Is it $200 worth - AVR-X4300H vs AVR-X3300W

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
I know the AVR4300, gives me 2 more channels, phono input, HEOS and 20W more. But I don't think I will use more than 7.1 right now. I like to hear your opinion if is it worth to spend $200 more. The only thing that maybe I will use is the phono because I'm thinking on buying one, but not sure yet either (like the idea because I grew up with records but since the 80's I'm using digital).

Thanks

lavjr

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
By all accounts, the 3300 is a solid AVR. If there are no added features of the 4300 that are of compelling value to you, save the $200!
You have probably seen it, but here is the review of the 3300.
Be wary of reading the power charts as AH put the power chart for a Yamaha AVR just before the Denon (to emphasize that the Yamaha was an uncharacteristically poor design)
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1

But try to wait another day for responses, someone else may know a reason you want a feature that you don't believe you do.

What speakers will you be using?

But I don't think I will use more than 7.1 right now...The only thing that maybe I will use is the phono because I'm thinking on buying one, but not sure yet...
Evaluate those uncertainties in bold, obviously, they are key to your decision.
For planning purposes, I'd look at an AVR as a 8-12 year purchase (unless something truly amazing is introduced and made price competitive before then).

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
By all accounts, the 3300 is a solid AVR. If there are no added features of the 4300 that are of compelling value to you, save the $200!
You have probably seen it, but here is the review of the 3300.
Be wary of reading the power charts as AH put the power chart for a Yamaha AVR just before the Denon (to emphasize that the Yamaha was an uncharacteristically poor design)
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1

But try to wait another day for responses, someone else may know a reason you want a feature that you don't believe you do.

What speakers will you be using?

Evaluate those uncertainties in bold, obviously, they are key to your decision.
For planning purposes, I'd look at an AVR as a 8-12 year purchase (unless something truly amazing is introduced and made price competitive before then).
Hi Kurt,

I have the Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitor as my bookshelf speaker and center. Later will be buying a SVS SB-1000 as my subwoofer. And yes I have my Onkyo TX-SR506 Receiver for 10 years. Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't really think of a compelling reason to go with the 4300. There isn't a whole lot of difference feature-wise and they both have Audyssey MultEQ XT32. You could funnel that 200 saved into a better subwoofer (PB2000 or VTF-2 MK5). You're off to a good start with your speakers.

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
I can't really think of a compelling reason to go with the 4300. There isn't a whole lot of difference feature-wise and they both have Audyssey MultEQ XT32. You could funnel that 200 saved into a better subwoofer (PB2000 or VTF-2 MK5). You're off to a good start with your speakers.
Hi Pogre,

My room is only 10x10, listening/viewing distance around 8 feet the PB2000 or VTF-2 MK5 could be too much?
But I agree on not being too much as a difference to justify the $200 extra. But I like to see if anybody else disagree.

Thanks
lavjr

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are buying for your main ultimate system, then I think the $200 is worth it.

I think the X4300 may have better quality, measurements, and power output and may run cooler.

Otherwise, I think the X3300 is an excellent component with solid measurements.

For my family room, I am using the X3100 to power my two 4-ohms RBH speakers to volumes > 90dB from a listening distance of 17FT in a 22'x23'x13' room that is very open.

Someone else can talk about the heat production of the X4300.

But I can say that the X3100 and AVR-3312 and other 3000-series I know run VERY HOT after 2 hours.

However, I placed four 120mm USB-powered fans on top of my X3100 (blowing air upward) and now even after 2 hours of listening to 80-90dB volumes from 17FT away, my X3100 actually runs COOL!!!! I mean the temperature feels as if the AVR were never turned on!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There is no such thing as too much! :p

Though those room dimensions are pretty small. I would still go with the next step up. Having plenty of bass on tap is a good problem to have. I'm thinking you'd really like VTF-2. You have a lot of options for tuning it to fit your tastes. Like it sealed? Plug both ports. Ported? No problem. You have 2 different eq settings to choose from and the Q adjustable too. I have a pair of the VTF-3 MK5's which are the big brother to the VTF-2 and I still like to play with different settings.

They're a great value and it leaves you with a little room for expansion down the road if you choose.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I hope you are estimating room size, because a square room will result in a humongous room mode (at around 56Hz in your case).

Here is a good explanation of room modes (resonance frequencies):
http://artsites.ucsc.edu/ems/music/tech_background/TE-02/modes/Modes.html

Here is a nice calculator:
http://amroc.andymel.eu/?l=10&w=9&h=8&ft=true&r60=0.6
(Be sure to change units from cm to ft)

However, the calculator doesn't seem to consider the additive effect of having both length and width of the same dimension which would result in greater extremes.

You may end up needing a miniDSP to manage this, but see what happens. The miniDSP and mic cost around $170 and REW (measurement software) is free. However, if you can swap rooms, that is probably a better plan.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Kurt,

I have the Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitor as my bookshelf speaker and center. Later will be buying a SVS SB-1000 as my subwoofer. And yes I have my Onkyo TX-SR506 Receiver for 10 years. Thanks
Sorry, I was in a rush earlier and forgot I didn't reply!

Those speakers will not require anything special in power demands, so the 3300 has plenty of power for.
Truth is the 20Watts difference doesn't amount to much. If your speakers needed external amplification on the 3300, you'd probably want external amps for the 4300 as well.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The 4300 has 9 channels of built in amplification, but also has 11 channel processing, so in the event you want to add atmos speakers, you can add 4 instead of just doing 5.1.2. Adding an external amp would allow up to a full 7.2.4. The 4300 also has two 12v triggers, the 3300 only has one. The 4300 has a second HDMI monitor out for the main zone, and the flip down front plate which gives the receiver a cleaner look, and the phono input as you already mentioned. I think it is worth the extra money for the 4300, and better to have those extra features and not need them, then to want to upgrade one day and have to get a new receiver because the one you have doesn't do what you want/need.

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
I hope you are estimating room size, because a square room will result in a humongous room mode (at around 56Hz in your case).

Here is a good explanation of room modes (resonance frequencies):
http://artsites.ucsc.edu/ems/music/tech_background/TE-02/modes/Modes.html

Here is a nice calculator:
http://amroc.andymel.eu/?l=10&w=9&h=8&ft=true&r60=0.6
(Be sure to change units from cm to ft)

However, the calculator doesn't seem to consider the additive effect of having both length and width of the same dimension which would result in greater extremes.

You may end up needing a miniDSP to manage this, but see what happens. The miniDSP and mic cost around $170 and REW (measurement software) is free. However, if you can swap rooms, that is probably a better plan.
Yeah don't have another room and I'm sure it is 10x10.
Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For $200 more, I would go for the 4300. It will be superseded soon so you should try to bargain harder.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For $200 more, I would go for the 4300. It will be superseded soon so you should try to bargain harder.
The problem is the remaining supply of the X4300.

My Denon distributor had four Denon 4300 in stock 1 day ago. Today it is completely sold old. :D

They are already taking orders for the X4400. But if the distributors don't even have any supplies left of the X4300, the dealers won't even be able to sell the 4300 at $799 anymore.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you are buying for your main ultimate system, then I think the $200 is worth it.

I think the X4300 may have better quality, measurements, and power output and may run cooler.

Otherwise, I think the X3300 is an excellent component with solid measurements.

For my family room, I am using the X3100 to power my two 4-ohms RBH speakers to volumes > 90dB from a listening distance of 17FT in a 22'x23'x13' room that is very open.

Someone else can talk about the heat production of the X4300.

But I can say that the X3100 and AVR-3312 and other 3000-series I know run VERY HOT after 2 hours.

However, I placed four 120mm USB-powered fans on top of my X3100 (blowing air upward) and now even after 2 hours of listening to 80-90dB volumes from 17FT away, my X3100 actually runs COOL!!!! I mean the temperature feels as if the AVR were never turned on!
My 4300h gets here on friday so I'll test it to make sure everything is good. Heat will be one thing since it's a concern. I'll post results here.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The problem is the remaining supply of the X4300.

My Denon distributor had four Denon 4300 in stock 1 day ago. Today it is completely sold old. :D

They are already taking orders for the X4400. But if the distributors don't even have any supplies left of the X4300, the dealers won't even be able to sell the 4300 at $799 anymore.
How about the 4200, are they still available new in the box?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My 4300h gets here on friday so I'll test it to make sure everything is good. Heat will be one thing since it's a concern. I'll post results here.
The only 4000-series Denon I've own was the 4311, and I didn't think it got hot at all. Warm, but not hot like all the 3000-series.

The 5000-series runs cooler than the 4000.

However, with the 120mm USB fans on top, even the 3000-series (with fans) will run cooler than the Denon AVP-A1HDCI (without fans) !!!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You can run the 4300 in eco mode, it's said to make the receiver run about 10 degrees cooler.

A4L has the 4300 refurb right now for $699
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4300h/denon-avr-x4300h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

or the 4200 for $649
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4200w/denon-avr-x4200w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Both are factory refurbs with a 1 year warranty. I would go with the 4300 for sure.

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
Hi panteragstk,

Did you get the x4300? If yes what are your impressions about it? What about the heat?

Thanks
Luiz V

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hi panteragstk,

Did you get the x4300? If yes what are your impressions about it? What about the heat?

Thanks
Luiz V
I did, but it is sitting in my theater room with all the subs and speakers waiting to be installed. I've got lots of work to do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis