Is it bad to pre-build a box before knowing projector?

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
I have a buddy who is just framing his house. He has a dedicated HT and he has already built a "box" for the projector. I am assuming the box will give him the support he is looking for so he won't have to worry about the installation later. However, he doesn't know what size screen or what type of projector he will be using. Won't this create an issue later? I know projectors have a disignated "throw" range but is it possible or even likely that he will be limiting his choice of projectors by where he has placed his box? Thanks
Roly

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
rolyasm said:
I have a buddy who is just framing his house. He has a dedicated HT and he has already built a "box" for the projector. I am assuming the box will give him the support he is looking for so he won't have to worry about the installation later. However, he doesn't know what size screen or what type of projector he will be using. Won't this create an issue later? I know projectors have a disignated "throw" range but is it possible or even likely that he will be limiting his choice of projectors by where he has placed his box? Thanks
Roly

Good thinking on your part, the cart before the horse:D

Yes, projectors have a throw distance. His preset location will limit the screen size up front before you consider enough lumens on screen. Then, ventilation is critical and important.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
A mistake waiting to happen! He should do some research before he gets much further.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
AVRat said:
A mistake waiting to happen! He should do some research before he gets much further.

Maybe he like to remodel before he finishes projects:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is a horrible decision on the part of your friend unless he has done a lot of homework on the matter.

1. Ventilation jumps up as the first thing that must be considered. (forgetting all else). While he likely can find a projector that works, if the box is built to tight around the projector and doesn't allow for proper airflow into and out of the projector then EVERY projector purchased will overheat and die - very quickly.

2. Projectors, mounted up high, are typically designed to be hung upside down. So, there is not a good reason for a box unless it is a fully ventilated hush-box. More diffiult than some people think.

3. The throw range - yes, you already have that figured out. But, the reality is that if his box is about 12-14 feet from the wall then he likely will be in the 100" screen range size with most projectors. This is not of serious concern to me really if his distance is pretty close to that.

4. The lens offset is a bigger issue. He may have to pony up some extra cash to get the projector to sit inside the box correctly and hit the screen correctly.

I just don't get the 'box'. If you want to hide your projector then get a long throw lens and put it in a different room. If that doesn't work, then go with a projector lift and completely hide it from view. Only a select few people are up to what it takes to properly build a hush box... and I'm not convinced by what you have said that your friend is that person.

Errr.... good luck to him though. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis