Is there a way to set subwoofer volume limit independently of other channel volume limit?

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I have a 7.1.4 set up with a denon x3800h and underestimated how far the bass travels to the next apartment. Is there a way to limit subwoofer volume differently then the rest of the speaker?
Example: if I have a volume limit of 80DB on all speakers, would it be possible to limit the subwoofer to 70DB? Maybe with multi eq x or so?

so far I have only found ways to reduce subwoofer gain or filter out subbass frequencies via standard audyssey.

thanks for your time!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps the Audyssey LFC feature for something on-board other than turning down the sub trim levels. Don't know about the MultEQ-X app, but the MultEQ Editor App you might quickly draw a new house curve for the low frequencies and save it as a profile?

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
I only have the problem with bass in the loudest movie effects. I only want reduced bass in the loudest effects, everything below should stay the same curve wise. Changing the low frequency behavior in multi eq x curves would change the bass relative to the rest of the speakers for all loudness levels, wouldn’t it?

thanks for your reply!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I only have the problem with bass in the loudest movie effects. I only want reduced bass in the loudest effects, everything below should stay the same curve wise. Changing the low frequency behavior in multi eq x curves would change the bass relative to the rest of the speakers for all loudness levels, wouldn’t it?

thanks for your reply!
I'd just try the LFC to start. Maybe even try Dynamic Volume. The general frequency curve would affect both speaker/sub depending on what frequency you're changing parameters for.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I only want reduced bass in the loudest effects, everything below should stay the same curve wise.
Most likely the only way to do this for the subwoofer only would be to use a pro-audio signal limiter. You could insert it in-line between the receiver and subwoofer. The good news is that good analog models sell pretty cheap used, as the pro market has largely incorporated this function into digital mixing consoles. dbx is a good brand for these processors.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think DV would be worth a try. Man, I do NOT miss living in an apartment. That was almost 30 years ago.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,

I have a 7.1.4 set up with a denon x3800h and underestimated how far the bass travels to the next apartment. Is there a way to limit subwoofer volume differently then the rest of the speaker?
Example: if I have a volume limit of 80DB on all speakers, would it be possible to limit the subwoofer to 70DB? Maybe with multi eq x or so?

so far I have only found ways to reduce subwoofer gain or filter out subbass frequencies via standard audyssey.

thanks for your time!
Wayne is right. Your only solution is a limiter inserted between the sub out and the sub input.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The only solution? In what universe?
Because as far as I'm concerned that is the only device that will do exactly what the OP asked for. He only wants the sub peaks limited and not the rest of the program. So, please suggest something else that would do that job. The sub output is analog, and so this has to be an analog limiter unless you want to do two extra conversions in the sub feed. I don't advise that because of timing issues.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hi all,

thanks for your time!
What sub do you have ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The only solution? In what universe?
I await solutions from your universe Lovin!

I know if no way to limit volume to just the sub output on any AVR or receiver, but may be you know of one.

However this is possible on any AVR or AVP with a peak limiter. It only requires the device and an extra RCA cord. You just connect the device between the sub out and the sub input. The you have just three settings to make: -

1). Threshold

2.) Attack time.

3). Release time.

Adjust those times to how you want to find the least intrusive setting and you are done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I await solutions from your universe Lovin!

I know if no way to limit volume to just the sub output on any AVR or receiver, but may be you know of one.

However this is possible on any AVR or AVP with a peak limiter. It only requires the device and an extra RCA cord. You just connect the device between the sub out and the sub input. The you have just three settings to make: -

1). Threshold

2.) Attack time.

3). Release time.

Adjust those times to how you want to find the least intrusive setting and you are done.
I already posted some suggestions.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I already posted some suggestions.
That does not do what he wants. The LFC sounds too good to be true and if it does help only by tapering the LF. Dynamic volume is too broad for what the OP is asking for.
Some type of gated compressor of which the simplest is a peak limiter, should do exactly what he is asking for.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That does not do what he wants. The LFC sounds too good to be true and if it does help only by tapering the LF. Dynamic volume is too broad for what the OP is asking for.
Some type of gated compressor of which the simplest is a peak limiter, should do exactly what he is asking for.
He said he wanted to lower volume, didn't say peaks particularly. LFC will limit the volume of lower frequencies. Dynamic volume may take some of the worst offending frequencies off the table. Turning trim level down is always a possibility as well, particularly making it a quick select function to toggle between (or using the apps).

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
I really appreciate the discussion, thanks all for your time!!

I have a klipsch RP-1400SW (2023 Model line)

I want to reduce the low frequency peaks, nothing else.
The audio limiter seems to do what I want to do. I guess I will have to do some research what to get and how to use it. I will try to get multi eq x before though (want to get it anyway) and see if LFC will help anything, I guess it will hurt the overall non peak low frequency sound though. I am already using dynamic volume and it does help indeed to reduce peaks but it’s not enough unfortunately. An other 2-3DB would be all I need.

Yesterday I tried finding a better position for the sub but no matter where I put it I am always in a null at main listening position. Getting a second sub would probably be a good idea to hear more bass at same output volume in this case right?

I also think about dampening the ceiling (main problem is apartment above). It’s 3.5 meters tall and i don’t mind slapping 50cm of whatever helps under it. I think if I can reduce the bass traveling out by ~20 percent it might be enough to be able to set statisfying bass levels in the room.

Do you think dampening or multiple subs could help here?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd try the features of the avr first before buying anything. Do you have the MultEQ editor app already? You can adjust LFC/DynVol without an app in any case.

Bass frequencies travels fairly easily through walls, tho, doubtful you can get meaningful reduction by covering your ceiling with something. If you have a wooden floor that is resonating you might try isolating the sub from the floor (try a few towels/blankets underneath the sub), but most of the propagation will be via air.

Second sub would be more about smoothing room response, so perhaps you'd get better bass that way. Might also make your issues worse with another sub....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I really appreciate the discussion, thanks all for your time!!

I have a klipsch RP-1400SW (2023 Model line)

I want to reduce the low frequency peaks, nothing else.
The audio limiter seems to do what I want to do. I guess I will have to do some research what to get and how to use it. I will try to get multi eq x before though (want to get it anyway) and see if LFC will help anything, I guess it will hurt the overall non peak low frequency sound though. I am already using dynamic volume and it does help indeed to reduce peaks but it’s not enough unfortunately. An other 2-3DB would be all I need.

Yesterday I tried finding a better position for the sub but no matter where I put it I am always in a null at main listening position. Getting a second sub would probably be a good idea to hear more bass at same output volume in this case right?

I also think about dampening the ceiling (main problem is apartment above). It’s 3.5 meters tall and i don’t mind slapping 50cm of whatever helps under it. I think if I can reduce the bass traveling out by ~20 percent it might be enough to be able to set statisfying bass levels in the room.

Do you think dampening or multiple subs could help here?
Multiple subs will only help if it lowers the overall energy released into the room. It would need to go down a minimum of 3db to make even a slight difference. That is impossible to predict, and it could just as easily make the problem worse.

Unfortunately low frequencies are the devil for penetrating across architectural boundaries, as you have found out. I doubt putting dampening on the ceiling will make much difference unless you can put it above the ceiling. Even then there will likely be some penetration.

If the MLP is in the null, maybe you could change the listening position. If you could move it back half a wavelength of the null that would make a big difference.

Since moving the sub is not having a big effect, it strongly suggests that the MLP is at the point where the front and rear wall reflections cancel. One approach that might work is to deaden the rear wall and leave the front one live. That is the classic dead end/live end approach and can work well.

You are correct in thinking though that shaving only the sub peaks is the best approach by far. That will not compromise your music listening and only shave the peaks of Hollywood's gratuitous effects, which contribute little to enjoyment, or story telling, but I believe line the pockets of the sub manufacturers.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Adding a bit to what @TLS Guy said about the MLP and a null – you haven’t mentioned much about your room, but generally speaking, perceived bass levels are strongest near a wall, and decrease as you move towards the center of the room. The dead center of the room ends up being a bass “dead zone” – i. e. the null you refer to.

In my experience, the effect is more pronounced the smaller the room is, as typically after you allow for a normal seating distance from the TV, you end up being in or near the center of the room, and thus in the middle of that null.

Since you’re in an apartment, I expect the room in question is on the small side.

Thus, a solution would be to put your seating against the back wall. This is typically thought to be a lousy location, as for as a good surround sound experience is concerned. But it’s a good one in your situation, as it would allow you to reduce the subwoofer level for your neighbor’s benefit, yet still adequately hear it, for your own benefit.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is there room to go VNF directly into the couch?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis