in it isn't worth it if you live in a condo that has cardboard walls. You need at least concrete walls and floors, preferably well insulated surroundings. For music, unless you like pipe organ music, actually there isn't much below 38 Hz.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
For music, unless you like pipe organ music, actually there isn't much below 38 Hz.
This is an old truth. I listen to zero pipe organ music, but I still have plenty of music from recent years that digs into the 20's or lower.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This is an old truth. I listen to zero pipe organ music, but I still have plenty of music from recent years that digs into the 20's or lower.
Electronic music I guess. There is no acoustic instrument going below 32 Hz except for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra octobass which plays down to 16 Hz, and possibly the contrabass clarinet. As for the piano and the harp, they both have low resonance strings but their output is rather weak.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Electronic music I guess. There is no acoustic instrument going below 32 Hz except for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra octobass which plays down to 16 Hz, and possibly the contrabass clarinet. As for the piano and the harp, they both have low resonance strings but their output is rather weak.
There's more to audio than acoustic instruments otoh.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There's more to audio than acoustic instruments otoh.
Electronic music is audio and doesn't involve an acoustic instrument, right? Any noise is also part of anything we can hear, but I was referring solely to music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Electronic music is audio and doesn't involve an acoustic instrument, right? Any noise is also part of anything we can hear, but I was referring solely to music.
Electronic music is still music too, there's more than just acoustic instruments...

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I know when I really want to impress someone with my system....I go straight to Kraftwerk.
Of course, no one ever comes here so....hey, it impresses me !!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis