Issues with integrated amp

D

Doodsmack

Audiophyte
I have an Onkyo A-9050 (https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-9050-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B009JBZFVK). Ever since I set up my Epos Epic 2s it didn't seem right, like the speakers were just not being brought to life fully. Recently I redid the wiring, change impedance setting to 4 ohm, put sand in my stands, and turned on "phase matching bass". The last thing in particular seemed to bring the speakers to life, the bass exploded and everything sounded more vibrant.

Come to find out I had connected the speakers backwards. Switched the wiring for L and R. Now, phase matching bass doesn't have the same effect. It just ups the bass a little bit, but doesn't have the same transformative effect, and the bass is not as loud as before. I then switched to bi-wiring, which did not help.

Everything was perfect before except for L and R being backwards. Would that have caused the "phase matching bass" mode to behave in a different way??? This makes no sense.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Were the speakers in phase before when you first tried the "phase matching bass"? I have the same amp, and the bass boost thing works quite well on mine. I very rarely use it because it adds too much. There is also the bass control if needed. Peace and goodwill.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Everything was perfect before except for L and R being backwards.
Did you mean just L, or R being backward? If you had them both backward then the L and R and the center will likely cancel each other's low frequencies to certain degree while the cancelling effect with the surround speakers will be hard to tell due to the distance between them. If you only have either the L or R backward (that is, reversed), then there will be some cancellation effect between the L and R (and with the C too) in the low frequencies.

In any case, the "phase matching" feature probably acts like some sort of "loudness control", similar to D&M's dynamic EQ. In addition, as implied by the name phase matching, it probably has the ability to detect and correct issues due to one or more speakers being wired in reverse polarity.

Would that have caused the "phase matching bass" mode to behave in a different way??? This makes no sense.
If my assumptions above are correct, or partially correct, then yes, the "phase matching bass" feature should behave differently if you wired one or more speakers incorrectly. Once the wiring are corrected, the "correction" effect should be limited to that of something like D&M's DEQ, that is without having to correct the phase issue, hence less pronounced effects would be observed because there would no bass cancellation due to speakers being wired in opposing polarity to begin with.

D

Doodsmack

Audiophyte
Sorry I was unclear, I had the L and R backwards, not the + and -. I'm back to normal wiring now and it does have a fair amount of bass, so maybe I should be content with that.

D

Doodsmack

Audiophyte
When you say "in phase" you're referring to the polarity right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis