Is the economy affecting your hobby?

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
With gas, food and everything going up is it putting the brakes on upgrades or even music and movie purchases? One thing is if your home more you can explore more music and get to movies you havent watched.
I just upgraded midrange drivers on my mains which was a lot of money and doubt much else will be looked at for some time, but to be honest I am far enough along to not sweat a pause in changes. So have you been affected?

F

fox

Audioholic
In May, I added a new Panamax surge suppressor/power conditioner and in June an SVS. But I think that will do it for awhile and that is fine with me. Maybe someday, a BR player, but that can wait. The economy did not keep me from upgrading of late, but I did think twice about doing it. But no more either. Besides, gas jumped another 10 cents here too. And well...it's hard here in the USA.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My confidence in the economy is affecting my decisions, no doubt. With job security being lower than last year, I am far less inclined to make a luxury purchase like A/V gear.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Luckily, I'm not in need or desire for anything at this moment. If I were, the money would not be there.

Afterall, I just got a 2.8% annual raise.
Cha-friggin'-ching baby..................:mad:

The economy is affecting every other aspect of my life. But I'm content with my HT. Still waiting for that $200 Bluray player.;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just remembered - I got my stimulus check yesterday. Woohoo! Hey, kidding aside, I'm not going to complain about getting money. It was going to help with a new receiver when I thought my Pioneer was done with, but now that it's working again, I'm good. My next purchase will likely be a TV, but that won't be until the end of the year or later.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
After doing a lot of upgrading as of late, I think I am just going to chill for a while. My next purchase will be a BR player or a PS3 not really sure at this time. I am also waiting to see what Oppo comes out with before making my decision. In the mean time, I plan to pay off some debts so that when I do upgrade it will be easier. Right now, the economy is affecting my spending in a rather significant way. That is, I am just living tighter and focusing more on my needs as opposed to my wants. I am sure economy is impacting many of us here.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
F

fox

Audioholic
I know someone who is still waiting for his stimulus check. He talked to the IRS some weeks ago, and they didn't know what to say to him. So now he is supposed to wait until about now and if he still hadn't gotten it, come back to the IRS office. So I guess if one did get their check, feel blessed. At least you and I did.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I definitly see an impact in the used audio resale side of the house. However, it's a great time to get some bargains in hi-fi right now. Like some others have stated, I'm in no need of anything hardcore and even if I was, I'd probably think twice since I could just wait.

There's nothing in audio worth dying for....unless it's something really cool, and after you start walking away with it, the seller starts chasing you.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
No. Even with paying more for everything then Americans, no.

SheepStar

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for all replies, I guess I should note that my dad bought the ribbons for my birthday next week and I am going to get his hand-me-down Classe mono blocks when his new amps arrives in a couple weeks but I am selling my Aragon amps to give him some cash. I also am selling my Innersound Electrostats but in this economy they are not budgeing even at just $1200 for a $8000 speaker made in 2001, I have seriously thought of just giving them away to keep karma current:).
I did an inventory today and I see I have 90 CD, 30 DVD and 11 LP's I havent even opened so I am going to fix that very soon! If some need to slow down for a bit on upgrades they wont get so hung up on buying this or that and actually use the system they have to get entertainment from music and movies and if that happens that is a good thing IMO. Cheers and thanks

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It's been a while since I've bought any audio gear and it's likely to be another long while before I buy anything. I suppose the economy is a factor, but simply one among many. I've never really been good with money, but I am trying to get myself in the best financial condition that I can. I figure it's what I should be doing anyway, regardless of the economy.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Nope!!

In fact just last week I finally upgraded my front speakers and centre channel and we even replaced our kitchen counter with granite.:)
*Ps: On the serious side I hope all is well at home.*

Last edited:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
My confidence in the economy is affecting my decisions, no doubt. With job security being lower than last year, I am far less inclined to make a luxury purchase like A/V gear.
I think Adam hit the nail right on the head about the general feeling of most people. HT equipment is a discretionary spend.

Question: How can you tell if you are a true audioholic?

Answer: The will give up eating out, new cloths, new appliances and other luxuries to be able to get their new HT quipment :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Question: How can you tell if you are a true audioholic?
:D

If the economy goes south, my fellow Tucsonan AH will be able to recognize me on the corner by my sign: "Broke. Desperate. Can't hit below 20Hz. Anything will help. Thanks."

Either that, or "Will work for bass."

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I'm pretty satisfied with my present system. Perhaps a new display for the HT room in the not too distant future. We have no debt except the mortgage and that balance is kind of covered by cash sitting in a CD earning a paltry interest rate.....but it's just nice to know it's there;)...just in case.

Just been stashing cash and waiting. There may be some good bargains coming down the pike. Always prepared for the worse case scenario with plenty of whiskey and gunpowder :D

Mort

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
I have a new receiver on my wishlist, but with a new (sort of, 10 mo. old) baby, and with gas/food prices, that is on hold for a little while. Unless of course there is a super deal I can't pass up :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Absolutely. I have been putting off a new display due to other things, and now I will put it off even further. No large purchases planned for my system otherwise as I am completely happy with it. I have cut back considerably on BD purchases, though not stopped completley.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have cut back considerably on BD purchases, though not stopped completley.
I'm not sure if that is saying much. :p

AV is definitely the first money-pit-hobby I've ever picked up. Its pretty dangerous! :eek: Basketball, chess, reading, etc are practically free... :rolleyes:

As long as I stay away from boating, golf, cars/RV/jetski/motorcycles... :eek: ..Vegas :eek:... ummm....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, going from buying 6-8 titles a month to about 1-2 is a pretty big difference :) I've been buying used and/or private a lot lately to get good pricing.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I only have a 720P projector so I have no interest in going Blu till I go 1080P, my living room monitor does 1080I but its on 34' and I am sure I am not alone in thinking compared to a Projector "Thats no fricken fun!" I did buy a HDDVD player but only have a few selections and really enjoy my Lexicon lowly 480P.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis