Is Yamaha Rx Z9 About To Be Replaced

neal702

neal702

Enthusiast
I Was At My Local Yamaha Dealer That Is Known Not To Give Deep Discounts, And They Were Selling Out All Rx Z9 Units At A Really Large Discount..with The Option To Upgrade To Another More
Expensive Reciever Within 90 Days. I Could Not Resist And Purchased One (the Best Purchase Of My Life) But Still Would Like To Know If Anyone Knows Anything About A New Replacement For The Current Rx-z9

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Welcome to the forum. This question has been asked before. Here is a link to the previous thread:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15340&highlight=RX-Z9

What kind of discount did you get on the Z9? I have found it for $3600 locally through an authorized dealer, but that's just not in my budget any time soon and for that kind of money there are probably better options for me anyhow as I already have 10 channels of external amplification.

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
i highly suspect the RX-Z9 replacement will be announced before too long. i have been very persistent in trying to track down a RX-Z9 in Atlanta, a very big city obviously, and have had zero luck. i called the high tech network inc, the yamaha distributor for this area. yamaha told me they would be only ones who could give me info on the availability of the RX-Z9. well, that distributor had no information on how i could find that model. my gut tells me that if i can't find that item in a city like atlanta, then it is either about to be replaced or totally discontinued. since i believe that yamaha will still offer a flagship receiver, my thinking is that a new model can't be far off, especially since denon's flagship already has HDMI and the RX-Z9 does not.

i think gene mentioned in the other thread that a yamaha person told him on the cruise that there was no info on a replacement (i can't recall exaclty what he was told, but it was indicated that there was no replacement on the immediate horizon). however, manufacturers are required to be very secretive until announcements are ready to be made. it's a competitive business.

bottom line - i can't offer any specific info that would confirm the RX-Z9 replacement is on the horizon. however, my detailed searching and talking to various people has allowed me to put together a mosaic of information that leads me to believe the RX-Z9 is on the way out in preparation for a replacement.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Everything will be relpaced by a new, improved version sooner or later.

With this hobby, it's mor likely sooner than later. But, in most cases these "improvements" are more likely new features which may or may not be essential to you.

I've found there are nmay bargains to be had at times like these and one can get some fine deals if keeping up with the Jones' is not important and ther are no missing essential features.

In 2003 I picked up a NIB Denon 2802 for $395 from an authorized dealer when the 2803's came out and to this day I don't feel any nagging loss for missing features or performance.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
neal702 said:
I Could Not Resist And Purchased One (the Best Purchase Of My Life) But Still Would Like To Know If Anyone Knows Anything About A New Replacement For The Current Rx-z9
If you got a good deal consider yourself lucky, I'd trade places with you in a sec. :) LOL

I often find that in situations like these that timing is really important to getting deals due to inventory liquidations (ahead of new product releases), if you get 99% of the features you need at a bargain price, than you are doing not too bad.

Take the money you saved and apply it for the next upgrade cycle (it never ends...)

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
i agree with both of you. i bought a RX-V2500 a month ago. while i did not get some of the great deals others got from nonauth. dealers, i did pay $200 less than the 2500 was previously selling for at auth retailers. it is a very good performer, though i feel it is somewhat less robust with all 5 channels running in some movies. could be a variety of things causing this, but who cares. it's a good performer on average all around for a modest size room.

and, i am probably going to add a 5 or seven channel power amp. if i add a $2000 amp, my out of pocket for amp/processor will be about $2800 total and i will have a superb pre/pro combined with a decent 200 watt amp. compare that to the price of a new RX-Z9 and it looks like a good way to get a very beefy setup.

H

hankdog

Audioholic Intern
rxz9 price

:) I don't think It is to be replaced, i talked to my local tweeter guy about a month ago and he said the price and size were making them hard to sell, if you're looking for one at a decent price try the vidiogon auction site, I bid on one a while back and the reserve on it was $2800

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
does your tweeter store still sell the denon 5805? if so, then why wouldn't they also sell the RX-Z9?

H

hankdog

Audioholic Intern
no they didn't have the denon 5805 but just got the new line 0f 3806, 4806's

M

MAX661

Audioholic
I am thinking about selling my Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver because I can get a good deal on a denon 5805, I was wondering what a good price to sell it at is? Somewhere close to the $3000 range for a 9 month old unit in mint condition?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
MAX661 said:
I am thinking about selling my Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver... Somewhere close to the $3000?
Good luck! I'd say somewhere closer to the 1-1.5k region. I bought my 5803 2 years ago for $2,000 (demo), and contacted a local distributor to upgrade to the 5805. He said he sell me the '05 for $4200 with a $900 trade in for the '03 ((he did'nt know it was a demo). Not a chance...i love my '03, and still haven't realized nearly its' potential. I'm sure they'll be out with the 5807(or '09) by the time I need to upgrade...but I digress. Not really; a good choice in an av receiver ought to last you 5-7 years...notwithstanding DVI, HDMI, Blueray, etc., etc., etc. In any event, good luck with the resale. Obviously, sell privately for maximum cash.

neal702

neal702

Enthusiast
Discounted Price

Doug917 said:
Welcome to the forum. This question has been asked before. Here is a link to the previous thread:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15340&highlight=RX-Z9

What kind of discount did you get on the Z9? I have found it for $3600 locally through an authorized dealer, but that's just not in my budget any time soon and for that kind of money there are probably better options for me anyhow as I already have 10 channels of external amplification.[/Q

I PURCHASED 3 WEEKS AGO FROM SOUND ADVICE IN MIAMI FLORIDA ,WHICH IS A TWEETER STORE . I PAID $3188.00 AND PAID AN ADDITIONAL $99.00 FOR AN EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN THAT GIVES ME A TOTAL OF 9 YEARS COVERAGE, YAMAHA'S ORIGINAL 5 YEARS AND 4 MORE FROM THE SERVICE PLAN.

Last edited:
Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Sounds like you got a great buy! Just don't tell Buckle-Meister.

neal702

neal702

Enthusiast
Doug917 said:
Sounds like you got a great buy! Just don't tell Buckle-Meister.
IT WAS A GOOD BUY CONCIDERING I GOT THE PRICE WITH A FULL CREDIT FOR A RX-V4600 THAT I PURCHASED 2 MONTHS EARLIER AND DID NOT LIKE

M

msmith855

Junior Audioholic
neal702 said:
IT WAS A GOOD BUY CONCIDERING I GOT THE PRICE WITH A FULL CREDIT FOR A RX-V4600 THAT I PURCHASED 2 MONTHS EARLIER AND DID NOT LIKE

Interesting that you didn't much care for the 4600 with all the good press it's been getting, but hard to pass up a Z9 if you can afford it... sadly even at that price it's still out of most our price range! :)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
NomoSony said:
Is this new or just some non US version of the RXZ9?
It is the European version of the RX-Z9. The only difference is that the RX-Z9 is a receiver, hence comes with a built-in Tuner whilst the DSP-Z9 is an A/V amp, so it does not. :mad:

Regards

B

BenDover

Audiophyte
Still no news on a RX-Z9 replacement

Since Denon has announced their flagship follow-on, what is Yamaha's response?

I am a proud owner of the Z9 but would welcome HDMI 1.3 switching, new audio codec decoding, etc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis