JBL ES20 or 30 bookshelf speakers, anyone experienced with these?

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
The JBL ES20 and 30 are on sale now. I can get a pair of JBL ES20 for $129 or ES30 for $199. I'm going toward 11.1 or maybe 11.2 setup. My current set up is 5.1 with Yamaha Soavo-1 for front, Yamaha NS-C444 for center, and Yamaha NS-333 for Surround. I wanted to get the NS-333 to complete my 11.1 but they are still $249 a pair when a pair of JBL ES20 can be get for $129. Will this set up with JBL ES20 or 30 affects my overall sound? Is the JBL ES20 is any good? Thank you...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the JBL sound very good like the Infinity P163, except the JBL have much better aesthetic.

But since you own and love your Yamaha speakers, I think you should stick to Yamaha.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Jbl es20 has an old-timey radio timbre in the female vocal range, but has great highs. I've read the es30 is similar -- no surprise, as series tend to be timbre-matched.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For surrounds the JBL will be OK - however, for front channel serious listening, I would pass.

Jbl tends to fall short with their consumer entry level stuff - I have owned a few.

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
Yes, the JBL sound very good like the Infinity P163, except the JBL have much better aesthetic.

But since you own and love your Yamaha speakers, I think you should stick to Yamaha.

First of all, thanks to all for replying. I'm anxious trying to get 6 more bookshelves to get it to 11.1 or 11.2. I do love Yamaha and there is not a doubt about that. Like I was saying the JBL ES20 is $129 a pair right now and I can get all 3 pairs for couple dollars shy of $400. When the NS-333 is $219 a pair now. Hard decision, but I'll think I will wait for good deals for the NS-333. I bought a pair of NS-333 about 3-4 years ago and they weren't that expensive. I dont know why they jacked up the price on these. Thank you once again...

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
There are some refurbish Yamaha speakers here - which are most likely returns,
due to change of mind or a minor cosmetic flaw.

It is rare for a speaker to break-down, or need repair

It is an option, and a good price
YAMAHA NS-333 5" 2-Way 150 Watts Bookshelf Speaker Pr. Black | Accessories4less

Thanks bro, I did check that website about 2 weeks ago. Their shipping price is steep, almost at $30 for shipping which is too much. Don't know with Tax or not, so that is gonna be almost $180 a pair for USED/Refurb. Thanks once again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis