Is there such a thing as a great pair of low impedance headphones?

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Greetings everyone!

I have been looking at getting a set of headphones that sound good (have a flat frequency response curve), but have a low impedance so I can use it on portable devices such as my phone. Generally if I am at home, and could use an amp to power high impedance headphones, I would be using my speakers anyway.

I have tried the Steinheiser 598s, and they were pretty good, but they are missing a chunk of the high frequencies which kind of ruined the experience. On the other hand, the HD600s have an amazing frequency response curve, but are 300ohm headphones.

It seems the ones that have a good frequency response are for studio use, but is there anything out there with 32ohm impedance, and a good frequnecy response curve?

p.s.

I am not a bass nut. I rather have a balanced sound experience.

Thanks for any help

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Since you're planning on using your phone as a source, the Parrot Zik 2.0 would be worth a listen. I'm pretty happy with mine (as you can see in the review). There are a few on Amazon for <$290 shipped, and they've got a 30-day return window if they fail the audition.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Beyerdynamic DT990 is worth to listen, they have 32, 250 and 600 ohm version. I myself also like Denon AHD-1100 sound, but they have little durability issue with the fork that holds the cups as the forks are hollow. I myself have filled the hollow parts with epoxy and it have hold ok for me.

jennicalexica

jennicalexica

Enthusiast
The DT990 gets my vote as well - I think there's a bunch of choices regarding impedance. I went for somewhere in the middle.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions guy. I hate to say it, but some of the news from CEDIA sounds good. I think I will hold off and take a look at the new RBH headphones

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis