It's been a while but here are my findings

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ya, I'm sure the SVS sub(s) would do very nicely with my setup but I need to take it easy because my wife would have a heart attack if I bought any new stuff. The wife factor is in play and I have have to have some tactics, lol!

Syberman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I had to use tactics. My last tactic almost cost me a week sleeping in the back yard. "When I said okay, I thought you were getting one or the other... Not both!". Oops...

I soften my wife up by finding something I think she'd want, like a new tablet or phone. Bribery works. Some women can be bought. :p

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, I had to use tactics. My last tactic almost cost me a week sleeping in the back yard. "When I said okay, I thought you were getting one or the other... Not both!". Oops...

I soften my wife up by finding something I think she'd want, like a new tablet or phone. Bribery works. Some women can be bought. :p
bribery has such a negative connotation.:D
Strategery is one of my favorites.

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Spoken like a man who understands the WAF factor. I 100% support that.
Thanks Buck, when I bought my speakers I didn't tell my wife nor my kids. I told everyone the day before they arrived and their jaws dropped when they saw all the big boxes that were coming in the home. My wife said if I was going to charge a fee for anyone coming over to watch a movie or sporting event, lol!! Then I thought to myself, hmm, not a bad idea, lol!!

Syberman

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Its posts like these that keep me coming back to the forum and keep me reading.
No antagonism, no name calling, no nonsense for the most part. Just information presented in a fairly straightforward way.
You should have seen my first draft :eek:.
My trick is simple. Include all the antagonism, name calling, and nonsense in a first draft, and then revise it to remove all that, while being sure to say something concrete. If I can do that, no name calling can come close.
Audio equipment is simple by comparison and a capacitor isn't rocket science.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughtful answers and the detailed approach.
Thanks. I'm reminded of a favorite Gary Larson cartoon.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My trick is simple. Include all the antagonism, name calling, and nonsense in a first draft, and then revise it to remove all that, while being sure to say something concrete. If I can do that, no name calling can come close.
Thanks. I'm reminded of a favorite Gary Larson cartoon.
sweet. Larson is my all time favorite cartoonist. I miss him everytime I have a hankerin' for a good laugh cartoon. Its also funny because I know a bona fide rocket scientist. He works for one of the commercial firms thats trying to make a go of launching rockets. I will have to send this to him.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
For posts where I sense I'm going to get pushback, or I feel like getting on a soap box, I too will often write a response, edit it, rewrite it, and often times just delete it and let it pass. Some days, a good rant feels right, but after you let it sit for a while and re-read it, you see there are better approaches.

The delete key is one of my most often used keys.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ya, I'm sure the SVS sub(s) would do very nicely with my setup but I need to take it easy because my wife would have a heart attack if I bought any new stuff. The wife factor is in play and I have have to have some tactics, lol!

Syberman

Patience is a virtue (or something like that:rolleyes:)!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I might venture that you are the one who needed the break-in period to get used to your new speakers!

Often "familiar" gets the advantage over "different". I suspect that, had your Ultras been run for a month before you got them, you would go through the exact same period of "acclimation".

Regardless, enjoy the music!
I go through it every night after my initial "break-in." Where I'd swear I have to let the speakers "warm up" a bit. Same with it seeming loud initially starting off at half the volume I was listening at the night before. Doesn't take long to get adjusted though. :)

To my defense, the plastics department where I work has a really crappy radio (crappy music too) and they listen to it really loud and distorted. Also, the welding machines (the new inverters SCREAM on AC) and all the fans at work.

B

bboro30

Enthusiast
Several hundred hours to break in a capacitor? Why? And what does "smooth out the rendition of the high frequencies mean? If we're just talking about frequency response, then that can be measured. I've used several tweeters that measure virtually ruler-flat with a capacitor(s) in line fresh out of the box. It's difficult to believe that any further improvement would be audible. I really don't want to start another debate about component break-in, but statements like this need to be backed by a plausible theoretical model, and empirical evidence.
IMHO If the topic is speakers then Dennis Murphy is the final word.

Alvin Cole

Alvin Cole

Enthusiast
Congrats! Glad all is well. Keep up the updates!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis