Is it safe to apply lemon oil to Rosewood veneered speaker cabinets?

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Hi guys/gals, I just purchased some Wharfedale Jade Series speakers in Rosewood veneer (NON-lacquer / NO piano gloss finish). Is it safe to apply some Old English lemon oil to the wood for protection and to bring out the luster?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
if it has a clear coat finish on it though, oil is not needed or helpful. jim salk recommends just wiping his speakers down with a soft damp cloth occasionally and he knows wood finishes like no one's business. if it has an oil finish on it, then i would go with a finish that is safe for antiques. many have recommended howards restore a finish or the like.

Last edited:
A

addictaudio

Audioholic
It is a NON piano finish and has no lacquer. Just actual Rosewood wood veneer. Heck, but our cars have clear coat finishes, and we still apply waxes and sealant to add shine and protect the finish.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
It is a NON piano finish and has no lacquer. Just actual Rosewood wood veneer. Heck, but our cars have clear coat finishes, and we still apply waxes and sealant to add shine and protect the finish.
Email Jim Salk. He'll probably be willing to help, but don't expect the quickest reply. Afterall, you're not a customer. He'll give you the best advice.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I use Poppys on my wharfedale rosewood evos Wood Furniture Cleaner and Polish

– Wipe dry with a dry, soft cloth in the directionof the wood grain.
– Spills should be immediately wiped up with a damp cloth.
Once a month
– Clean the surface with a soft cloth dampened with a quality cleaner formulated for wood furniture.
– Wipe the surface in the direction of the wood grain to remove dirt and fingerprints.
– Wipe dry with a clean, dry cloth.
Twice a year
– Apply a good quality furniture polish with a soft cloth.
Do not use aerosol-powered cleaners or polishes

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The clearcoats on cars are just a layer of paint without pigment to increase gloss and the illusion of depth. It is a myth that automotive clearcoats provide any special protection.

With wood the question is whether the finish is the type that permeates the wood, which is usually based on a vegetable oil, or acts like a coat of paint and seals it, like urethane. It sounds like the OP's rosewood veneer has a non-sealing finish, though it could be a very thin urethane. Regardless of which it is, most premium furniture cleaning or oiling products won't do it any harm. Products intended for permeable finishes may not do any good, but doing harm is unlikely. Lemon oil or orange oil is good for treating dried-out wood, or perhaps an annual treatment to help preserve wood, but unless you live in the desert regular oiling of wood even with a permeable finish is IMO overkill. Much of our furniture, like the desk I'm typing this on, has a permeable finish. I prefer Howard's Feed-n-Wax to the popular orange oil products, because it doesn't leave an oily mess to contend with, but there are a lot of interesting specialty products on the market, since furniture-making is such a popular hobby.

Last edited:
J

jewel5

Audiophyte
Wharfedale claims the jade's are made of layered mdf which they call crystallam. Looking at mine, I'd be concerned with putting any oils on it. It may absorb the oil unevenly and put spots on it. I would contact wharfedale before I put anything on it. If you find their facebook page, the wharfedale representative(forget his name) responds pretty quickly.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Folks, above are some pictures of some Wharfedale jade 5's in Vintage Cherry wood veneer. The Rosewood is just like this, with no lacquer or gloss. Wharfedale defines the material as:
Crystalam
– a laminated material formed from a series of critically specified natural wood elements and composites, formulated to reduce panel vibration and acoustic leakage to below audibility.

I believe that all speakers with curvatures, need to have several thin pieces of wood bonded together, otherwise, the curvature could not be formed.

The manuals are of no help. I think that they are written in China, but have parts that do not apply to the Jade series. Wharfedale confirmed this. Here is the deal. Wharfedale USA suggested using lemon oil. Wharfedale UK stated that the manual only recommended a dry or damp cloth, but that lemon oil should not hurt it, but that I should first try on an unconspicuous location:)

J

jewel5

Audiophyte
I say go for it, and let us know. :D Also, those Jade 5s are gorgeous!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Here is the deal. Wharfedale USA suggested using lemon oil. Wharfedale UK stated that the manual only recommended a dry or damp cloth, but that lemon oil should not hurt it, but that I should first try on an unconspicuous location:)
Sounds like you have your answer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis