JBL and Infinity speakers craiglist UPDATE...

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Ok. As some of yall know from my previous posts. i went to go check out the Infinity SM 152's and the JBL E90 speakers. I am reposting the ads and pics of both. I tried them out and i have to say the Infinitys sounded really good. I got home and hooked them up in the garage and they sound great. I still need to mess with them and make them sound as perfect as possible. Check out the pics. Any suggestions on how I can make them sound really good? They are running on an Onkyo HT-R540 (were running on my Sony HT but keeps giving me the protection error).

The JBL E-90's are in great condition. they look new and sound great. BUT I do have a question on them. I also attaching the ad and some pics. NOW I hooked them up to my living room setup which sounds badazz. The E90's come with four connections just like my polks in the gameroom. two red and black on the top and two red and black on the bottom. (the polk audio TSi400's i have the speaker wire connected only on the top two red and black connections then running to the AVR and works awesome (i will attach pic also). I noticed on the E90's that when I put the speaker wire on the top two red and black connections it sound loud. you can hear the high and mid levels really good BUT not the lower levels. Meaning the two 8in speakers on the E90's barely move at all during songs i played like black widow, dark horse and other bass songs. Not sure why??

So I went ahead and took the speaker wire off the top two connections and moved it to the bottom two. Now the sound from the E90's sound really low and the 8 inchers are really thumping.......BUT the mid and high are barely heard......actually the center speaker is where the vocal are coming from and is not loud enough. what am i doing wrong? do I need to connect all four? If so, how?

The living room setup (pic attached) is running on an Onkyo HT-R590, Polk center cs10, two subs one Onkyo 10in down firing and a cerwin vega 10 in down firing, the two E90's and Onkyo surrounds. What can I do to make the E90s give me the high, mid, and lows? I know there are a lot of questions on both sets of speakers......but thank you in advance. Anyway I ended up talking the guy down to $80 for the Infinity's and 190 for the JBL setup (which included the E90's, JBL AVR, 5 Klipsh speakers, 5 JBL speakers and the subwoofer (8in) for $190. Not bad at all for all of this. I think so?

Attachments

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
my living room setup with the E90's. and my garage with the Infinity's. and my gameroom setup.

what can i do about the middle part of the woofer on the infinitys.....the middle part seems to leaving a lot of dust. what can put on it or what can be done (pic attached)?

Attachments

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Somebody really needed to sell something.:)

Looks like you are missing the jumper straps on the E90
Do they have jumper straps on them - if not then cut off
some small wire and make replacement jumpers - then
connect to the bottom black and red posts.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
yes. poor guy. zieg....lamens pls.

is that why i can only hear either the mid and high or just low?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
what can i do about the middle part of the woofer on the infinitys.....the middle part seems to leaving a lot of dust. what can put on it or what can be done (pic attached)?
Your Infinity woofers look like they are fading - them speakers are old.
If it really is dust it should come off - use a duster or a rag or a soft
tooth brush - however be gentle and do not push-in or use a lot of force.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
yes. poor guy. zieg....lamens pls.

is that why i can only hear either the mid and high or just low?
Yes

Now my question is did you audition the speakers and how did they sound
at the place where you bought them from? Did you notice anything?

The lows and upper frequencies are separated by double post connectors,
jumper straps connect them together, so that you can hook-up with one
set of wires. They are separated for bi-amp or bi-wire which all in all tends
to be a waste.

Picture of jumper wire - see if you can work it out

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
If it really is dust it should come off - use a duster or a rag or a soft
tooth brush - however be gentile and do not push-in or use a lot of force.
I use a new, very soft & large paint brush to gently "dust " my speakers and their crevices... does the job quite well...

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Yes

Now my question is did you audition the speakers and how did they sound
at the place where you bought them from? Did you notice anything?

The lows and upper frequencies are separated by double post connectors,
jumper straps connect them together, so that you can hook-up with one
set of wires. They are separated for bi-amp or bi-wire which all in all tends
to be a waste.

Picture of jumper wire - see if you can work it out

Ok zieg. Look i am a major noob when it comes to these type of connections. what I can see is you have one white (speaker wire i assume) going from the bottom red to the upper red. also the same thing on the black side. Then the speaker wire is running from the negative on the top (left) and the positive on the bottom (right) side to the AVR. Correct?

If so. do i have to put banana plugs on the ones running to the avr?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ok zieg. Look i am a major noob when it comes to these type of connections. what I can see is you have one white (speaker wire i assume) going from the bottom red to the upper red. also the same thing on the black side. Then the speaker wire is running from the negative on the top (left) and the positive on the bottom (right) side to the AVR. Correct?

If so. do i have to put banana plugs on the ones running to the avr?
If you have banana plugs then use them - if not then bare wire is fine.

If there are no gold jumper straps connecting the top and bottom connector posts,
like in post #3 - then take some wire and do like the white wire in post #6, and
connect bottom to top on both sides.

Then connect from the receiver red to the bottom red of the speaker - and then
black to the bottom black of the speaker (just ignore the top black of the picture).
It is better to just keep it simple.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
ok. i think i got it. now. the white wire you mention......is there a certain wire i need? or can it be speaker wire? I will get some banana plugs tomorrow after work. i checked this vid out......not to difficult......i hope. I will try it out after work tomorrow. ill post back here tomorrow. thx zieg.

check the vid out.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
ive been googling the strap.....no luck.
A strap is used as a bridge, to make speaker hook-up simple.

A different subject is bi-wire and bi-amp, which should be ignored right now.

Now remember this - never connect both the red and the black on the speaker
with a bridge connection in place. Use only one red and one black. To keep it
simple - connect to the bottom red and black with the jumpers in place.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
ok. i think i got it. now. the white wire you mention......is there a certain wire i need? or can it be speaker wire? I will get some banana plugs tomorrow after work.
check the vid out.
Speaker wire is fine for the bridge (jumper) of the speakers.
I would slow down on the merry-go-round for now.

Most of us use the simple hook-up - and it works just fine.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Well I went ahead and took care of my JBL's. I got some plugs from BB. A friend at BB actually took off the brass bracket of some Klipsch speakers and gave it to me. Got home and put the brackets on the JBL's and hooked them up with some new plugs and BAMMMMMM. Good as new. Put on some songs like Black widow, dark horse, bass boosted songs and they sound bad azzzzzzzzzzzzz. Then I tried them with the phantom menace, revenge of the sith, rambo, and avatar. Wow. I am very happy with my new purchases........speaking of which.

I fine tuned my Infinity's in the garage. We had a BBQ tonight and all I can say is WWWOOoWW!! Along with my Onkyo sub they sound awesome. Very happy overall with my new sets. thx for all the help ya'll gave me.

I do have a final question.......My living room AVR is an Onkyo HTR-590. I was going through the settings after I setup the JBL's. ON this AVR there is no way of setting the XO's on every individual speaker. It just has one option for XO so I set it at 80. ideas?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use a new, very soft & large paint brush to gently "dust " my speakers and their crevices...
I don't know why that's funny but it is. It sounds crazy obsessive in an already obsessive crowd but it sounded like a good idea. I use the fuzzy wuzzy vacuum attachment for that duty.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
i did use a very soft brush and I gently stroked the speakers and the crevices.......worked great. lol

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
I use a a new, very coarse & large loofah to roughly "dust " my crevices... does the job quite well...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis