Itunes/Ipod connection to higher end sound system

A

alphad

Audiophyte
Hi all...trying to max my audio experience from my ipod or computer w/o spending a fortune or getting too tekkie. Based on input from reading the forum I sprang for an $8 headphone to R/L RCA jack and it works, but the sound is "OK". Its missing the vibrancy and depth of a CD.

Any suggestions on how to connect from my ipod or computer to my Yamaha RX class received to max sound quality? My received has optical inputs (no dedicated ipod inputs) but I was unable to make those work from my computer to my receiver. Never could get sound out.

Just looking for a simple way to leverage the ease of use of my computer and ipod but with better quality than the std plug in to the front of the receiver via RCA jacks method.

Any replies would be appreciated?

Thanks...D

J

jamie2112

Banned
Well 1st thing is unless you downloaded everything as Apple lossless format then your IPOD is playing compressed mp3's. The difference is night and day. There is no dynamics in the mp3 at all. I myself don't know how people listen to them.I would suggest waiting for a few ideas to come thru from other members but my guess is you have a bunch of compressed music you are listening to....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

My guess is that Jamie nailed the reason. We can certainly try to help you get your optical connection working. For one thing, you may need to assign the input on your receiver (using the receiver's menu system). Also, you may need to set your computer to output digital audio.

BTW, which Yamaha receiver do you have? Some of them have a "compressed music enhancer" function that might help if yours has it.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Well 1st thing is unless you downloaded everything as Apple lossless format then your IPOD is playing compressed mp3's. The difference is night and day. There is no dynamics in the mp3 at all. I myself don't know how people listen to them.I would suggest waiting for a few ideas to come thru from other members but my guess is you have a bunch of compressed music you are listening to....
It's hard to know why your sound is so poor, since there are so many variables. The audio quality from an iPod is what you make it - highly compressed, low bit-rate mp3s are going to sound pretty flat & lifeless compared to lossless (or at least higher bit-rate transfers). I rip my stuff at 320 VBR and can't really tell the difference from CDs, at least in semi-casual listening. Disc space is cheap these days, so don't try to put 3,000 songs on a 4G Nano.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong:rolleyes:

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Jamie and Adam, have you ever done anything like a double blind test between 320kbps mp3's and lossless? If either of you has, I'd like to see the results, as I haven't yet seen a real test that found a difference.

The above is not meant to imply that you should start with some 64kbps stuff you downloaded from some p2p source. Start with a high bit rate source. After that, the first thing I'd take a look at is the volume on your ipod and receiver/amp. The sound level you hear from your speakers is a combination of the 2 settings. Try turning the ipod down a bit & the amp up; and the other way around.

For myself, I have an Xbox 360 that plays all my (high bit rate) mp3's. I like being able to make "on the fly" playlists with it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, taking all the previous responses in mind...

Blow some $$ for an Ipod dock that uses the line out from the player. It may cost a bit more than that cable but might be an improvement over the headphone output.

If it isn't, then it's the bit rate at which you recorded the music.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Storage space is getting cheaper all the time, so there's not much reason to not use an external drive to store all of the media and control it with an iPod Touch. As long as iTunes is open and the Touch can access the home's network, it work great is easy to use and sounds as good as the codec allows. FLAC, AAC and the other lossless formats will work best and ofr dumping to the iPod itself, the format can be determined at that time. If it's not practical to run cabling from the computer to the audio system, the Aairport Express is a great tool and it's about $100, so that will replace about 1-1/2 hours of paid labor + parts. The big benefit is that it's portable.

A

alphad

Audiophyte
Storage space is getting cheaper all the time, so there's not much reason to not use an external drive to store all of the media and control it with an iPod Touch. As long as iTunes is open and the Touch can access the home's network, it work great is easy to use and sounds as good as the codec allows. FLAC, AAC and the other lossless formats will work best and ofr dumping to the iPod itself, the format can be determined at that time. If it's not practical to run cabling from the computer to the audio system, the Aairport Express is a great tool and it's about $100, so that will replace about 1-1/2 hours of paid labor + parts. The big benefit is that it's portable.
Hi flier.....thanks for the assist. Dumb question for you. If I bought a song on itunes and downloaded them in one format can I play them in another? Lots of posts said the same thing. The music is compressed thus the lousy sound when I play back with hi quality speakers. Can I change a setting to play from my computer or Ipod in a different/lossless mode?

Thanks...D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Jamie and Adam, have you ever done anything like a double blind test between 320kbps mp3's and lossless? If either of you has, I'd like to see the results, as I haven't yet seen a real test that found a difference.
I've never done a double blind test on anything. :) I have yet to hear a difference between 320kbps and lossless, either. I think that 320kbps is a good rate. I can certainly tell a difference between the 128kbps that iTunes downloads used to be (IIRC, and perhaps some still are) and lossless.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Hey Adam, I've never done a double blind listening test either, but if any audio company wants to fly me to their research facility (or the Audioholics demo room) for one, I'm game.

I have done some bit rate testing on my own. Rip the same sample at different bit rates, and then write the samples as wav's to a cd, along with the original wav. If you put a bunch of them on a cd in a random order, and wait until you forget the order to listen to them, it can at least give you a feel for it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis