It Is Finally Happening!!

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
The walls on my new home just went up Saturday!!! Here are a few pictures of the video room and the Theater.
Have a few questions.

1.) Any cheap thing I can do to the walls to help sound. I was going to double up the drywall in here.

2.) Anybody have any tips or tricks on this, since I have the luxury of building this from ground up?

Thanks
Comments? Questions?

Last edited:
David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Great I will check out the article, Thanks!!

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
For isolation from the rest of the house, see if you can do 2x6 top and bottom plates and staggered studs on the shared walls.

Plan ahead for HVAC entry and exit so it can be isolated inside a soffit for additional sound control.

Try to keep outlets away from the corners so they can be treated with broadband bass control.

Bryan

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Thanks, I'll give this info to my framer.

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Looks great David!

My one suggestion is one that was given to me while our room was under construction....if you *think* you may at some point in the future want to add a component or two, run the cable for it now. It's a lot better to have cables in the walls that you'll never need than it is to need 'em and not have 'em there five or ten years down the road....you know how fast these components go obsolete. I'd also run in-wall shielded RG6 terminated on wall plates close to each corner and both mid-sidewalls for subwoofer cable with an electrical outlet close by, you know how finicky it is to dial in a room with the sub and room placement is paramount.

Good luck and have fun!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks, I'll give this info to my framer.
Looks like it is already framed so a conversion to 2x6 would mean tear down and do over. Why not add another wall inside, an inch or so from the existing walls. Cost of lumber and labor. This way, base and top plate won't transfer any sound either.

Is the screen wall mounted of retractable? If former, not a big deal. If latter, mounting to screw the screen box to.
Trigger wires for the retractable screen and 120V power.

Pre-wiring is cheaper than remodeling later, as suggested by another poster.:D Plan for everything, just about:D

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Forgot something along the same lines - run conduit. Prewire is great - until you need to change something, a new standard comes out, etc. Conduit is your friend. (And remember to put a pull-string in when you put it in).

Bryan

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Congrats on the house.

When is she scheduled to be finished?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Silicone

Since it looks like your already framed.
One other way to sound proof I've seen, is to run a thick bead of silicone down the face of the studs in your HT.
Let it dry, then put your sheetrock up.
The silicone de-couples the stud from the sheet rock. Which results in less sound transfer.
Then use cotton batting( not fiberglass ) in the stud bays.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Congrats on the house.

When is she scheduled to be finished?

Looking at mid January. I ordered all my cables from Blue jean, Going out this Saturday to install the conduit. What size should I use?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

(And remember to put a pull-string in when you put it in). ...Bryan
Yes, that is a good idea but less critical as the conduit will guide the snake pretty well if the string is forgotten:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Probably not. High density mineral wool would be the best choice. It's fireproof, cheap, and good at absorbing sound.
Sorry guys, my fault for being vague.
In the trade it's called 'Rotten Cotton,'
which is mineral wool.
Sorry about the mix up.
Rick

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
I think we are going to use all 3 tricks silicon on the studs, 2 layers of drywall and a heavy insulation in the walls. I'm going to have carpet half way up the walls on the inside of the HT room as well.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think we are going to use all 3 tricks silicon on the studs, 2 layers of drywall and a heavy insulation in the walls. I'm going to have carpet half way up the walls on the inside of the HT room as well.
The carpet shouldn't be necessary. Just use strategic placement of absorption.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

What will you do with that door right next to the wall you are so well insulating?:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis