Is it better to put a subwoofer down?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
In you opinion why in the manual of the subwoofer do they recommended to put it externally to the frontal speakers? They mean on the left or on the right.
They actually recommend corner placement, I think that's what you'll find the manual shows. It's happenstance that the diagram shows the subwoofer to the left or right of the left or right speakers. That subwoofer is designed to go with small speakers. In order to get the most output from that subwoofer corner placement would be ideal, for accuracy and being less localizable, between the front left and right speakers is ideal. Experiment and decide for yourself. Only you can be the judge of what sounds best to you. But I will echo what others said about putting the subwoofer on the floor being better than on a shelf or console as you say.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, if we're talking about those Bose "subwoofers" then he was correct in the beginning. Out of mercy, they should be put down.
Nah, that's too quick. They deserve to suffer.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
I thank you for your pleasant replies. In 3-4 days I will get the new receiver and I will make that test. However I would like to attach the writings there are on the sobwoofer manual.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What you've posted does not contradict whet you've been told numerous times..

I think we're all familiar with subwoofer positioning and I also think we've all been to that rodeo before and found, by trial and error, what works best for each of us.

You asked for opinions and you got them. We tried to share our experience with you but you don't seem convinced that we're steering you in the right direction.

Now, one thing that was NOT mentioned. You say you will be using Bose satellites. If these were initially part of a setup with a "subwoofer", then you want to make sure you still use that "subwoofer" that came with them. Don't use them without it.

The reason is that when you fed the signal through that "subwoofer", it has a filter to prevent bass from reaching the satellites. Without that filter you run a risk of blowing out those satellites.

Now, you can use that new sub in conjunction with the complete Bose system but I don't recommend running the satellites alone..

Last edited:
F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
After reading your writing now I need to cry. Yes these satellites were initially part of a setup with a passive subwoofer. What can I do to not to break these satellites with this new active subwoofer?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
After reading your writing now I need to cry. Yes these satellites were initially part of a setup with a passive subwoofer. What can I do to not to break these satellites with this new active subwoofer?
the best bet is to use the original "subwoofer" that came with them. You can use the new one in conjunction with them to take over where they fall short.

Barring that, not much really. I think the "subwoofer" blocked any frequencies below 280 hz or so. Unless you can find a real subwoofer that does that, I can't think of anything

Some, not all, real subwoofers will strip out low frequencies but I think they work from 80 - 120 hz range, nothing higher.

Looking at the specs for your subwoofer, I can't find any mention of it stripping out any high frequencies at all. Your satellites will be running full range.

Perhaps your receiver can help somewhat but I'm not sure they will work at that high a frequency.

Last edited:
F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
In the event that my satellites should break, can you suggest me two new cheap speakers that I will buy instead of satellites?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not knowing what's available where you are nor what your budget would be, no.

But, to be honest, I think you would be better off, and happier by simply planning for them ASAP wether your satellite survive or not.

A quick look at your Amazon pages, I'd shoot for the Tannoys or the Elac Debut 6's but, then again, that depends on your budget..

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
I don't understand very fine what you are telling me but do you think I can do without satellites? What can I buy please intead of satellites? Normal speakers? Give me a suggestion, if I have bought that cheap sobwoofer my budget is low. ;)

PS: About Tannoys do you think it can be ok with that subwoofer?
http://www.amazon.it/Mercury-V1i-Monitor-diffusori-compatti/dp/B00EO0WKFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454689050&sr=8-1&keywords=Tannoys

I already have these monitors in another equipment audio: http://www.amazon.it/EDIFIER-R1600T-Plus-Sistema-Altoparlanti/dp/B0038JULWW Do you think they are ok with the new subwoofer? If they are OK I can use them.
THANKS

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't understand very fine what you are telling me but do you think I can do without satellites?
Basically, those satellite speakers suck and may or may not survive a full range signal.

What can I buy please intead of satellites? Normal speakers? Give me a suggestion, if I have bought that cheap sobwoofer my budget is low. ;)
I just gave you two suggestions.

Satellites are "normal" speakers. The term "satellite" is generally used when referring to small speakers that share a common bass box, like your Bose system.

Yes. They will be fine

I already have these monitors in another equipment audio: http://www.amazon.it/EDIFIER-R1600T-Plus-Sistema-Altoparlanti/dp/B0038JULWW Do you think they are ok with the new subwoofer? If they are OK I can use them.
THANKS
Those are powered speakers and require a line level input, not a speaker level input. If your receiver has line level outputs, yes, they should work.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I ask you one last courtesy please, I am not an expert guy. I have just bounght this receiver: http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00X5WKYWO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Can you tell me if I can use EDIFIER-R1600T-Plus with that receiver please? THANKS
No, those won't work with that receiver.

Italy?

Are there stores you can go to listen to speakers?

This is what I suggest, go listen to as many as you can, even the ones outside your price range. This will help you determine what you like. Then go back and make a budget for some new speakers, then explore what is available in that budget.

I would never suggest totally relying on OUR recommendations for speakers because we can't know what you like. Speakers all sound very different, and you should buy what you like.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Here's the specs for us English speakers

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR545&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

the answer is yes and no. They won't work with your main speakers. You can use them in the Zone 2 outputs since these are line level outputs but the subwoofer won't work with them.

[edit] And, Seth is right. We can only SUGGEST what WE thin we would go for. Since every speaker is different and everyone's tastes is different, don't rely 100% on what we suggest.

Go listen to as many speakers as you can.

Last edited:
F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Listen carefully.

But do frontal speakes have to communicate with subwoofer? I did not know it .... but may be I don't understand you.
The subwoofer ONLY works with your main speakers.

Why I cannot connect my Edifier on "Front" panel of receiver?
I have no idea what you're talking about and neither do you.

Didn't I recommend these earlier? Why would I recommend something that won't work? Do you think I'm stupid?

You tend to ask the same questions over and over. If you want more advise, start paying attention to what's being said.

Last edited:
F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Now I understand everything about your suggestions. I thank you for your availabiility.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
@FoxAdriano A better way of saying it is the Tannoy speakers are compatible with the Onkyo receiver and the Yamaha Subwoofer is compatible with the Onkyo receiver. So by extension the Tannoy speakers are compatible with the Yamaha subwoofer.

The Tannoy speakers are far superior to your Bose speakers. If you can buy them, then you should.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the Tannoy will definitely make you smile!
They may sound a little weird at first if you are used to your Bose satellites, but soon enough, you will recognize how profoundly better they are.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
@FoxAdriano A better way of saying it is the Tannoy speakers are compatible with the Onkyo receiver and the Yamaha Subwoofer is compatible with the Onkyo receiver. So by extension the Tannoy speakers are compatible with the Yamaha subwoofer.

The Tannoy speakers are far superior to your Bose speakers. If you can buy them, then you should.
Reminds me of my high school geometry class.

A = C
B = C
Therefore, A = B

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis