jackhammer comparisons

B

bdbmwer

Audiophyte
I currently just bought 2 jackhammer 12" that have 500 wat peak 250 wat rms for 60$ a piece on ebay. Shortly after i saw a deal for 2 of the 800 watt jackhammer 12's for 186% so roughly 66$ more. my amp that i have is a DAD9004 digital audio 500w at 4 Ohms and 750w at 2 Ohms. So my question is, would it be smart of me to return the 500W jackhammers pay a 15% restocking fee and the extra 60 bucks for some better subs that will run underpowered? will i get as loud of bass or better? also yes im willing to spend money on a better amp in the future.

annunaki

annunaki

Do remember that this is a home audio forum. Most here may not understand what you are speaking of.

I personally have no experience with those subs. I would be more concerned that you amplifier actually outputs 500 watts rather than worrying which subs will handle "x" amount of watts.

Enclosure design is more important that what you power with in many cases. Ensure that the enclosure is the proper fit for the driver based upon it's Thiele/Small parameters and then worry about power.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I currently just bought 2 jackhammer 12" that have 500 wat peak 250 wat rms for 60$ a piece on ebay. Shortly after i saw a deal for 2 of the 800 watt jackhammer 12's for 186% so roughly 66$ more. my amp that i have is a DAD9004 digital audio 500w at 4 Ohms and 750w at 2 Ohms. So my question is, would it be smart of me to return the 500W jackhammers pay a 15% restocking fee and the extra 60 bucks for some better subs that will run underpowered? will i get as loud of bass or better? also yes im willing to spend money on a better amp in the future.
You got ripped off. Those MTX jackhammers sold new for $50. They are almost the worst car audio sub ever, besides Sony XPLOD's, they will also not handle 500 watts ever. Nor do they run at a 250w rms and work. I got those a couple years ago and sold them about a month after I got them. I'd get something other than the MTX's if you want it to sound decent and have a realistic wattage ceiling. If you're intent on using a car subwoofer, go with a JL, or JVC, or if you can find a used audiobahn somewhere, those have really high limitations, almost godly among car audio.

Either way:
http://www.amazon.com/MTX-JackHammer-JH4512-04-4-ohm-subwoofer/dp/B001C3N18C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269884182&sr=1-3

they say they're on sale, but they've been that price at every store I've seen them at, so I guess it's a permanent sale. There are dark grey ones with smooth cones as well, they are the same, but redisgned aesthetically.

If you want nice, cheap subs:
http://www.amazon.com/MC154-Memphis-15-M-Class-Suwboofer/dp/B002TEQL5I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269884410&sr=1-5

or this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Memphis-PR124D-Dual-Voice-Subwoofer/dp/B000BI7Y6Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269884410&sr=1-2

B

bdbmwer

Audiophyte
thanks serj unfortunately i was on a budget a little too low for those 12's but they looked nice. i probably did get ripped off the more i look around but im working with what i can do now and just cant decide between the lesser and greater version of the 2

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
thanks serj unfortunately i was on a budget a little too low for those 12's but they looked nice. i probably did get ripped off the more i look around but im working with what i can do now and just cant decide between the lesser and greater version of the 2
It happens. I use a site called www.thefind.com and use it to figure out if I can buy something from somewhere else for cheaper. It also helps if you're looking for something and really can't find it. It also lists things on E-bay, real cool.

Either way, what are you using the subs for?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis