Is it possible to put a home theater subwoofer in a car?

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
This question is probably retarded...

But I got a Dayton 15" Titanic, great subwoofer and im going home for summer. I would hate to let it just sit at my college house while i'm gone so I was wondering if there was any way to install this in my car?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This question is probably retarded...

But I got a Dayton 15" Titanic, great subwoofer and im going home for summer. I would hate to let it just sit at my college house while i'm gone so I was wondering if there was any way to install this in my car?
You will need power inverter. These are quite expensive, and draw a lot of current, so you would likely have to upgrade your car electrical system including a more powerful alternator. This would be a lot of work, and unless you are expert at car installations, will put your vehicle at risk.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I cant tell if the OP is actually reffering to the actual driver or the whole sub. If just the driver then yes you can. A friend of mine used the 12" titanic driver for a DIY subwoofer and it was very impressive to say the least. ;) Just make sure your using a box that will give you the most out of that particular driver. The guys over at Parts Express should be able to help you out with that.

If your trying to run the whole shebang in your car you'd be better off getting a car amplifier instead of rigging something up to power the home one. I know its kinda "ghetto" but you can run some speaker wire up through the ports if there are any and then leave the 120v amp in there to seal the hole that would be there if you took it out.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Woofers are Woofers are Woofers. Whole subwoofers are a different story, and I honestly think it would be easier, and cheaper, to get a car subwoofer setup (amp being the important thing).

SheepStar

L

lukerO7

Audiophyte
home subwoofer in a car

Would It Work If I Pluged A Home Sub Woofer Into A Car Amplifier Into The Out Or In Colered Plugins And Used A 120 Volt Power Converter That Plugs Into The Cigertet Lighter To Plug The Amp In???

Matt34

Matt34

Would It Work If I Pluged A Home Sub Woofer Into A Car Amplifier Into The Out Or In Colered Plugins And Used A 120 Volt Power Converter That Plugs Into The Cigertet Lighter To Plug The Amp In???

Seriously? :eek:

L

lukerO7

Audiophyte
yah im serirous lol
haha sry
well so it wouldent work???
then how would i do that???
do you know?

A

Alex at SVS

Audioholic Intern
I don't know about your car, but my cigarette lighter couldn't even handle a 150W lightbulb running through an inverter. You're very likely to blow the fuse.

annunaki

annunaki

Most cigarette lighters are only good to 15 amps 12V DC of continuous draw. It is not adequate to power a 500-1000 watt plate amplifier.

A power inverter would be fine if it is properly wired into the vehicle's electrical system to allow sufficiently higher current draw.

In any case, your best bet would be a car audio amplifier.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Check fleabay for deals on power converters - I got a 1200W one a couple of years ago off there for $50 wired it to my car with no issues - use it for camping - YMMV. Seems like if it's a large sub it would be an odd and un-secure fit in a car though and you may want to stick with a car sub. Of course it's your call...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Running a home audio powered subwoofer in a car is an expensive process, a waste of time, a waste of labor, and completely pointless.

Using a subwoofer driver, such as the Dayton mentioned, would be fine as long as the amplifier being used to power it is adequate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis