JBL Arena Speaker Series Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Not long ago, JBL announced their new Arena Series of speaker. So if you are one of the many fans out there, this might interest you. The new Arena Series is a budget solution to fit the pockets of those looking for a good, accessible sound system. So if you are looking for a new surround, keep reading this short overview.
jbl-arena-series.jpg

The new series will include budget stand-mount and floorstanding speakers, as well as a subwoofer and center channel, giving you the option of a complete 5.1 surround sound system. According to the company, these speakers feature computer-optimized drivers and crossovers, while JBL also claims a lifelike, 3D soundstage backed by a powerful and deep bass response. Only black or white finishes will be available.

The new Arena models are as follows:
  • JBL Arena 120 ($200) - a two-way, 5.5in stand-mount design.
  • JBL Arena 130 ($300) - a two-way, 7in stand-mount design.
  • JBL Arena 170 ($500) - a two-way 7in floorstanding design.
  • JBL Arena 180 ($700) - a two-way, dual 7in floorstanding design.
  • JBL Arena 125C ($200) - a two-way, dual 5.5in centre channel.
  • JBL SUB 100P ($300) - a 10in, 100W subwoofer.
What do you say? Are you interested?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
If a 5.1 system would sell for $499.00 I might recommend it. That's 2 towers-center-2 bookshelf and a sub. Judging by the sub alone it's a weak system. Besides I think it's way to overpriced for what you get. For that kind of money you can do a lot better.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll keep my opinions to myself for now regarding the speakers as jbl knows waveguides well, but if that sub is sealed(photos seem to suggest that) , the specs on it not very aspiring to provide "all the bass I'd ever need"

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If the sub comes with a good street price package deal - then you
can always sell the sub.

This all spells budget friendly speakers (waveguide, or no waveguide).
They seem to be replacements for the old Venue series, and upgraded
the waveguide tweeter.

Former Venue Arena bookshelf speaker
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZAC30QQEL.jpg

One thing about JBL, they can come up with some unique series names.

The first report/article about the Arena series was here
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ces-2015-av-electronics-speakers-gadgets-technology-highlights.93188/page-2#post-1066384

All in all, they should hold up nice against the other popular mass market
speakers out there.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
If the sub comes with a good street price package deal - then you
can always sell the sub.
I agree. This system (somehow) reminds me of the Andrew Jones speaker package we reviewed last year where the subwoofer was considered a "weak" link. But you can always sell it in order to buy a better performing sub. Time will tell the whole story.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If the white bookshelf ever go on sale I might bite, nice looking design.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This system isn't for hardcore audio enthusiasts who desire the lowest, loudest, and cleanest bass notes and most dynamic sound.

But the aesthetic is attractive and if the street prices are low enough (like Amazon), it could make many people happy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My friend got smallest Arena 120's based on my suggestion, just like ones AF posted above. He tested them vs his larger old JBLs are was very surprised on how good these sounded, of-course missing the low bass of much larger speakers.
They will be wall hanged to provide TV audio with small amp in bedroom

Now only to convince him that 15Wpc amp (Dayton DTA-1) would do sufficiently well.
If only he'd be electronics engineer specializing in RF field.... oh wait a sec - he is. :p

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis