timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
My parents want in-ceiling front & surround speakers in the livingroom. They dont want speakers out in view. They are however open to having a sound bar mounted under their new 50" Panny. My question is this:

If they got a LCR soundbar would there be a way to connect the 3 channels in it so that it acts as 1 big center channel?

Is there a mix of parrellel & series that would show their receiver an acceptable load?

If this is possible then i could have them use their LCR as a wide center channel then add 2 in-ceilings for their mains & 2 more for surround. This might not sound too bad. At least dialogue will come from near the screen. This would be so much better than all 3 fronts being up in the ceiling.

I wish they were open to the idea of having at least some bookshelves/center up front. But they dont want that so im trying to work with them on this. Thanks for any input you guys might have on this odd request!!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a little curious why you wouldn't just use the sound bar the way it was intended. It would in my estimation sound better than having the L&R coming from above like celestial trumpeting. :D

Anyway I went and looked at the AH store and found this. They have others and I remember reading a very favorable review of a $1,000 Yamaha sound bar if I'm not mistaken. It was suppose to work well if the room had walls that could reflect the sound.

Good luck trying to make the folks happy but I want to be the first to warn you about trying to bring good audio to people who won't tolerate speakers. That's quite the challenge. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
+1. I would use the sound bar for the entire front stage. Anything is better than in-ceilings for fronts.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Is it possible to install in-wall speakers for the mains? As has been suggested before, putting them in-ceiling is just not a good option. You could get away with in-ceiling for the surrounds, but in-ceiling mains would sound like cr*p.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Good luck trying to make the folks happy but I want to be the first to warn you about trying to bring good audio to people who won't tolerate speakers. That's quite the challenge. :)
It is a hard fight and rarely won, but when you do find a kindred soul who will accept reason. Savor that moment. If they want good sound they need real speakers. Everything else is a major compromise. If they want it hidden then it's time for a projector, acoustically transparent screen, and a false wall.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I think the Atlantic Technology sound bars are supposed to be pretty good, and the bstock ones are almost half price.

Free Shipping - Atlantic Technology FS4000-Satinblk-BLEM Flat Screen Speaker in satin black - B-Stock

For a bigger space there's this one:
Free Shipping - Atlantic Technology FS-5000 GLB-BLEM High Performance Flat Screen Soundbar Speaker in Gloss black - B-Stock

If they're willing to go for a soundbar, then how about on wall speakers? That might give you better placement options, and better speaker options:

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=56

http://www.emptek.com/ew30.php

http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-On-Wall-Speakers

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Doable in-ceiling

Paradigm makes a CS-60R-30 that has a 30 deg mount, which actually sound pretty good for in-ceiling. Just a thought.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Believe me i have tried to convince them to get "real" speakers!! I agree with all the recommendations for in-walls or on-walls. The problem is the TV is mounted on a brick fireplace & there are windows that flank it. Absolutely no place for in-walls. I am looking into on-walls as well. I want them to get the GoldenEar Sats, but their budget is very limited.

They set a good 12' from the tv, so in my opinion, a LCR sound bar just wont give a wide enough presence. There will be no seperation up front. Ive heard bars before & unless you are within about 8' they just loose their value.

So can anyone let me know if it is possible to wire the 3 speakers in a LCR so the amp sees a load thats ok?

I know that this wouldnt be a normal way of doing things but i would like to know if its possible. Thanks again for any help on this!!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
FYI: my parents are not looking for anything high end. They have a very limited budget & just want some improvement from the tv speakers. I do want to get them the best sound for their money of course so i am exhausting all options before finalizing anything.

Unfortunately box speakers are out & so are in-wall.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Salamander makes what are essentially outriggers so that speakers can can be mounted to their TV mounts, to sides of the tv. This might be a good solution with some wall mount speakers. However, Salamander isn't all that budget friendly....

As to the original question, you're probably better off with a wall mount center than using a soundbar as you describe.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
price range?

Not to be intrusive but do you know what type of price range they are looking at? There are some decent options out there for bars.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
FYI: my parents are not looking for anything high end. They have a very limited budget & just want some improvement from the tv speakers. I do want to get them the best sound for their money of course so i am exhausting all options before finalizing anything.

Unfortunately box speakers are out & so are in-wall.
I'm confused here.:confused: They would accept a soundbar under/above the TV, but not a pair beside the TV? Could you post a photo of the front wall? Someone might be able to offer a good solution that will blend with the location.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
NewEgg has the Energy Micro 5.0 set on sale for $170 shipped. Those are tiny:
Satellite Speakers: 4.7" x 3.5" x 3.5" / 1.6 lbs

Maybe you could talk them into something that small?

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
After doing more research i am now looking at either:

Emotiva On-Walls $199
Jamo 804b $240

I would much rather have them get 2 to flank the tv & one below. Pair those 3 with 2 in-ceilings for surrounds & a sub & i think they'll be stoked.

Anyone here have any experience with either of these 2 models?

They have some room on the sides of the tv directly next to it still on the brick fireplace. Maybe 8"'each side.

Any other thin, wall mountable options?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis