Is the SB-1000 Pro ok for a small room or should I go for the SB-2000 Pro?

O

OZ-ZERO

Audiophyte
Primary usage: Video games and music.
Current setup: Denon X1700H, Monitor Audio Apex 5.0.
Room size: 860.8 cubic foot (24m^3).

I note the SB-1000 Pro is 325 RMS and the SB-2000 Pro is 550W RMS - at equal volume levels can I presume power consumption is equal for both subs?

I don't plan to crank the volume high, I would like to feel/hear bass at low to medium volume levels.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Primary usage: Video games and music.
Current setup: Denon X1700H, Monitor Audio Apex 5.0.
Room size: 860.8 cubic foot (24m^3).

I note the SB-1000 Pro is 325 RMS and the SB-2000 Pro is 550W RMS - at equal volume levels can I presume power consumption is equal for both subs?

I don't plan to crank the volume high, I would like to feel/hear bass at low to medium volume levels.
I don't think it will make a difference. However I would recommend, if you have the room to go to the PB1000 Pro which is ported. I think ported subs on the whole sound a lot better, as the tuning ports couple much better to the room, especially at lower volumes. The sealed enclosures have to have a lot of Eq to get low bass and so there is a lot more stress on the amp.

To make a really good sealed sub, takes a lot of power and an expensive driver. As far as I'm concerned the only reason to buy a sealed sub is you don't have room for something a bit bigger.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as equal power output from each amp at same spl, not sure why you're asking....or are you actually thinking of power consumption?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I have a pair of SB1000 Pros listening to music in a 10’ X 12’ bump out room that opens to a larger room behind me and they sound excellent. I am limited in the size of sub I could get based on the fact they needed to fit in the 2 front wall corners next to my tower speakers. Haven’t tried the 2000s so can’t offer a sound comparison. Suggest talking with SVS. their customer service is excellent helping with buying decisions and even setup and sound after the sale.

O

OZ-ZERO

Audiophyte
I don't think it will make a difference. However I would recommend, if you have the room to go to the PB1000 Pro which is ported. I think ported subs on the whole sound a lot better, as the tuning ports couple much better to the room, especially at lower volumes. The sealed enclosures have to have a lot of Eq to get low bass and so there is a lot more stress on the amp.

To make a really good sealed sub, takes a lot of power and an expensive driver. As far as I'm concerned the only reason to buy a sealed sub is you don't have room for something a bit bigger.
I did order the SB-1000 Pro after speaking to SVS (who recommended that sub based on my small room size - they said the SB-2000 Pro wouldn't be a notable upgrade) but will probably return it for the PB-1000 Pro if I find the performance lacking.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Great hope it sounds good. One of the great things about SVS as you know is you can upgrade within 45 days for just for the up charge for the PB. Good listening!

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Being able to "feel" the bass and low to medium volumes will not happen. You'll hear it but not feel it unless you use a high volume level and are sitting in a good spot.

O

OZ-ZERO

Audiophyte
Being able to "feel" the bass and low to medium volumes will not happen. You'll hear it but not feel it unless you use a high volume level and are sitting in a good spot.
Does that apply equally to the PB-1000 Pro and SB-1000 Pro?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you listen at modest levels, you need some sort of loudness compensation eq, as our hearing is less sensitive to bass at reduced volumes. That's the case whichever sub you use.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does that apply equally to the PB-1000 Pro and SB-1000 Pro?
Well “feeling” bass is a matter of spl. So yes. Even if you had four 18’s, at low volume you wouldn’t feel them. Below 30hz ported subs are more efficient and have more output naturally due to the port. Actually it can take as many as four sealed subs to equal the output of a comparable ported one at 20hz. But, you still have to turn it up.

O

OZ-ZERO

Audiophyte
Great hope it sounds good. One of the great things about SVS as you know is you can upgrade within 45 days for just for the up charge for the PB. Good listening!
My SB-1000 Pro arrived today.

I am extremely impressed and it is plenty loud even at moderate volume levels. I am very, very surprised. I suppose it helps that I'm in a small, sealed room.

I'm sure a ported sub might sound better but I'm in love with the gloss white finish.
IMG_20231208_161957933.jpg

If the PB-1000 Pro ever comes in gloss white then perhaps I'll switch it over!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis