Is this a decent in room response?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
This is measured at 70 dB at the listening position, no eq.

I'm not convinced the spl meter used is very accurate above 10khz because boosting frequencies above 10khz does nothing to the measured curve. I did try eqing it using the manual eq on my receiver but there isn't enough bands in the correct frequencies to completely solve the problem areas.

This is the result after eq.

Unfortunately the equalizer jumps from 63hz to 100hz, so I can't correct the dip between 70hz-80hz, and it jumps from 400hz to 1khz, and from 6.3khz to 16khz, leaving me with uncorrectable areas. I'm also not a fan of the way it sounds after eq because it seems like the areas I tried fixing required too much boost or cut in order to solve issues around the center frequencies. Either way, pre eq the response is accurate +/- 7dB. I can definitely hear that dip in the midrange though.

Last edited:
HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Are you testing with the rest of your speakers disconnected or running at the same time. Also be sure the Gains on your amp are off when testing the level. Remember a sub should integrate into the system somewhere between 60hz if you mains are capable of useful volume at that level or higher. My recommendation is make sure your receiver/ ss processor crossover is set at 120 he than test than set to 100 test than 80 test than 60 test. See how that sounds with the readings than add the main speaker integration at 80 test than 70 test than 60 test. Be sure to check the main speakers Low frequency Extension, not low frequency effect. Make sure that you cross the mains over to the sub 1 frequency octave (20hz) above the main speakers lowest usable frequency +/- 3db. For example if the lowest frequency is 45 hz use the active crossover in you receiver/ssp and set at 60-65 hz. The processor crossover is pre amplification while a passive crossover in your speaker is post amplification. You actually gain head room from the pre amp crossover and that will improve sound volume across any of the channels crossed over pre amplification. You can set the .1 LFE sub channel information sent from your source component like a DVD player in the receiver/ssp also if it's available to 60 he so the sub will not receive a signal above 60 hz or up to 150 hz depending on the processors min and max setting. Thx has determined 80 hz as the crossover point between sub and other channels as best setting to keep the sub in localizable in the setup. If you lower the crossover of any channel it may become double bass in the frequency that the crossover setting allows the sub to extend into the higher frequencies. That is a personal choice you will have to sort out. Also if you have a friend you could do a clap test until you find the point where the standing waves occur. If 50 hz is where they occur than they will also happen at other intervals like 100hz potentially 150hz so try to avoid those as crossover points. Choose 10 hz above the trouble point so you don't get double base at the trouble point.
I hope you found something useful in that post! Isn't bass management, sub positioning, and integrating it with the rest of the systems fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Using an SPL meter isn’t a good way to take full-range measurements because it won’t give you an accurate graph. You’re equalizing based on an inaccurate graph, which is probably the main reason why the results didn’t sound good.

SPL meters are fairly decent for low frequency measurements, though. However, accurate equalizing requires an outboard parametric model, which can shape filters with surgical precision. The EQ in your receiver is better suited for general tone control not accurate response-shaping.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
I definitely can't add as much to the conversation as HTfreak, excellent reply btw, but both curves pre and post EQ look a lot better than mine at the moment.

Is there any auto EQ or processing going on in the background or are both curves 2ch direct?

Fugazi

Fugazi

Enthusiast
Here's my system measurement for comparison. I have no idea if mine is "good" or not. But this is what I came up with after many days.
System Response.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you using an spl meter instead of a measurement mic?

R

rocky20

Audiophyte
T

Unfortunately the equalizer jumps from 63hz to 100hz, so I can't correct the dip between 70hz-80hz, and it jumps from 400hz to 1khz, and from 6.3khz to 16khz, leaving me with uncorrectable areas.
The dip you're referring to around 70Hz is probably due to room modes and will be very difficult to correct with boost equalization alone. Under 100Hz, it's possible to depress peaks somewhat but hard to fully raise dips with eq.

If you are using a Sub, maybe you can try moving it around the floor to see whether and how that affects the dip at the listening position (measure again).

I also agree that a parametric equalizer will be more effective than your current one. They can be had for under $100 (eg. Behringer FBD) - good to experiment with and if you like the results, you can always upgrade to a better quality unit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis